PerthMint 2013 0.5g Mini Koala/Roo Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by SilverQueen, May 12, 2014.

1. SilverQueen

SilverQueen New Member

How much are the 2013 0.5g Mini Koala & Roo Gold Coin worth?

It states that it is unlimited in mintage but does PerthMint declare the 2013 mintage of these coins when the 2014 versions are out?

Understand that the RRP (release price) from PerthMint is $59.50...but why such a huge premium over spot?

Appreciate the insigths and thanks in advance!

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Because it's a gimmick.

The smaller you go, the bigger the premium

3. SilverQueen

SilverQueen New Member

On a technical side, is it much more difficult to manufacture these smaller coins? that's why the premium? Any dealers or perthmint can comment on these?

4. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There would be a set cost to make a coin no matter how small it is.
    the same things need to go into it, design and turning the machine on to spit 'em out,
    paying the guy with tiny fingers to put 'em all in capsules ect.
    then they get cards printed, stick the mini's on 'em, market them and the retailers have a markup too.

currently a mini is worth $22.22 in gold. if you smashed a mini roo with a hammer into a little ball, it's still worth $22.22
    that's why coins are worth more. there's also the new mini kook'

basically they are a gift thing, just like the 1/10 carded silver koala's at $15 ea which probably is higher premium then the gold mini's.
    the sort of thing a non-stacker would buy for themselves for fun, or something to slip in an envelope as a little gift.
    they beat greeting cards, you can pay $8 for a birthday card worth 10c

5. SilverQueen

SilverQueen New Member

Thank you miniroo. I saw last few months a few people buying stacks of the Gold Mini Roos&Koala at the post office and there was a queue on it as well. I asked the post office manager about the demand - they said that they are usually sold out immediately when they display to sell and they have it on back order for their customers. I don't see such demand or trade on this forum but I see the demand on main-street. Very interesting...I suppose the Gold Mini roo will be very trade-able when Gold goes north of $2k-3k/oz. I wonder whether it will do well as a numis in the future.