Is anyone excited about Mulligan Mints original coins/designs?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Pirocco, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I don't like SilverShields new designs. I like the old Mulligan Mint designs, and the new "Arise" from Gray, which look abit like the Freedom Phoenix. A rising eagle with an aura of sunrays behind, that's a pic I like. Who screwed who I don't know. I wasn't screwed, that I do know.

2. Pirocco

Btw, just noticed, 'Mullet Mint' instead of 'Mulligan Mint', I don't know Mullet Mint. Did you mix up stuff somewhere?

3. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLf99e6UxDI[/youtube]

4. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Kip is well versed on such things, any change of spelling was intentional, I am confident.
    The reason - no idea. Just his style, possibly.

5. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

I have to say, I don't really like the designs of the first ones you put up but the "It is the responsibility" coin.

6. Pirocco

The Liberty Leaf set/series has nothing to do with Mulligan Mint anyways (they are from Northwest Territorial Mint - Auburn, Washington USA) I just showed them to give examples of the kind design I like.

Maybe I have to use Silver Shit instead of Silver Shield then I'm well versed too! :D

7. Pirocco

The first Freedom Girl rounds were from SBSS/MM.
    It's only since Duane got the rights on the design, that MM/Gray ceased to have anything to do with it.
    And they will always float around on the resale market. People won't throw silver in the garbage bin and the likelyhood of these rounds being melted appears, at least to me, quite small.
    I know, since some floated to me. :D

8. kcaven

kcaven New Member

Just a pun-I'm not a fan

9. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Yes, but the SBSS/MM Freedom Girls I have seen are high premium.
    I'd rather get current issue proof SS Freedom compared to bullion SBSS/MM Freedom - and last I did a price comparison that is what I saw.
    A lot of 'stackers', or collectors, want a complete set of one each, and willing to pay high premium. Not me.
    It is not enough to say they will be floating around on the resale market - if prices are bullion, I do not want them now, or then.
    I've bought some things on the resale market, but I do not like it.

I'm trying to pick the winners coming out of the gate, get them at issue price.
    Get the tube quantity price break.
    Like others, I think spot in a few years will cover premiums I am paying. I'm hoping that the economy will be propped up enough that collectors will be looking for the current issues - that are a few years old by then - and there is competition in the bidding.
    I think the good money will be in limited issues, whether by quantity or by calendar, but I am, and continue to be, diversified.

10. Pirocco

Mulligan Mint ceased to exist.
    There won't be produced more.
    Aside of my liking of the designs, that also played an important role in decision taking.
    What will endless remilking of existing designs and corresponding production do to the price the newer-older go for? What's the difference between 1 limited issue of 10000 and 100 limited issues of 100?

11. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

There has to be innovation for success.
    Remilking is a dead end, I agree.

There was a time, in the USA, and if you didn't wear a plain white T-shirt, you didn't wear a T-shirt.
    Then someone put a message, logo, slogan on a T-shirt, and every changed. Who would have guessed.

When were the first collectable silver rounds with a political or philosophical message? Isn't this a new event - at least on this scale?
    I know silver rounds were available from gift shops and such, but not meant for collecting.
    I think this is the start of a long running trend, which lasts longer than a fad.
    I think it is a money maker, and will attract talent, for design, die making, production, more.
    There is a lot or rehashing going on, and that probably will not succeed.
    The profit, for those on the minting and production end, is not cheap generic rounds for hard core stackers.
    Creativity and artistry lead to profit. Money is needed to attract that talent, and that means premiums on the rounds.
    I see an emerging market, not a worn out fad.

The idea of 'limited minting' is not so clear. The Zombucks Walker bullion, 40k+, not many considering demand. The proof version, 10k, and that is a whole lot, considering demand at the issue price 3 times the bullion.

If you came across a whole room full of New Old Stock vintage porcelain dolls, would it matter to you if there were 10,000 of only one design, or 100 designs, and 100 of each design?
    You do not get to pick the design, you just happen on this room through a friend.

12. Pirocco

A skeleton / zombie on a coin appears to me rather as ugly than as a political/philosophical/ideological symbol. Remilking is a dead end and skeletons zombies also have much to do with death.

Collectability, likeness, and the consequential willingness to pay more, is based on a number of elements. If someone puts his shit in the shape of a flower, and 'bakes' a limited production of 5, well, I still step around it with a big leap haha. What I want to say with this: that those elements have a priority order, and it's not mintage that leads, but symbolic value / well design. Take for example the 'Lunar' series, based on the Zodiac calendar. Why do they have symbolic value: because the Zodiac is associated to specific years, and years in turn are associated to peoples birth/whatever. For ex: if one is born in 1990 he might add an extra value to a junk silver coin of exactly 100 years earlier, 1880. It's this kinda reasons that 'make' collectibility.

And second, why where these specific animals chosen? Because they represent some property that people like. An aggressive / strong tiger. A friendly rabbit. A dragon, appearing in numerous fantasy stories.
    Those skeletons, zombies, I have a hard time to tie them to anything. They're just...dead. Buffy the vampire slayer wasn't popular for its skeletons and zombies, it was popular because it had a big (even huge) number of attractable elements blended in a whole. There was something for anyone including the typical goodlooking versus ugly, good versus bad, and that made people interested.
    If I see a skeleton or a zombie on a coin, well, my interest is equally dead. If I have to judge them as a collectable, I see this: they're bought by those quickresellers hunting a quickbuck. At some point they will find that there is no end-user (being the real collector, that puts them into a whole he 'fondles' and holds for the figurative lifetime). Hurry hurry buy... hurry hurry sell to other resellers.... with the last one failing to pass through the in the chain ahead increased extra cost, or another word for it: loss.

About the whole room full of New Old Stock vintage porcelain dolls, I would not matter, that's what I said. "What's the difference between 1 limited issue of 10000 and 100 limited issues of 100?". The answer on that was: none. The combination mintages and amount designs is irrelevant. 10000 skeletons or 100 x 100 skeletons or 10000 porcelain dolls or 100 x 100 porcelain dolls, is irrelevant. The relevant question is this: how many people will like a porcelain doll versus how many people will like a skeleton in their house. Admitted: I don't see many skeletons for sale. But I also don't see many skeletons demanded. Abit like a dead market. If I then look at the porcelain dolls, well, it's different.
    Nevertheless, good luck with your skeleton and zombie bucks. Maybe I ever buy one, to scare away kids that may pester me on my old days. :D

13. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

You don't like the 'supply and demand' theory?
    Collectors want one - one of each.
    If I have 10000 of a 'good one', I need 10000 buyers.

If I have 100 of 100, I need 100 buyers, if they have enough money of course. I certainly do not need 10000 buyers.

For value, there are of course factors besides availability and quantity, but, supply is a factor, quantity issued is a factor.
    For popularity, availability and quantity is not a factor. Actually, scarcity may be a negative. Some classes of collectables are so unusual, there are very few collectors.
    It is general agreed that the ASE has a great design (not everyone will agree, but most), but since everything is the same each year, except the date, all years have less value.
    Even so, there are key date years. This is not based on the actual date, nothing special that "year", except few were minted - value up.
    1996 ASE is a key date, double the value, not because there is something special about the year 1996, but because of the quantity issued.

Someone can develop a wonderful design, that creates emotions associated with motherhood, first love, coming of age, patriotism, prosperity, more.
    If they mint and release 100,000,000, they will be extremely popular, and cheap.
    Cut that number to 100,000, and price just went up.

We agree that something being scarce does not make it valuable.
    However I say when something is desirable, quantity will affect perceived value.

Scary movies and ghost stories are not popular because they are pretty and make you feel good.
    'Back from the dead' beings will be popular in the hearts of mankind as long as mankind exists.
    Angels and zombies have more in common than is first apparent.
    People buy angel things to bring such things closer to their heart.
    Some would say that buying zombies things allows people to control what controls their fears. That has value.

Zombie comic books very popular, collectable.
    "A copy of The Walking Dead No. 1 sold on eBay on Wednesday for $10,100, an unusually large sum for a comic book published in the 21st century. "
    Zombie TV show vey popular.
    "The Walking Dead averaged 15.7 million viewers, a finale best. That's just 400,000 viewers shy of the previous all-time record, fall's 16.1 million-strong premiere. And looking at the comparable finale a year ago, The Walking Dead jumped a whopping 3.2 million.
    TV's top-rated show among the all-important adults 18-49, The Walking Dead also failed to disappoint in the demo. The episode averaged 10.2 million adults under 50, up nearly 2 million from a year ago and within a hair of fall's all-time high."

The Walker zombie 'coin' doubles in price.
    I suppose you see all of this the way I see Kim K.

14. Pirocco

Don't know about Kim K, saw her mentioned enough times but for the rest don't know a thing about her.
    What I do know is that for every selected figure, a dozen unselected figures are ignored.
    Compare the figures with those related to liberty/freedom, beauty, happiness, independence, etcetera.
    I think it will be like a wooden stick in your zombie story.

15. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

16. Pirocco

Do you get excited by red hair?
    It's not from Mulligan Mint so maybe it's a fake - iron Rustie Girl.

Btw can I use your avatar to fill the gaps in mine?

17. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

I only marry Redheads.
    Take what you need & leave the rest... -bw