just bought my first 10oz bar

Discussion in 'Silver' started by stu633, May 30, 2014.

1. stu633

stu633 New Member

Hi guys.

I have recently started stacking silver and bought my first 10oz bar from perth mint.
    I plan to do a 50/50 split of cast bars and coins.
    what coins would you recommend, im pretty new to this and am sure i heard someone say that the perth mint coins are nice for collectors but poor value for bullion purposes.
    would i be better off buying silver eagles or maple leaves?

thanks in advance for any help

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What country are you in?

3. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

Hey Stu633, congrats on the first 10ozer.
    Can I ask why you recently got into stacking?

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Where you are does count. If in the US, ASEs have the best liquidity, so they're a good idea. If you're in Canada, Maples (despite their wretched milk spots) have great liquidity, so they're a good idea. Wherever you are, Perth Mint 1oz Lunars have good liquidity and a track record of appreciating pretty well. To a large degree, it's a personal preference thing but what you buy should be governed by your stacking objectives. If you don't have objectives and a game plan, you're dancing in the dark.

BTW---put that first 10ozer in a ziploc bag with a note documenting it being your first 10oz bar, the purchase date and price. If you stick with stacking, you'll be glad you did later on because it'll end up being a sentimental momento.

5. stu633

stu633 New Member

sorry i should have mentioned. I am in Perth so I have the added ability to walk into perth mint and buy what i want.
    There are a few reasons i got into stacking. It all probably started when i went into the perth mint refinery for my job (not the one where you do tours buy the main one where all the mining companies etc send their gold to be cast) after working there and seeing so much gold and silver that got my brain thinking.
    another reason is I am pretty average with money, so buy buying bullion that i have to physically take to a seller means im more likely to keep it than a quick transfer and empty out my savings again.
    I looked at gold but with the price of gold that could go up or down in value (and its on the way down at the moment). I think silver is probably towards the bottom end of a trough now so im hoping will increase in value. but im no expert.
    also you get more physical product with silver which is nice.

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Welcome stu633,

Yes I suggest you keep yours first bar separate as a momento.
    Something to remind kinda of thing.

Chip in Perth too.
    Chip

7. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

A good place to start might be the 10 oz lunar coins.Lower mintages,10 ozs of ag,nice designs etc.However anything older than the dragon coin,will begin to get pricey.I also like the kook and koala 10 ozers.At present,I keep them in coffee cans...cleaned and aired out of course.

8. stu633

stu633 New Member

How many lunar coins have I missed. It would be nice to build the full set.

9. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

A complete first twelve year set and five or six years in to the second set. Buying the complete for set even if just in one once silver would cost a lot.

10. stu633

stu633 New Member

Also what is the benefit of a coin being "legal tender" compared to a cast bar that is just a lump of metal?

Also if you have silver in ither forms such as cutlery how do you know how much silver is in it and how do get value out of it.

Sorry for all the probably pretty obvious questions

11. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

Most of the time silver in cutlery is 925/sterling silver. This is the total weight of the cutlery divided be 100 and multiplied by 925. Divided the outcome by 31.135 (one troy ounce). This will give you your weight in ounces. Multiple you troy ounces by the current spot price of silver.

Legal tender basically just saying your buying silver with a premium. The design and mintage determines the premium. Cast bars are just more cost effective ways of stacking.

12. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Buying silver with a premium in all probability means you will be selling silver with a comparable premium - more desirable than others.
    In some cases $30 premium bought becomes $60 premium sold - but not always, could be $20 premium, but you still have the increase of spot to consider.

Buying cheap silver in all probability means you will be selling cheap silver. Fairly safe, low risk, low gain (Spot + $0, or a little less).

Different strokes......

13. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

Congrats. I've purchased my first 10oz 2013 Koala at the weekend. I'm looking forwards to taking delivery. I shall post up once it arrives.

14. stu633

stu633 New Member

yeah im probably going to avoid cheap silver and stick with bullion, i just wasnt sure how it worked.
    unsure next as to save up for a kg bar or get some coins.
    what is considered a low mintage of coins, i see the great white is only runniing 300,000 is that fairly low?