coloured coins can anyone put me straight

Discussion in 'Silver' started by craig12, May 6, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

@ Ouija - I've seen these only in pictures. They look neat. I think when some stackers talk of not liking colored coins, I think they are referring to coins that are processed with color at the Mint before release to the market...not after market applications....which are complete novelty. The examples I'd given of coins which have coloration are all coins where the color was applied at the Mint producing the coin. I don't see that as novelty....it's a special finish.

jLizard is right to point out that the Red Enamel Maple Leaf is a different process than pad printing. The Red Enamel Maple Leaf is a really striking coin...I bought one...much better looking in real life than in photos. I own some pad printed coins that look really excellent and the color adds to the appeal of the coin while on the other hand there are some coins that have pad printed color that look really awful. So, unlike some stackers who throw the baby out with the bath water and condemn ALL color coins, I don't. I know there's a difference in the qualities. To say that the New Zealand Mint's colored Lunar coins are the same quality as this awful colored coin for example - http://www.apmex.com/Product/81156?...2&zmap=81156&gclid=COvtxu-wnL4CFenm7AodZXAAAA - is to not have a very good sense of aesthetics I think. :)

Here's some of New Zealand Mint's coins with color applications: http://www.silverlunar.com/2012/01/nz-mint-1oz-silver-proof-lunar-dragon.html

I own a couple of these and I can tell you they look much better in the hand than in a picture.

2. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

men what a negativos here about colored silver coins, i like the colored coins very much and collect them and sell them, i never lost on them. There are very nice examples, for example the support our troops series from the maple leafs or the pink ribbon maples leafs, i can't get them anywhere anymore, als the colored kookaburra coins very nice, or when you see the colored kangaroo serie very nice and very expensive.

3. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2012 1oz kookaburra map silver coin worth circa $200+ on the market. So if you buy it at the issue price, it is a very good return.

4. Ouija

Ouija New Member

@ haakma -

It's not that the folks here necessarily have negative feelings regarding colored silver coins. In fact many of them are quite beautiful, and I would guess, that many members of this forum actually have some colored coins that are personal favorites.

In fact - it was the gift of a colorized ASE that first piqued my curiosity in silver, eventually leading to my interest in accumulating many more Eagles (though not the colored versions).

There is nothing wrong with colorized coins. The huge variety can serve as motivation to collect silver.
    Personally, I would eagerly welcome even more discussion of this fascinating topic, to keep us all interested in the subject of silver in general, during these times, when the bullion market itself is not as exciting as many of us would like to see it.

Although the title of this forum "SilverStackers" might imply that its members are only concerned with "stacking silver" (as in bullion), I suspect that most of the members here would welcome an interesting diversion into the other aspects of our peculiar obsession with this most fascinating element, called SILVER !!

Colored Coins ?... Bring'em on !!!

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And to add..."How Does The Perth Mint Colour Coins?"

The Mint uses a specially adapted pad-printing technique. It begins with the preparation of four printing plates, known as clichs, each one etched with different elements of the coin design as a series of tiny depressions.
    Cyan, magenta, yellow and black ink, the base colours from which all others are produced, are mixed and applied to the etched surfaces of the clichs.

Special inks are required for optimal quality. As only very small quantities of ink are transferred during the pad-printing process, the pigmentation must be highly concentrated. The Perth Mint mixes its ink with hardener, which cures to leave an exceptionally durable finish, resistant to fading, as well as solvent and chemical attack.

More info: http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2011/06/24/how-does-the-perth-mint-colour-coins/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUyFUumqLPc[/youtube]

6. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Gotta love the coloured coins they do for royal events.

7. Newstacker

Newstacker New Member

Why do you think coloured rounds would become less valuable than an engraved one? after all its only coloured ink and the weight remains exactly as it should - I know I'm only new to stacking but I really cant see them loosing any value - at least I hope not !!!!

8. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Personally, I think all colored coins look like crap. I'd rather see the natural surfaces of the metal in contrasting finishes (frosted/shiny) than to have it covered up with opaque color. The only "colored" coin I'll have are gilded ones, but that's only because you can still see the shiny metal through the gilded gold.

9. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

"Value" is based on market preferences.

Colorized coins (and non-colorized) is personal preference.

If they weren't selling, they wouldn't be making them.

10. Ouija

Ouija New Member

The actual bullion value remains the same, and the coins will not lose thier value (relative to other bullion coins). The main difference is that such coins typically carry a higher premium, which you might not be able to recover when you sell, unless you are able to find a collector who also places a high premium on the coin.

The important thing, is that you are getting into stacking - so if the colored coins are able to keep you interested and motivated, there is nothing wrong with that. :)

11. mmissinglink

Sounds like you are a proof coin collector rather than a bar stacker. Nothing wrong with that and certainly you are entitled to your own aesthetics, just that if we distinguish ourselves from the purist stackers by denouncing colored coins, we have to realize that the proof coin enthusiast is also of the same ilk as the colored coin enthusiast.

As for me, I have no problem with diversification. Blobs, bullion rounds and coins, proof coins, colored coins, special finish and embedded gems coins, high relief medals, etc....it's all good.

Collect on, stack on!

12. Newstacker

Newstacker New Member

Thanks Ouija
    I am new to stacking and I do like some of the coloured ones but my main interest (at the moment) is hand poured bars - no two are exactly the same to look at which to me gives them each a "uniqueness"

13. craig12

craig12 New Member

what do you make to this, noticed the coloured superman coins had gone down 30 at a uk dealer to 95, chatted to em and asked why the big price drop,, they said they had found a cheaper supplier
    I immediately thought what about the people that paid 125

14. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Let me see if I understand you.

You believe that anything that is sold today, will NEVER be cheaper in the future?
    No burgers cheaper next week than this week.
    No fish and chips special next week, that makes them cheaper than this week.
    No holding out to buy last year model vehicle at reduced prices compared to over the summer.

You also believe every vendor tells the truth about price drops.
    None of them making money at a high markup, deciding to take less profit per sale, but more sales, by dropping the price.

Not good.
    You have lead a sheltered life.

15. craig12

craig12 New Member

theres always one

16. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

I see his point Craig, albeit worded differently in my eyes.

Prices of stuff sometimes goes up, sometimes goes down.

Don't be sorry for those that paid the higher price, unless it's you. If it's not, happy days.

I feel sorry for those who bought silver at 29/oz, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

17. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

coloured coins are too expensive at approximately 4x spot when released. The limited mintages does little for them often not selling out, secondary market is ordinary and ebay having about the best prices. They are a lottery to which ones will gain not lost value, good luck with that.
    There is silver at a couple of dollars above spot available with mintages in the 1000 to 2000, much more attractive investment.

18. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

for those who don't have deep pockets
    the following is true not only for colored coins

before you buy the coin in pursuit of its rise in value decide if you personally like the coin or not
    if yes, then go ahead and buy it - more chances that there are other people who like it too
    if coin drops in value you end up with something that you like
    if coin rises - you have something you like that has appreciated

this is kind of investment/speculation - so be prepared to lose in the game. Use money you can afford to waste ;)

19. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

What do you think of these coins thery're colored but must be aftermarket.. somewhere there is an little corporation busy coloring coins for profit.. but if this is allowed i doubt it, but as long they 're not stopped nice to see... haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mmissinglink

^ Nice coins. I wouldn't buy them but still nice.