How crocs will affect sales of 2015 kooks, koalas and lunars

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Myles & Myles, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Myles & Myles

Myles & Myles New Member

Now that Perth Mint has released a much cheaper option for stackers of Aussie silver coins, I'm just wondering what you guys think will be the effect that this will have on sales of 2015 kooks, koalas and lunars. I'm a newbie to precious metals but my assumption would be that kooks, koalas and lunars sales will be down as more people go for the crocs instead. However, I'm sure there will still be many people who prefer the kooks, koalas and lunars for various reasons - for example, the fact that they are individually encapsulated as opposed to the crocs, as well as the issue of potential increase in numismatic value for lunars, for example. Also, some may even say that the introduction of crocs could actually increase sales of the older three series as it will draw more attention to Australian silver coins from overseas buyers, as well as those who are completely new to silver. However, I think this is unlikely. My assumption is that since more people will now opt for crocs, the sales of 2015 kooks, koalas and lunars will be down, but I could be wrong.

What do you guys think the effect will be?

2. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

animals of different sizes

3. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd say the only series that could feel the effects is the Koala, but given that can be minted to meet demand year round I don't think it'll be hurt too much.

Lunars and kooks are in a different league, they'll sell out regardless.

4. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

^^^^
    Agreed.

Lunars and Kooks will sell out. They have a huge following. Koala designs have been terrible. Whoever has done the lunar series 2 is legendary. They should be put in charge of all perth mint designs as the lead designer in charge and given a much higher position with exclusive sign off on any coin design from Perth Mint. Talent should be rewarded.

Crocodiles will add more interest to Perth Mint products as it will capture even more of the market and imagination. 1 million may seem like a lot but seriously it isn't at all. It's limited.

I think holders of all perth mint products except the coloured crap will be seriously rewarded. The crocodile is an awesome looking coin.

5. Myles & Myles

Myles & Myles New Member

On second thoughts, I think the lunar series won't be negatively affected by the crocs because I know they are very popular and will sell out, so in hindsight I probably should've asked the question in my original post more in relation to the kooks and koalas. You may well be right about the kooks too, but I agree at least in regard to the lunars.

6. Aureus

1oz kooks have a long history and a huge international following, they will always sell out - guaranteed. The year the PM cannot sell 500k kooks is the year you should give up on metals.
    The love may not be as strong as it was a few years back but that's mainly due to Silver performing poorly, and the fact the PM decided to re-mint older issues.

People will forget that the second Silver starts to do something exciting though. I actually don't hold any metal at the moment but when i sense a buying opportunity kooks are very high on the list for me.

7. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

I will buy way less kooks, lunars and koalas because of the new coins. So out of the randon pool of people who have answered so far. Its safe to say, with 100% certainty. 1 in every 3 stackers world wide will now buy less numis perth mint coins... thats my math. And its rock solid! Dont argue!

8. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What a croc ah hahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe clever ????

Bring more people into buying silver with a well priced coin.

Bing !!!! Hooked !!!!

Now buy dearer coins.

Whatever. Who cares. I still love me 2012 koala :p

10. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yes lunars and kooks will sell out but how long they gonna sit on various dealers' selves until they're really sold out? i think(and i believe im not alone) s1 lunars are way better than s2. take a good look again at the snake ,ox, dragon(mirror of the s1????) and even the tiger from s2...

11. Aureus

S1 have age on their side.
    S2 have been released through some pretty volatile times, so their values have gone all over the place.

Stackers are just feeling down due to the lack of positive movement in the price of metals, therefore they're less inclined to pay premium over spot. Don't forget that people were buying S2 dragons for $100 a coin at the peak of the silver frenzy.

When we get another run up in the silver price kooks and lunars will get noticed again, and their premiums will return.

12. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I haven't bothered to look at the croc design as yet. With the discussions about them maybe should go have a look.

13. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Saltwater croc
    Freshwater croc
    Croc in egg
    Croc on nest
    Croc slide in mud
    Croc shoes
    Croc handbag
    Croc on toast
    Croc waz 'ere
    Where's Croc!

14. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yes ur correct.only here in aus there is no interest for kooks and lunars....

15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the koalas are just sleeping...now they come in colours :|

crocs is finished, truly sold!

16. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The crocs put the kooks and lunars into perspective. The quality and finish of the kooks and lunars is way better than the croc so they will still be worth extra premiums going forward.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nope!

Folk love Perth's encapsulated coins (Bullion encased in acrylic) the tubed bullion is too expensive and dealers are already scalping us. :(

Sure...the first of a series is collectable but the way the coins are tubed atm and the poor way they travel during shipping means that Perth are going to have to change the way the coins are packaged (New caps for the tubes) and dealers are going to have to improve the way they ship so that tubes of coins have the anti-tamper sticker intact.

With the second release, the coins are truly just bullion and.... imo you are better off buying a low mintage Lunar's or buy bars.

If dealers want these coins to be a continuation they better knock down their premium on the coin because some dealers have ridiculous premiums... greedy MtF :|

Folk will not buy the next coin if they are the same price or close to encapsulated 1oz products.

Non encapsulated Ag bullion coins are nothing more than rounds.

Buy 2015 Lunars this year that have a low mintage of 300,000 coins.

H

18. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Crocs are more likely to get buyers of low premium bars and rounds.

Lunars and kooks will be fine. Still plenty of fans and series collectors of them.

19. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

This sounds more like a regional thing. Here in the US, we can get them roughly the same cost or a hair higher than generic rounds. The kooks and lunars here has a much higher premium than the croc.

20. Aureus

Yup.
    There are a multitude of reasons why dealers need to sell at a higher price in Australia than in the US.
    It isn't about greed, if aussie dealers sold at the prices US dealers did then they would quickly cease to exist.