E bay

Discussion in 'Silver' started by copperhead, Mar 11, 2014.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I know that Ebay has higher prices then street shops but for me since I sell copper on ebay I will often take the copper money in pay pal and buy silver my recent purchase 3 maple leafs $78
    5 silver eagles $135
    free shipping but I know it's built into price of silver

My concern all the coins weigh proper no magnet sticking But can I accidentally be buying fake
    I must say the maple leafs are like mirrors .I mean WOW .

I noticed 2 eagles from 2 years ago the finish has a chalkier finish but weight and magnet perfect , so is that a guarantee or do I need acid test . I am wondering about the chalkier ones though as to me silver brand new is like glass then as it get old duller but a patina like a fine old wood floor . It looks oxidized in the middle areas both sides .
    not like the coins do more then sit in a tube .

2. HOWUDN

HOWUDN Member

Have you got any pics to show what it looks like

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I have seen top tier MS70 graded slabbed ASE's appearing to look different from one another. Also, different silver bullion coins look different. Libertads appear to look like ASE's in my opinion whereas 2013 Britannias look like cheap cast white metal that's been polished. Perth mint bullion products like the Lunars have a different look than any of those previously mentioned here. So, I can't tell by just appearance and I suppose even experts can not distinguish just from appearance between the real thing and a high quality fake.

I've heard it said many times that the best way to ensure that you are getting real goods is to buy directly from the mint or from long established, reputable dealers whose sources can be trusted.

4. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

The Canadian maples are beautiful , Maybe the eagles are not so consistent . For sure a seller on ebay could sell fakes and customers will just keep giving a good rating due to inexperience .
    It stands to reason if I buy enough coins from here and there & every where
    I could get a fake in time

5. klacey

klacey New Member

You could always test one of the coins, atleast you will feel better about future purchases by damaging just 1. I have never tested it, but an app does frequency tests or even try the chemical test.

6. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

Try the Neodymium magnets to test for the 'diamagnetism' of the silver coins. There are also some demonstrations on youtube, having tried this on several coins myself, both silver and cupronickel it does work, you don't even have to remove the coin from the capsule in most cases. This also works for 0.925 silver coins as well as 999 pure. If you want to know the physics behind it search wikipedia as its a long winded explanation. I have read this will also work with gold coins but haven't tried it for myself yet.

Acid will test the coin but is better reserved for silver jewellery chains etc that cannot be tested for diamagnetism effectively. Acid will also ruin the finish of your coins and the stains are awkward to remove.

Method:

In short tilt the coin at approx 45+ degrees. Take 2 or 3 neodymium magnets that are approximately 8mm x 1mm and stick the magnets together. Apply the magnets to the surface of the coin or capsule with the coin in, the magnets should slide very slowly from top to bottom down the coin/capsule indicating a high silver content. No silver and the magnets will quickly slide away in less than a second.

This will not work with common or garden magnets, it has to be the neodymium version which are available in the right size of approximately 8mm diameter for 1 or 2 for 25magnets, there are plenty on fleabay I would recommend you purchase several like the 25 pack as they are so cheap but are small and liable to be lost.

Another way is to take a micrometer or vernier caliper and measure the coins checking your results against the manufacturers specification or a known good coin, you should be within 0.1mm depending on the accuracy of your measuring device, the weight should also be exactly right to a similar tolerance of 0.1g - 0.2g depending on how good your scales are. Unfortunately manufacturers don't always publish the exact measurements of their coins.

E2a: grammar.

7. centenario

centenario New Member

here is an easy test: weigh the coins, get a digital scale and check the weight has to be over 31,1 grs. on an ounz coin.
    also you can measure the coin, all coins have specific measurements and weight