CSIRO does it again.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by JulieW, Jun 5, 2014.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Communist bastards.

That's our tax dollars at work right there, creating useless crap like unlimited, free, non-polluting sources of energy.

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Must be EOFY budget time again. Need a huge but non-committal press release to impress the accountants. Steam and mirrors.

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

O-mi-gosh, scientists with a bucket of money and time found something out!!! What a frickin yippee-ki-yay surprise. Who woulda thunk such a thing was possible? :O

Anyone notice the absence of any mention of costs and the insertion of "help to lower the cost of solar electricity" and "could" and "potential" etc? It's not happening next week folks but it could happen. If only the government would cut our subsidies. Please, please, please write to your minister and say how frickin awesome we are because we told you that a discovery may, potentially, perhaps, with more buckets of cash, over an indeterminate timeframe, save the planet.

Won't somebody think of the children?

5. hennypenny

hennypenny New Member

oh FFS, a potentially important discovery by local scientists and you guys flee into your anti-reality bubbles because you're trapped in a stupid ideological prison. And the announcement won't help the CSIRO, the senior people who approved it will probably be quietly sacked in the next year or two. Abbott is corrupt and in the pocket of big miners and power companies but recognising the friggin' obvious isn't the strong point of some posters here (and btw how's the silver investment going? I made a nice profit).

6. Shaddam IV

Conspiracy theories, insults and hatred all in one post. And you accuse others of being in a stupid idealogical prison?

7. hennypenny

hennypenny New Member

hey R-n-t, I'm okay with "conspiracy theories" and "insults" but "hatred" is wrong because I truly don't hate you guys.

..... i just think you're morons :)

8. Shaddam IV

Sorry, Henny, I am seeing so much hatred of Abbott on the forum that once you threw him in there I assumed that it was more tedious hate mongering. As the saying goes: "Holding hatred for someone else is like drinking poison and hoping that the other person will die".

I am not dissing the research of the CSIRO, I was pointing out the obvious - Finding has to be found around this time and this is one of the time honoured methods of trying to secure it. There is nothing new about generating steam with sunlight and with mirrors, it happens all over the world, has been for decades. it's an obvious puff piece, I am pointing out this article for what it is.

9. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

CSIRO also invented wifi ... who are these gods?

10. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You mean CSIRO workers are truly a better breed of people? Should I bow or just spread silver across their palms when they deign to acknowledge my existence?

In what way? Is not handing out subsidies and not distorting the market in favour of non-miners and non-renewable power companies corruption now? That's news to me as it used to be when politicians granted favours and granted funding not when they took it away.

Are you claiming that CSIRO isn't in the pocket of big coal? If so you'd better tell Clive Hamilton:

11. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd happily give my tax dollars to CSIRO.
    Nothing is as it seems. CSIRO have put out a few releases lately which coincidently comes after the budget announcement of the severe cut to their budget which was incredibly wrong imo.

12. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OH Noes a whole $26 Million a year, how will they ever manage on the more than $1.2 billion a year still left now ?

Here's an Idea ! how about Abengoa chuck in a little more funding to keep the steam pumping, they turned over more than $7 billion in 2012 and yet ARENA (Australian Renewables Energy Agency is funding them to the tune of $450,000 for a "feasibility study" apparently using Australian technology? http://www.marinelink.com/news/australia-abengoa-western370205.aspx

Why are we as taxpayers funding a multi billion dollar Spanish company ?

Edited to add, Sorry got my figures on that completely wrong, it should read in addition to the above Why are we funding a multi billion dollar Spanish company to the tune of $5.6 Million dollar$ ?

http://www.energybusinessnews.com.a...rcritical-steam-breakthrough-for-solar-power/

13. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I just learned that thermal solar is 2-4% more water intensive than conventional power sources.

Has that been factored in to whether it is suitable to use in dry countries like Australia and Spain and California? Probably not. California is in severe drought yet building these plants. Australia is still doing water buy backs in agricultural area "for the environment" and is the driest continent bar Antarctica but should commence building such water intensive power stations?

14. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This could mean the end of the coal industry. WTF are they thinking?

On a positive note, those mirrors must use a lot of silver.

15. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OT but
    Does anyone ever wonder about that ? Driest continent on earth but it holds the greatest reservoir of fresh water on earth at the same time? 60% or more I think of all fresh water on earth is sitting in a giant icecube down there.