2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver - Hottest Year yet!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by GreyGhost, Nov 25, 2013.

1. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Still, no point in buying the 5 oz bullion issue and trying to have it graded. You can buy one already graded for less money.

ParadiseMint.com is another option for those looking for the graded bullion issues.

2. db23

db23 Member

The P version can be easily picked over because the US Mint accepts returns. MCM orders 1000 coins and has them sent to PCGS, 200 of them fail to grade at least a PF69 so what does MCM do with these? Slab as a 68? Sell at a discount? Noooo they put them back in the package and return to the mint for a full refund. Now just because it's not a 69 or 70 doesn't mean it's defective, so what's the mint going to do - destroy them or fill the next 200 orders with them? ;)

Also, aside from 2011 - the mintages aren't that far apart - as far as US bullion products go away...

3. heyimderrick

Sorry, I don't think there is any way MCM/APMEX/Etc. are receiving 1000 coins and getting them shipped to NGC/PCGS for screening and having the lower grades repacked and returned within the 7 days the Mint allows for returns/refunds.

4. db23

db23 Member

Seriously? So they can grade 40,000+ Pandas in less than 2 months, but can't go through a measly 1000 ATBs?

5. heyimderrick

It just doesn't seem logistically feasible that they receive their coins from the mint, ship them to PCGC/NGC, have them screened, have the rejects shipped back to them, then ship them back to the mint for a refund all within 7 days. I also don't see the mint readily accepting hundreds or thousands of returned coins. But, it's really not worth debating as neither of us can substantiate our theories one way or the other.

6. db23

db23 Member

There is the flaw. Their coins are getting shipped directly to the graders from the mint. When you give the graders so much business you get special treatment.

It's 7 days from when you receive the coin, also just has to be shipped back within the 7 days not actually received back.

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

That doesn't makes sense at all.

If the US Mint ships direct to a TPG (which I highly doubt) the receipt within 7 days is to the TPG, not the alleged firm having the US Mint drop ship to the TPG. Between the shipping and grading that's easily more than a week.

8. picturefun

picturefun Member

You COMPLETELY misunderstand what I said!

No one is saying they switch the P version coin with the one in the mint package. And NO one is saying they will open the capsule. ALL they need to do is to look at the coin IN the capsule, can use magnifier too. And do NOT tell me you think ALL the P version in Mint packaging will be graded as PF70. ALL they need to do is to inspect, take out the better ones, and paying extra to send them to grade, and selling those not passing the smell test on Ebay in the Mint package.

This is already known by MANY people, it is just so obvious!

Whoever said this is not happening in MCM or APMEX is kidding themselves.

Plus, how does the so-called mint-sealed rolls are sealed? using tapes. even if a 3 year old child can open it, and reseal it.

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

why do they have to have NGC or PCGS do the screening? Even I can do it! A lot of proof coins from ALL mints are LESS than 69 or 70, I can tell, why not those guys in MCM and APMEX? I know for a fact, that many dealers are screening the annual US mint set and US mint silver set, and send less favorable ones RIGHT back to the Mint. I personally got returned set quite a few times! Have to do the exchange.

By the Way, the U.S. Mint does not destroy the returned annual sets, they RESELL to the retail buyers. For the last couple of years, ALL the Mint silver sets I ordered had to do exchange. of course, at the Mint cost. They have to pay for the return shipping because the problem is so obvious. One does NOT even need to use magnifier to see them

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

1000 5 OZ ATB coin for grading from one dealer alone? You must be joking. I doubt Neither APMEX nor MCM does that kind of volume for 5 oz coins

11. picturefun

picturefun Member

They do not necessarily return all of them. Take a look at MCM and APMEX listing on the bay, they sell a lot of BU coins and proof coins in original Mint packaging. I would say those are being picked and are leftovers.

12. db23

db23 Member

The first one has started shipping, should have my orders tomorrow.

13. mmissinglink

The newly released Great Smoky Mountains 5 oz Silver Coins collector "P" version is nearly sold out as of last week's reporting. With every release starting in 2013, it seems as if the "P" version is selling out quicker than the previous release. After all, the Smoky Mountain issue was released for sale 6 days before it was 90% sold out at the Mint.

Glad I got my coin ordered early.

14. heyimderrick

I just received the last "P" I needed for the complete run from 2010-2013. Late to the game so my average cost per coin for the first 20 is $237/ea. Glad I subscribed to the series at the 10% discount because all the new issues are going to seem real cheap now!

15. mmissinglink

heyimderrick, you're not the only one who arrived late to this hot ATB party. Besides, the US Mint pricing on some of the early issues was over $200 from what I understand. The US Mint never offered free shipping until last year I believe....and last year for only a limited time. So, if you got free shipping on your coins, you may not have done as badly as you may think on the 2010 and 2011 coins.

Now what's really getting wild is the prices on some of the high graded "P" versions. I was fortunate enough to pick up on eBay a 2010 Grand Canyon SP70 for a very good price. I think this perfect graded coin is one of my best purchases since stacking/buying coins and medals.

16. db23

db23 Member

Just received my 10 Smokey Mountain P coins, 3 of them going back for exchange. 1 has a small scratch and the other 2 have what look almost like small divots in the sky to the left of the hawk.

17. mmissinglink

My coin looks very good. No noticeable flaws.

18. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

I received my ATBs yesterday.
    I don't find the Mint site as intuitive as non-government sites.
    I originally subscribed for three, and decided the price was so good I'd order two more.

I was hesitant to cancel my first subscription, knowing how government things operate.
    I couldn't update my shopping cart quantity, so I ordered two more, hoping they would combined orders, silly me.

So they shipped three, got them by UPS. Wondered why, with the postal service in financial problems - supposedly due to competition from private carriers - the Mint did not use USPS.
    Well, in the afternoon, by USPS, I received the other two.
    I assume for three - UPS is cheaper, for two - USPS is cheaper.

No marks on the coins, but one had a fiber or short hair in the capsule. I wanted to use my canned air to blow it out, had a heck of a time separating the capsule. In the end only cracked it open on one side and blew it out. Cracked as in opened a crack, not damaged.
    The two halves did not want to separate.
    These are my first 5oz, but I have 2 oz and 10 oz, and these capsules seem 'cheap' compared to the others.

Nice coins, glad I ordered five. Next time, if I change my mind, I will cancel the order, and make a new subscription.

19. mmissinglink

^ That's the way to do it if you have 2 orders and you want to have items from both shipped together. Cancel both then do new order. The only caveat would be if one or more of the items in one of the 2 orders is close to being sold out. By cancelling, you get put on the end of the waiting list for the almost sold out coin and there's a chance you could end up not getting it because it's unavailable.

I won't be surprised to read that this week the newly released 5 oz Great Smoky Mountain "P" coin is sold out. This series is getting hotter with every new release. In 2011, there hardly was this enthusiasm for the coins....now they are selling out fast and in the aftermarket there appears to be healthy demand for them.

Just imagine what a complete set will be worth in 2021....with all 56 coins represented in OGP....wow!

20. itrainsdogsandcats

itrainsdogsandcats New Member