Jace, the Mind Sculptor 1 oz Silver

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverman99, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. funman1

funman1 New Member

Unless I actually gain magic powers by owning this, and that magic power gives me the ability to create money I will not be buying these LOL

3. TIPIT

TIPIT New Member

haha You would be surprised of the interest in this one. I agree the selling price is a bit high, but still...

Magic: The Gathering (MTG) players throw thousands of dollars into singles cards. This is a famous trading card game that last for more than 20 years and average players have collection worth hundreds of dollars! I personally played this game in '95 when I was a teen and really enjoyed it. The subject came on this game few years ago at my workplace and I was shocked to discover 4-5 people were still playing it even at 25-40 years old... and then rediscovered the game myself and now play once in a while. But the important here is I saw for how much cards were sold, I looked at it with my investors-eyes and just "invested" in the hobby.
    People are paying tens of dollars for a single card they "think" will fit well into their game strategy... if it doesn't they just put it aside and buy another one.
    Jace, The Mind Sculptor is one of the most known card.

Anyway, with the 5,000 mintage, and Wizards of the Coast and MTG community behind this, I wouldn't be surprised this will be a hit.

4. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I would agree that the MTG crowd would love this, but how many of those are also silver stackers or will ever even know about this? It all depends on how it is marketed.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sad to say I am a member of both camps, the MtG collectors forums and the silver stackers forums.

The collectors who would spend $1000 on a piece of cardboard with a picture of a black lotus on it don't see the value in spending $145 on $20 worth of silver with a picture of Jace on it.

They are all aware of the coin and there are several threads on the coin on the different sites but no one has expressed any interest in getting any.

One did suggest that if it was a playable card then they would get one.

In my opinion, if WotC or Hasbro got together with Valaurum http://www.valaurum.com/ and made playable gold proxies they would definitley get a few takers wanting to pimp their decks.

6. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

mtgparadise was I one frequented a few years ago, no idea if it still exists

Or at least a foil version or full-bleed art version of the planeswalker card

7. Jislizard

8. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If any of the Brisbane stackers maybe interested in one of these happy to pick up and bring over with me during the first week of May and either do f2f or bring along to the meet if the dates work out to save on postage costs and catch up while I'm there

For any other Australian stackers could post from Brisbane if keen

In saying all of the above any other N.Z. Mint products stackers could be interested in the same offer applies

PM or email

9. TIPIT

TIPIT New Member

Why is it sad to say? Because you spend too much money on these two hobbys/collection/investment than you would like to? haha This is actually my case haha (not very much involved into MTG forums but I play/invest/follow the game).

I agree that many players don't see the value in this, but IMO, many were expecting a playable card, a "coin" that tehy can flip and use in the game, etc. So obviously these are not impressed by the coin. A lot (and I guess the majority) of players will not see anything interesting in this coin niether.

But I really think WOTC will push this coin, like giving some to tournament winners, having them in official events, etc.
    And when I was referring to players who throw a lot of cash... it wasn't an "insult", as I fall into this category (not into thousands for single cards, but I still have a decent legacy deck with cards worth in the 3-digits).

Anyway, I can be wrong, but my feeling is MTG people will switch from a "cannot play with it nor flip it as a coin" so no-value to a "I gotta have this" just because this is cool!

10. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

You've seen it all when they start making magic cards from 999 silver.

Personally, I am not a fan of this product at all. One of the most anaesthetically pleasing (to my eyes) piece that I have ever seen silver made into.

11. gwako

gwako New Member

This has been a very hot seller on eBay and our website. I personally think the low mintage among all the MTG players and coin collectors is a huge plus for this coin.

12. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You mean this coin?

[​IMG]

13. Jislizard

That would be the reason!

You would think that this sort of thing would be the answer to my prayers, two birds with one stone! But it doesn't appeal to either of my addictions.

Other than characters I am not sure what they could have put on the coins which would have pleased everybody.