Any 8 reales experts?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by baja, May 24, 2014.

1. baja

baja New Member

So I have been trying to get my hands on a pillar dollar for quite some time, but between them being expensive and so many fakes it has been dificult.

So i saw this item today on the bay today 131196215561.
    Am wondering:
    - does it look fake?
    -how much does it being turned to a brooch affect the value?

Thanks

2. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

The brooch reduces any potential numismatic value significantly. As for a fake, a very quick look, nothing stands out (but I am by no means an expert in pillar dollars). Why not save a bit longer and buy one from an auction house, better quality and not a likely fake.

3. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks legit to me. As for the brooch approach. Well :rolleyes: The Numi has lost all its value.
    I have a few of these for metal swaps, PM me if your interested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^That's a Spanish/pillar dollar, OP linked to a columario ;)

Doenst look legit if you compare it to this one that went for $13k at a real(e) auction house

[​IMG]

Total difference in just the 1755 alone;
    [​IMG]

Caveat emptor.

5. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

^^^ dont forget there were lots of different mints and die sets spread out around the world for spanish silver

6. baja

baja New Member

Thanks for all the reply's, i am glad it looks legit but will probably take the advice given and save up some more $ to buy a better specimen.

House... agree on the date being totally diff. But the brooch has a mint mark of MO (or OM) meaning Mexico mint, the one you posted has a mint mark of LM, so maybe different mints used different fonts on the dies.

Thanks again guy's, this is a great forum !

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Evidently I did! Just saw 8 Reales and eBay in the same sentence... Immediate assumption of it being a fake. Quick look at others with same mintmark and it seems legit, no obvious flaws.

How much you looking to pay? The odd one crops up on here every now and again. Definitely would get one without the brooch.

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd give this one a miss.... it has been ruined by the brooch.
    In my experience, the yanks love 8 reales (close to home), so buy them in Europe for a better price. Vice versa, buy European coins in US for a generally better price. This is only a very general observation, but I have found it is usually the case.

MA-shops seem to have a bargain or two pop up every now and then.

Here, try this: http://www.ma-shops.com/shops/searc...ID=17d38c5416c9a3083785eac402edd15d&days_new=

9. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ex broach specimens IMO are an excellent opportunity to get a coin with excellent details for a fraction of the regular price as it has been purged of any potential numismatic collectability,

If you don't mind the poorly fashioned mount remanats then go for it as its showing much more detail than you are likely to otherwise afford in that price ballpark, but if you can't get past it be prepared to fork out significantly more..

As always up to you ... Ex jewellery peices tend to be additional confirmation of authenticity as it demonstrates age and ex owners mindset that the piece is worthy of wearing so not junk

I love reales myself but know how hard high grade ones are to track down at close to bullion price.. Ex jewellery flaws make it possible

Reale coinage from Lima mint in peru are considerably more scarce, these are commonly faked due to their high bv so be cautious if you come across these