what is a good price for silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by craig12, Apr 20, 2014.

1. craig12

craig12 New Member

what do you think is a good price to buy silver at in $ or
    its had its highs and lows , but what price would you say is a good price that even if it went up or down after your purchase you still felt that you got it for a good price
    regards craig
    I think after looking at the charts and the rise before the 2008 recession 6-8 per oz seems to be a good goal

2. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Someone else pointed out that that the answer to that probably depends on spot price when a person started stacking. I agree - not always true, but a major factor.

For myself, I consider anything below $22 U.S. to be a good price. That is about $10 under my starting point.

I'm one of the ones who thinks that there are reasons and times to buy higher premium silver, and that is easier to do as spot increases.

At $12 U.S. - you will have a large pile of fiat before you are able to spend it.
    I find sub $17 to be highly unlikely, and sub $15 - just not going to happen.
    But then, your crystal ball is probably as good as mine.

I would love to admit I called that one wrong.

3. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The answer to your question will change daily with spot, simply because silver cannot be valued by any conventional method. A perfect example of this was the infamous call by Mike Baloney that silver is a gift under $30. :lol:

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

What is spot changes daily with all people on its market.
    What is conventional changes daily with all people on its market.
    All of them.
    Not just your Mike Baloney.
    So, determining a 'good price', comes down to gathering as much info as there is available. From silvers market, and from related markets.
    And filtering the scams out of it, by comparing, by looking at contradictions, by recognizing causes and consequences.
    Some people do not like answers.
    Because these could make clear what they do, regardless what they say, including nothin'. :D

5. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

Mike Baloney [​IMG]

in all seriousness though the market can not handle another big spike yet, the pain for many has to wear off those who lost cash I mean and there were plenty of them, so sideways for a while and a bit so we can stock up then learn from the last spike, well that's my theory and I'm going to run with it :D

6. Silver Saver

Silver Saver Member

I think anything below USD$20/oz is a good buy. I would just buy some and wait for another opportunity.

7. craig12

craig12 New Member

uk average for many a year was 3-4 per ounce

8. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I got a feeling the stock market is overdue for a collapse, we're in for some hurt at the ass end of the year. As I sit now, I'm holding cash and waiting for what I consider the inevitable.

I want to be buying Silver well under $20/oz.
    I think it has the future potential to get into the low 30s again, particularly as I suspect the Aussie dollar to get smashed against the USD in the near future.

9. wrcmad

Another good example of how silver cannot be valued. :)

10. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

spot - 20% thats pretty good

11. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

If your question is "even if it went up or down after your purchase you still felt that you got it for a good price" my answer would be $6/oz, because I think the bottom price would be $5/oz. Having said that, anything below $10/oz would be rather respectable.

$20/oz is crazy, and a sure loser. It's FOUR times the price it was for much of the last 100 years, when there was much more uncertainty than now (including the great depression and two world wars), and more industrial demand (film).

12. Argentum

lol at cheepo

13. Savocado

Savocado New Member

Woah there buddy, the massive inflation we have had lately can't justify a drop that huge, lets not forget the spike in oil prices which aren't coming down.

The only thing that could push down the miners costs of production would be some major global economic hurt, and like last time this would push the price of silver higher.

14. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

What massive inflation you have had lately? In HK we have had 2-3%, while in Japan they have had deflation for years, and now they are also talking about deflation in Europe. $5-7/oz is the real price of silver (inflation adjusted, with 2012 dollars) of much of the last 100 years: http://www.macrotrends.net/1333/gold-and-silver-prices-100-year-historical-chart

You will see it was below $10/oz for the whole of the last 100 years, except the bubble of the 1980s, and the bubble of 2008.

The only thing that could push down the miners costs of production is the price of silver dropping, which means that they would close down the mines that produce at a higher cost.

$5/oz is my bottom price (why would it now be any different from the last 100 years). But anything below $10 you will eventually make some money (even though you might have to wait for 20 years to do so :))

15. wrcmad

+1
    Stackers will keep referencing the cost of mining as a psychological safeguard to their investment, but IMHO it has SFA to do with spot.

16. Savocado

Savocado New Member

Here in Australia the cost of living has been rising quite dramatically, the CPI says inflation sits at 3-4% but it's much higher than that. Major rises have happened in energy and property.

It was also the oil embargo imposed on the west which played a major factor in the price rises, this time oil is rising because of declining supplies, there is only so much shale can do to help us out here. Alternatives will become more efficient and eventually pull us out of this mess.

As for the financial world, the problems have not been sold and the debt continues to grow, we're just waiting for the next round of the bumpy ride.

You started a thread on this, you really should read it. Also remember the miners need to turn a profit over the cost of production.

17. Argentum

savocado you forgot food

18. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If one paints his glasses, and ignores all information out there, in the world.

19. craig12

craig12 New Member

$12 seems to be worth looking out for to be an average

20. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

not many people can see in to the future if they could they would all be rich so all this is fun to read but it means nothing other than a good read.

seen lots of people on here pull their own chain including me and it all means crap really simple truth is the rich get richer and the poor get the picture :)