Silver Institute in a past also Gold Institute?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Pirocco, May 29, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+directory+of+nonferrous+metals+trade+associations.-a0106422922
    In a book from 1996, Silver Institute was mentioned, with address 1112 16th street NW, Suite 240, Washington DC 20036. Abit further, in a text part about gold, they referenced a Gold Institute, on the same address.

I looked up the address and found an article of 2001 (so 5 years after the book):
    http://www.recyclingtoday.com/Article.aspx?article_id=176w18
    The Silver Institute

Suite 240, 1112 16th St., N.W.

Washington, DC 20036

Ph: (202) 835-0185

Fax: (202) 835-0155

Paul Bateman, executive director

The current address is different:
    https://www.silverinstitute.org/site/contact-us/
    The Silver Institute
    1400 I Street, NW
    Suite #550
    Washington, DC 20005
    Tel: 202-835-0185

But the phone number is the same.
    So they probably moved since.
    But what is important is that it's surely the same company as the 1996 book referenced.
    So, in some past, the Silver Institute also was Gold Institute.
    Yet, there is no website to find. So apparently, they stopped doing if for gold.
    In 1996, internet was far from the common it is now, so the chance is less, but does anyone remember if there was then a goldinstitute.org, if so, did it publish figures, demand/supply etc? And, what happened to it so that it stopped? For ex, they released around then a Silver Survey as a book (now it's a pdf on the web), maybe they did the same for gold then too.

2. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

The internet (read world wide web) as we know it today only came into existence in 1995.

3. Pirocco

Yes, but the website has existed.
    http://info.goldavenue.com/info_site/in_who/in_who_ginst.html

The Gold Institute is a Washington DC-based international industry association representing mining companies, refiners, banks, dealers and suppliers. Its role is to promote the common business interests of the gold industry, and to educate the public on the benefits and values of gold and the economic importance the industry plays in the economy. It represents its members in matters before legislative and regulatory bodies and serves as a spokesperson for the industry to the media and public. Additionally the Institute is a clearing house for industry information, economic and market research, and statistical data. The Institute's publications include forecasts on mine production, a newsletter covering current trends and other statistical data.

Gold Institute
    Suite 240
    1112 Sixteenth Street NW
    Washington DC 20036
    US

Tel. +1 202 835 0185
    Fax +1 202 835 0155
    e-mail [email protected]
    Web www.goldinstitute.org

It's now parked free.

And there are references in books too.
    This is an article of 1996:
    http://www.northernminer.com/news/g...related-to-gold-production/1000096651/?&er=NA
    TABLE OF CONTENTS Jun 10 - 16, 1996 Volume 82 Number 15 - 0 comments
    Gold Institute sets new standard for the reporting of costs related to gold production
    TEXT SIZE bigger text smaller text
    1996-06-10 The gold mining industry has adopted a uniform format for reporting production costs on a per-ounce basis.

The voluntary standard, which was developed by the Gold Institute and a committee of North American gold producers, will allow the financial community and individual investors to make comparisons of gold mining companies and their separate operations.

The committee is discussing standards for gold resource reporting, which would include definitions and guidelines for reporting reserves, mineralized material and other exploration information.

4. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

The qualifier
    "as we know it" is critical.
    1995 is the "official" start of www.
    The internet existed first, as did various sites, then came www and rapid expansion of the internet.

The World Wide Web, or simply Web, is a way of accessing information over the medium of the Internet. It is an information-sharing model that is built on top of the Internet.
    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/Web_vs_Internet.asp

In the mid 90's it was made clear to me by those who knew much more than I did that WWW and internet were not the same.
    Of course, history has a way of changing how things are viewed.

5. Pirocco

Yes, the fewer people didn't have internet then, but indirectly they had, along what was named "Bulletin Board System". You connected to them along a telephone modem, had 33k and later 57k 'baud'. In my EU country, there were a couple dozens of these. In one way, you could see these BBS's, as the first internet providers. Those that ran them did it more like a kinda hobby. You were limited to the content that they downloaded from the internet. It was like a directory tree. With the arrival of the www they disappeared very fast.
    They existed for a couple decades, in the end, mid nineties, they reached their peak users, massive increase in just a few years.

About Gold Institute, despite I never read a reference to it so far, it does look like it was a major entity on the precious metals market, a quote from a book:
    "... Fund staff from the Treasurer's office and gold experts from the U.S. Treasury, two U.S. mining companies, the World Gold Council, and the Gold Institute."
    I wonder about the reason why it was stopped. Maybe redundancy with the World Gold Council, abit like two organisations doing the same.

6. Pirocco

"Gold Institute" seems to be a very good search keyword, since it doesnt exist anymore, it filters out millions newer results. Just discovered this from 7/5/98: "COMEX silver stocks had declined "from over 200 million ounces less than a year ago to under 90 million ounces presently"
    http://www.gold-eagle.com/article/case-silver
    Mid december 2011 it was 112 Moz then rose (sometimes fast, sometimes slow) to a peak of 183 Moz in march 2014. Now it's 176 Moz. I thought this was a fast change, but in 1998 a 110 Moz change in less than a year. Still lack too much data to make any long term conclusion on it.

7. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Yes, I remember the BBS.
    I was taking a college class in the 80's, and the Prof wanted to use this new thing called 'email' for assignments - using university computers.
    There was a huge communication problem, and two way communication seemed impossible.
    He finally ditched the idea.
    At the end of the class he told us he had figured out the problem. It seems it mattered whether you used upper or lower case letters in the address. Who knew.
    I also remember my college roommate using FORTRAN, carrying a box of IBM cards around, and I remember when computer dating was done with UNIVAC, a computer the size of a basketball court .
    I currently use a satellite system for internet, or I'd still be on dialup.

When you start talking COMEX I only grasp 10%, but if I stick with it I may get up to 50%.
    You keep writing, I'll keep reading. I'm not to the point where I can ask an intelligent question.
    I wish I had more time, maybe in the near future.

How about this one.
    I remember when my friend's 'hard drive' storage was on a cassette tape - the Tandy computer.

8. Pirocco

To put that computer nostalgia on a silver timeline: look back, compare what it was then, with what it is now. That is economical progress. Computers had one of the biggest impacts ever seen. It's the reason that the producing population part could sustain the ever increasing government theft. Automation. So those that wanna judge what the silver (and other) prices will do in the next decades, should determine whether such scale improvement
    is further possible from the 2008 crisis onwards.
    There are some things out there: 3D printing, shale gas, nanotechnology, maybe biotechnology etc. The question however is what the magnitude is of their impact. Computers and consequential automation had a huge magnitude, about every part of the economy could benefit from it. Some improvements have only effects on a small field. Some were touted all over the place as the next wonder and superevolution. They died in silence. Remember cold nuclear fusion? Superconduction? Or earlier, space travel. It's called the 'Space Age' now, but back then alot believed the projected future. Wrong.
    And that's why one should never look at silvers price trend alike it's all that matters. It's a result of many other things out there, and by looking at those other things, and recognize these as such, better decisions can be taken.

I was always interested in reading stuff, but in more recent years, let's say 2004+, it accelerated in a big fashion. History (except for some wellknown/popular things/events like the worldwars) never interested me, but since a couple years I buy every older book (secondhand, to not spend big bucks) that provides a past view on what happened then. It helps to understand things. Alot literature revamped in the present is overhauled in a 'political correct way'. It doesn't reflect the original anymore, and on purpose. The more you know, the more chance you recognize causes and consequences / relations.
    And, you also recognize the scammers out there, and the ways they use to mislead.