RCM - giving it a second chance

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Mar 8, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I just received my first Canada 2013 Red Enamel Proof Maple Leaf silver coin and it is absolutely a stunning coin. I have my share of milk spotted RCM bullion coins but I am now ready to begin giving the RCM a second chance. Surprisingly for me, this is now one of my favorite coins:

[​IMG]

2. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

:rolleyes:

I do think you know what is the difference, between the bullion RCM coin and numismatic RCM (or collector) coins.

This coin is worth more than a hundred bucks.

I have my share of milk spotted American silver Eagles bullion too. But i still buy them for my bullion stacking.

3. mmissinglink

^^^ :rolleyes:

I know the difference and you are overpaying far too much premium if you are stacking coins like ASE bullion coins. You would be saving a lot of money by stacking blobs or rounds which have a significantly lower premium much of the time.

I do not buy the over-priced ASE's to stack....I am smarter than that. The Red Impression proof Maple Leaf will be sold some day (whether by me or to the one I pass it down to) for a nice profit. It's very possible that the spot price of pm's will remain low for a protracted amount of time or may crash to new lows once again during any of the next consolidation periods in my lifetime. While there is risk with buying high quality, high premium coins like this beautiful RCM Red Maple Leaf, there's at least as much risk buying common crap bullion in the hopes that when I need to sell, that I will not be losing value. You already lose value selling ASE bullion to dealers not only in the loss of premium that you had to pay to buy them that you will not get back but in the expense of getting these pieces to a dealer.

To each their own.

4. funman1

funman1 New Member

There is a killer deal on these right now on ebay.
    $89 Shipped..
    Odd that Silvertowne has them priced HIGHER on their own website than feebay account!?!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291091647267

5. mmissinglink

Wow...that's the best price I have seen on these anywhere (plus FREE shipping as well)...if you buy directly from the RCM, they will charge $114.00 plus whatever shipping costs they charge you.

Thank you for the link, I'm going to buy one!

6. funman1

funman1 New Member

Yeah the price was so good I had to purchase one too!

7. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I jumped in and got one as well, always liked the look of this one.

8. clear

clear Well-Known Member

this seems like good value, have a look at the face value $ 20 (almost spot) , the regular 1oz is only $5 , anyway very nice looking.

9. db23

db23 Member

The fact that they are selling this for about $13 below the mint's suggested price should say something about what kind of investment this coin is.

10. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Probably true and good to know if you are buying it as an investment. But sometimes I just like to line my nest with shiny things I see as I am out and about!

11. mmissinglink

The fact that you can find on eBay a product that is selling for less than you can find it on the mint website is not at all a necessary indication that the coin is not a good investment. I have purchased several coins on eBay this way and sold them for more than what the mint's selling price was.

You can find terrific bargains on eBay and all the time people make purchases and turn around and sell it for more....I've seen that happen countless times.

12. db23

db23 Member

Ok - This is an official RCM distributor having a fire-sale of a coin that will not sell at the mints suggested retail price. Not only is it about $13 USD under that price, but they will also lose at least a few percent to ebay and paypay. Clearly they see this as dead weight at the retail price set by the mint.

This isn't just some random person that decided this isn't a coin they want in their collection anymore, if it were it would fit more with your scenario.

The biggest problem is that RCM needs to lose the notion that every coin they sell needs to be a $90-$100 coin. Some of their proof coins would sell really well in the $50-60 range, which is where they belong with mintages of 8-13K or more.

13. mmissinglink

^ Point well made

14. funman1

funman1 New Member

That's a possibility..
    I looks like an amazing coin, this one has been the first two sway me to purchase a colored coin.

They now have less than 10 left so they are selling at this price, and oddly enough MANY people are still bidding above mint price on his coin TODAY. So not all people have found this deal, or all other sales would grind to a halt.
    So it's still worth mint price to some people. and as long as there are people willing to pay then it will hold its value.

15. funman1

funman1 New Member

Mine came in today
    I REALLY like it!!

Here are my two pics... Sorry for the bad quality it was my cellphone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mmissinglink

You got that coin really quickly. Those cell phone pics are amazing! It is quite astonishing that many bidders on eBay are not very thorough in their searches...they could be saving money on the purchase price and in many cases, the shipping costs as well.

Hey, their loss for not doing due diligence.

17. funman1

funman1 New Member

Yeah they shipped next day after I bought it. Impressive!
    Cellphone camera is nothing more than an old Droid 4? LOL

That's one thing I do REALLY well is searches,
    I have several proprietary algorithms I use as well as some typo programs I built, where it will give me results with typos IE someone misspells Diseny, sno white, or sillver.
    Because these words won't come up in normal correct search, I can usually jump in these auctions and have little to no competition most of the time thus capitalizing on their poor spelling :)
    Some people use ozt some use .999 some use oz
    All those are different searches completely there is very little that slips past me when I'm looking :)

18. mmissinglink

^ I thought I was diligent....wow....you got me beat handily. Creating an algorithm sounds like it would be over my head....

....okay, how do you do it?

19. funman1

funman1 New Member

I built mine in PHP and run them from my website, the scrips I wrote go hit ebay with my MANY specialized searches iv'e refined over the years, then parses the ebay results, and then runs them through "my algo's" and returns results to me.

This also can sort by what items are probable to have less traffic due to spelling or ONLY using .999 in the title, things like that.

I can "aim" it at anything I want to find a good deal on from Looney Tunes, Disney, Silver coins, Cisco routers, Laptops, you name it and with minimal tweaks it will run the items though the process.

I nailed a nice silver 1oz round the other day for $4.99 (Starting bid) because he used such terrible spelling and very few key words in his listings.
    No one else found the auction and thus no one else bid against me :)

I kinda feel it's more of an "art form" that actual science, a lot of it is built on my "hunches" of where odd items will be, or what some might end up calling them.

20. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has the round turned up yet?

My searches for badly spelled words ended when eBay got rid of the * wild card.