2014 Fiji Taku

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by crutch024, Apr 12, 2014.

1. db23

db23 Member

No disrespect to you, but you are absolutely wrong. There are people out there willing to pay a premium for Fiji Taku coins, but they will disappear if NZM resumes minting older dates. Also, you are wrong, they are not just a round, they are a legal tender coin.

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

hey, I like(ed) the Taku, very well done, it was a welcomed addition to my yearly world bullion set, but lets be honest, it was low impact item.
    If we have the ear of a NZM rep then I would love to know why they do not elevate the "silver fern" to a yearly, widely available bullion issue for NZ?

The current fern has no year on the round (a major flaw that kills both collectibleness and desirability) and is hard to find anyway.
    Until it on APMEX I would not touch trying to order from NZ Mint to US.

So NZM, why not get into the game with a yearly SILVER FERN issue with Kookaburra type mintage???

3. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

You are right, they do have a dollar value attached to them, I forgot about that one. I was even looking at one of mine this morning lol.

4. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

I agree, and would buy the kiwis, if it weren't for such a high price :(

5. Travelgall

Travelgall New Member

Damn, I liked their 5oz Taku's. Well the 2012 one anyway, the 2013 with the Fiji crest didn't look as good.

6. old silver guy

old silver guy New Member

I found some info on the 2014 Fiji Taku. APMEX is selling by ( pre-order ) at the moment a coin called the New Zealand Niue Hawksbill turtle coin. The description said it is still minted at the NZ. They will continue the " Taku" but the name has changed to the " Niue Hawksbill Turtle coin and not the Taku.....23.60 USD

7. old silver guy

old silver guy New Member

Let me know what you think guys

8. db23

db23 Member

The Takus were never minted in New Zealand. The new coin just like the original Taku will be minted at the Sunshine Mint in the US on behalf of the New Zealand Mint.

I'm pretty sure NZM doesn't even own any minting equipment and instead subs all of the actual minting work out to real mints like Sunshine.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

...and that is the problem with making the ferns like the Kookaburras, the price goes up and no one would buy them.

At the moment the NZM have their expensive premium Kiwis, of which I have a couple at most and only because I needed that particular year. But I have a tube of the ferns, a nice low budget item from a well known mint. Best of both worlds.

As much as I like gardening, I think there are only so many ways you could draw a fern leaf.

10. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[I agree, and would buy the kiwis, if it weren't for such a high price

...and that is the problem with making the ferns like the Kookaburras, the price goes up and no one would buy them.

At the moment the NZM have their expensive premium Kiwis, of which I have a couple at most and only because I needed that particular year. But I have a tube of the ferns, a nice low budget item from a well known mint. Best of both worlds.

NZM only produce the Taku and and Silver Ferns - plus many other proof coins but the expensive premium silver Kiwi carded or proof coin you are speaking of comes from the NZ Reserve Bank and released thru the NZ Post shop outlets just as your carded Kangaroo is made thru the RAM and sold with Auspost

Very nice 2011 carded Kiwi if I remember correctly