About this 1990 1 Oz Panda....

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silentMove1, Mar 25, 2014.

1. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

Hello SilverSacker Community,
    I recently bought a 1990 Panda for what I consider to be a very good price from someone online with a very good reputation. Still, I have concerns that this coin might not be real... not only because the price was low ($47 USD including delivery), but also the weight seems to be slightly less heavy than my 2014 pandas (although that might be a capsule difference, not sure?), and also I notice a pinkish toning on the coin (although not really pink but not a regular toning that I see in my other older coins). I also do not want to open the plastic envelope and inspect it closer being that iI would perhaps devalue the worth of the coin. I also checked for imperfections and compared it to both real and known fake coins of this type but I found nothing that would determine that this coin might be fake.... So I am posting photos of the coin to see if someone in the community can perhaps help me determine if this coin is indeed real or not.... any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your comments! :cool:

[​IMG]
    Source: [​IMG]
    Source:

PS... I actually bought three coins from the seller and this is one of them... this coin however I have the most doubts about.... Thanks!

2. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks real.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I think you may get more responses on the Panda thread.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try the neodymium magnet test, works through OMP. Or ask a dealer with an x-ray fluorescence spectrometer.

Have you checked the thickness? Fakes are usually thicker.

5. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

I agree it looks very real and indeed I think it is, but you just never know.... also, I've posted in Panda thread which I should have originally done so but Im fairly new here and didn't notice.... Thank you two for your inputs!

6. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

It is hard to check the thickness. The neodymium magnet test I have not tried to be honest but will certainly do so promptly, and you also ease my doubts about it being able to work trough the plastic envelope and capsule.... Thank you!

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No problem :) A $20 electronic calipers would be a good buy to test the Panda. And a plastic one to test coins out of capsules. N magnet test is probably the easiest and quickest way. Let us know how you go

8. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rim toning even if looks pinkish in colour (often on mirror finish) confirming the silver.
    I had one like that, also the same year also under double seal