Coin Storage Question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by jetsfan2014, May 2, 2014.

1. jetsfan2014

jetsfan2014 New Member

I am currently storing my MS70 coins in their respective NCG and PCGS storage boxes (holds 20 coins each). I put a desiccate in each to absorb moisture. Anything else I should be doing to protect these babies? Thanks in advance!!

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bubble wrap and kisses.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

expensive, but worth it, especially for your s70's, but I highly recommend coinarmour.com I used them. Do research. I did, and paid the extra dough. And then I put them in air-tite containers, and then add moisture and oxygen absorbers...seems to work. :)

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have it on good authority that the fish farts used to make bubble wrap contain sulphur. Not recommended. However, I'm happy to kiss most coins.

5. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

Bubble wrap and kisses is what I store all my silver and coins in. The bubble wrap protects them and the kisses make me feel good!

6. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

That Coinarmour stuff does look good, but it's costly and the 5-year indicated lifespan is a drawback. I prefer the "old school" approach---steel military surplus ammo cans with rechargeable desiccant paks inside along with the goods. You have to pick them carefully and make sure you get ones with viable rubber gaskets, but those things are good for decades.

7. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

Have a look at these - injection moulded plastic ammo boxes with gaskets, lockable

http://westernfirearms.com.au/storage-ammo-cases-sportsmens-utility-dry-box-p-1147.html
    Also http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammo-cans.html

8. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi!

Any suggestions for storing smaller amount of coins (with their boxes) in safe box or some smaller limited area?

I vacuum seal most of the coins which mean more to me, but would be good to have some additional protection. :)

Thanks!

Br

9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The closure system on those is weak and doesn't hold up well over time. The surplus steel ones are a lot sturdier and last a lot longer. For plastic boxes, check out the photo gear boxes made by Pelican, HPRC and SKB. They're expensive, but they have robust closure systems and they're very durable. If you go for any of those, be sure to get an unlined model because most of them come filled with foam padding intended to protect expensive camera gear from getting bounced around. The best bang for the buck is the metal ones, though---you can find them in the $10 to $20 range, they have air-tight seals and they last for decades.

10. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/ammo-cans-storage-containers.html

11. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Great, thanks for the info! :)

Anyone from Europe maybe know where can I get these? (yeah, I will Google it :) ).

Don't want that customs decide to open the package and then find ammo boxes inside. Hey, they are for cookies! :p