Does buying physical silver bullion mean you are investing?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

If the price of silver is going up it's an investment.

If the price is stable it's wealth preservation.

If the price is falling it's a collectable.

:rolleyes:

C

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

And if the price explodes it's MARKET FORCES that break manipulators.
    And if the price collapses it's BLATANT MANIPULATION selling silver whose purchase never affected the price.
    And if the price shows a perfect horizontal then there is something VERY WEIRD going on. FOLLOW LIVE UPDATES!!

(but it's a holiday in some parts of the world).

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

@ Miloman,

You've made very poor arguments. Let me explain why:

When you buy insurance, you are buying a guarantee against loss or damage or whatever you are paying the insurance company to cover you for. All insurance companies in the U.S. are obligated to be members of an insurance guaranty association. That's the law and it further guarantees protection against loss or damage or whatever you are paying insurance for.

<< <<
    Insurance guaranty associations provide protection to insurance policyholders and beneficiaries of policies issued by an insurance company that has become insolvent and is no longer able to meet its obligations. All states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico have insurance guaranty associations. Insurance companies are required by law to be members of the guaranty association in states in which they are licensed to do business.

Most states have two types of guaranty associations: a life and health guaranty association and a property and casualty insurance guaranty association. >> >>

https://www.acli.com/Tools/Industry Facts/Guaranty Associations/Pages/FS08-007.aspx#q1

If no one is guaranteed protection for what they purchased the insurance for, then there'd be no reason in the world to buy that insurance in the first place. That's what insurance is and is intended for. An insurance company will face serious criminal charges if it doesn't pay the insured what the policy covers. State and federal laws backs up that guarantee. Neither silver itself nor anyone and nothing for that matter backs up loss of value by silver...it's NOT insurance.

The reason why silver is NOT insurance is because it guarantees nothing, not a single thing against loss or damage. You can pretend till the cows come home that it is insurance but it isn't. That's the reality on the ground and every time the bottom drops on silver and the price comes down this reality is proof that silver is not insurance since silver won't magically protect you against the loss that you may have sustained investing your hard earned money into a risky commodity.

You yourself are acknowledging (without you even realizing it) that silver is NOT insurance when you assert "Silver and gold CAN indeed act as protection..." emphasis on CAN. If you buy insurance, what you are paying for is a guarantee against some loss (or damage or whatever you are being insured for). Who would protect you when the bottom drops out on silver when you didn't even pay a single cent for guaranteed protection???

Finally, you are greatly mistaken in believing that gold and silver are money today...they are not at all. I have seen no one to date posit a sensible argument in favor of silver and gold being money today. And please don't tell me that in Bumchuck Idaho or DillyWilly Seychelles that a shop there will treat a nugget of silver or gold as money...that would be the type of absurd argument I have seen by the other misguided stackers who make the same untrue claim. Central Banks consider gold as an asset, not as money. Money has to have very specific properties recognized widely.

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice to see your sarcastic side every now and then Pirocco.... :)

5. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

You are absolutely correct and we're all wrong. All these years I've been buying silver as insurance and it's now obvious all along I've been investing in silver. Thanks for pointing it out. I wonder what other flawed thinking I've had but I'm sure you'll point it out in future posts. Thanks again for knowing our thoughts better than we do.

6. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How about silver as a hedge against the devaluation of a nation's fiat currency?

7. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Maybe you're not understanding him, or I'm not fully understanding you. It's true that you can't be insured against silver dropping in price. We're not buying insurance FOR the silver, but rather silver IS the insurance against a total economic collapse. You're talking too much in terms of fiat, where the value of silver is pegged to the dollar. If the dollar value collapse to zero, does that mean silver is also worth zero? Absolutely not. In such event, your wealth is still stored in the silver you've accumulated, while anything you had in fiat is worthless. That in itself is an insurance of your wealth during an economic collapse.

8. mmissinglink

@ a1nipper,

Unfortunately for you, you are NOT "we". You speak for yourself. Your thoughts can be that you believe that Joe's 10 year old daughter is your property ...doesn't make your thoughts valid or true....so yes, I can and will correct your thinking when you are woefully mistaken as I know it to be in this discussion.

Good day.

9. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

You can say buying silver is bad insurance and that's fine. I can say investing in silver is a bad idea and that's fine. But it's complete arrogance to say I'm not buying silver for insurance. I'm simply stating you are arrogant. You're stating because I'm buying physical silver, I'm investing, even though I'm stating it's for insurance. You can say what you want. You're arrogant

10. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

And to bring Joe's 10 year old daughter into it. Where did that come from?

11. mmissinglink

Hi iluvbeanz,

I appreciate you making an effort to understand my important points.

The only meaningful value that silver could have in the aftermath of a hypothetical currency collapse in the future is that it is valued as money. The value of silver in terms of being able to be used as money is no different than the value of seashells was during its heyday. It is based on personal feelings. It's definitely not insurance at all. It's merely a belief you hold onto that silver will be valued at some unstated, unquantified, uncertain,and unknown level in the future. Silver is NOT bound to your beliefs, miloman's beliefs, nor my beliefs. There's no evidence at all anywhere that in some hypothetical collapse scenario 90 years from now (or how many decades down the future this hypothetical collapse may occur) that blobs of silver will be valued at all. That's a belief system, not insurance. Insurance would be more like owning enforceable rights to necessities such as clean potable water, food, or energy. People will more or less ALWAYS need these things to live and function in a meaningful way...no one needs silver blobs to live and function. 90 years from now, people could value seashells again or anything else. None of us knows that future. That's why silver is not insurance.

People who store seashells are guaranteed to have seashells, not wealth. People who store silver are guaranteed to have silver, not wealth.

Please don't think that I don't believe that there isn't a good chance that precious metals will hold value over a long period of time and in a hypothetical SHTF scenario....I do believe this....but it's merely my belief and it's the reason why I have invested some money into blobs of silver. There's no guarantee at all that these blobs will be worth much if anything at all in the future (and no guarantee at all that they will be treated as money)....that's why it's NOT insurance.

There's as much reason to believe (maybe even more) that there will be a currency reset in the U.S. as opposed to a currency collapse. There's no evidence at all that even if there would be a full on collapse of the U.S. dollar that silver or gold would be seen as default money by the vast majority of people in the U.S. Silver hasn't been money in the US for decades and no one but a tiny percentage of people (some or many stackers) in the U.S. value it as such. In no way is silver insurance as much as you, I, and Miloman believe that it will be valued for a long time to come.

12. mmissinglink

It's a belief you could hold just like the beliefs you hold regarding silver. Just because it's your belief doesn't mean it's valid.

13. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I firmly believe it was a derogatory comment. You should be ashamed for having made it.

14. mmissinglink

It wasn't meant to be derogatory, I'm sorry that you took it that way. It was meant to be poignant.

15. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I'm awaiting others comments to see if I'm wrong.

16. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

mmissinglink,

I gone to some length to qualified and make my point very clear.

It's fine you see it differently, many of us obviously disagree with considerable evidence. Continuing further from here in the light of your attitude is futile. (I think others here should take note). We should leave this person alone. I think anyone reading the thread will quickly find there are counter points of view that are far more persasive that gold and silver given the circumstances can and do act as insurance/protection.

mmissinglink is stuck in the system and thinks the system is the one true "god" and benchmark. With it's "enforcement" & counter party "guarantees" (risks) etc. I can say this the world will not be using the current economic forms of exchange e.g. US dollars, Aussie dollars, China yuan, Thai baht etc. in 100 years. Can I say for sure, no but it's a near certainty. Can I say for sure that gold and silver will become revalued under the right economic environment, in the same way, no but.... well everyone here will get it, save the one vocal system worshipping "I'm right, your wrong".

Do not be persuaded from your own views. My view is that there are probably those who support the Establishment floating around on forums around the world. Gold and silver are historically cheap which is why I am adding a second ounce of silver to my stack right now, even if it's the regular purchase of 1 gram silver bar. I will make it to my second ounce!!! I will buy and buy and buy. Any amount of establishment talk makes me want to go out and buy another whole not half, that's right a whole 1 gram of silver.

Silver is good, current fiat system is evil.

Ezekiel 28:4
    By your wisdom and your understanding you have made wealth for yourself, and have gathered gold and silver into your treasuries;

Proverbs 17:3
    The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts.

1 Corinthians 3:12-14
    Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.

But remember...
    Psalm 119:127
    Therefore I love your commandments above gold, above fine gold.

1 Peter 1:7-8
    So that the tested genuineness of your faithmore precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by firemay be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory,

17. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any amount of religious guff makes me want to run.
    You had half a point until you started with the religious BS.

[​IMG]
    Source:

18. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Honestly this kind of thing kinda annoys me.

The pope is NOT Christian as your point clearly shows. Ratsinger protected pedophiles, the current pope was involved in the genocide in Argentina.

There are plenty of "false" teachers out there all trying to discredit the bible and make it look hypocritical. This is folly. The Catholic church is evil and protects evil. This is anti-Christ.

You're fine to disagree, that's your choice.

19. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I'm not religious but have no problem with those that are. Not a single comment about Joe's daughter? Maybe my skin is not as tough as I thought it was. Could be I was wrong, happened once before. :)

20. mmissinglink

You can wait till you are blue in the face because you are relying on a fallacy, specifically Argumentum ad populum. That means you can have every person you know assert that the earth is flat...doesn't make it so. So await as long as you like...doesn't mean a thing. Besides, you have made offensive remarks to me in this thread, you should be ashamed of yourself. I didn't go wetting my panties when you made those offensive remarks.

You appear to think that you have some special privilege to not feel offended. Let me tell you another fact - if I had a nickle for every unprovoked offensive comment lobbed at me in stacker forums, I'd be a very wealthy man.

Get over yourself already.