Don't forget to update snipe with your new e-bay password

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Torcan, May 27, 2014.

1. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

I had 2 auctions I was bidding on for
    2 x different .999 Gold $25 Commemorative Coin 2000 Liberia Proof
    these carry .73 grams of 24kt Gold
    they had been badly labeled, by not mentioning the fact that they were .999 Gold

all that was listed was LIBERIA 2000 GOLD 25 DOLLARS - JOHN F. KENNEDY - PERFECT PROOF DCAM
    and LIBERIA 2000 GOLD $25 - NAPOLEON BONAPARTE - PERFECT PROOF DCAM
    no description in the auction, so I believe many people just passed them by not realizing they were 24kt @ .73 grams each

I had put a $45.99USD bid with a Snipe each on both
    watching it count down, they both sell for under $35 each + $5.00 shipping WTF !!!!
    that is just under spot price a tad

Asking myself...why oh why did the snipe not work
    DUH.....
    then I realized that we had to change our passwords on E-Bay, but I hadn't changed it on the Snipe site
    so it didn't bid for me, password was refused

So WARNING, for all those out there that use Snipe, make sure you update with your new E-Bay password
    or you may kick yourself where the sun doesn't shine

2. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

be careful the $10 are 500/1000. I sold a few of these on here both $10 and $25. its a bit too small to stack lol

3. Genesis.1

Genesis.1 Member

Sorry, but what is this Snipe?? I've never heard of it....

4. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

Online auction sniper places bid on eBay seconds before the auction close.

5. Genesis.1

Genesis.1 Member

Oh. I always just waited for it to count down then placed a bid a few seconds before it ended..... So there is a site that does this for you? What will they come up with next!!! :)

6. Kordarg

Kordarg New Member

I've been using JBidWatcher (http://www.jbidwatcher.com/) for many years. It runs locally, so you don't have to trust a third-party with your eBay password. Downside, of course, is that you have to be online for it to work.

It's pretty simple to use, but having started off in the developer community and created with Java, the user interface is a tad quirky... you'll need to spend a little time getting used to it, but it's worth the effort. Apple users proceed no further :p

Sniper programs are great for preventing you getting into a bidding war. For that exact reason, eBay doesn't like snipers, though it's not against their T&C. Not sure if they still do, but in the past they've made changes seemingly made to foil sniper software. Before setting up a snipe on an important auction, I always test JBidWatcher is good to go, by using it to place a very low bid on a newly started auction.

7. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Yeah there are a whole handfull of programs out there. The one I was using I would just put the ebay auction number, and my max bid I am willing to make. It wouldn't drop the bid till the last 6 seconds and was really usefull if there were items ending when I was going to be sleeping.

Another thing to try with them is to lowball on 10 or more auctions at a time and sometimes you will get lucky and win something for well under what it is worth.

8. Kordarg

Kordarg New Member

You just reminded me of another great feature in JBidWatcher (and probably others). You can "link" auctions, so that if you win one of them, it won't bid on the "linked" auctions. That won't work if the linked auctions finish at the same time, though... like you often get when a seller lists multiple items.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I used to have Auction Sentry Deluxe which was great while you could buy a license for the whole year but then it got sold off and they wanted a ridiculous amount each month. I switched to Auction Sniper, you only pay a small amount if you win.

Pretty good because a lot of the stuff I buy is from abroad so I don't have to stay up getting involved in bidding wars, thanks for the tipo, I have a few running so I better double check.

Auction Sniper