Value of Kookaburra sets? Question answered. Thanks.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Belvedere, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

I hope this is the right forum for this question. There have been 4 sets of 1 oz Kooks sold on SS recently but unfortunately the asking price has been deleted after the sale although I appreciate the reason for this. I have some Kookaburra sets (25 coins) but don't really know how to price them reasonably as a set rather than the coin value if sold separately. I also have several sets of 1kg, 10 oz, 2 oz and 1oz Kooks which again I have little idea of their value as a set as opposed to the individual coin value. Any suggestions as to their value???? The Bay values are all over the shop.

I hope there is some guidance out there. Cheers.

Guidance received (but not divine intervention)!!!! Thanks

2. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Hi

In regards to your question, be more specific on what you have. your kook set are they all original coins or have you have restrikes, as some of the kooks can raise a good price if they are not restrikes. also you need to specify the dates of your kilo collections, are they proof or bullion.. date would help alot too.

ebay is a great place to look at, but to do the right research you will need to look at the sold auction lots. not what people think they can get for the coins.
    please bear in mind if your thinking about selling your coins on ebay you must factor in the ebay fees and also the paypal fees which can reach about 9.4% + 30c of your final auction price.

another great way to know what your coins can fetch is to make a list here and ask what people would offer you for your coins.

for example an expression of interest. see what people here would offer for your collectoin of kooks.

1990 - 2014 1oz kooks what price you can offer --???

hope this helps alittle

James

3. Belvedere

Hi James,

Thanks for that info. I have some of the earlier kooks in square capsules which look really ugly but I have left the coins in them. The 1 oz coins are straight 1 oz coins. Nothing fancy but all immaculate. I paid a bit of premium for coins with no toning. I have set of 1kg,10oz,2oz and 1oz 1992 and 2009 Kooks as well. Not proof.

At the moment, I am just enjoying the collection but became wobbly about the value in light of recent sales. When I get sick of them I will put them up for sale and it is good to have an approximate value. Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.

Cheers

4. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

then why don't you share it? others may like the information as well.

also, how is it possible to tell restrike from original?

5. Gilligan

Gilligan Member

^ maybe you just need to ask? Ask nicely, that is...

6. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Restrike Kookaburras were only made for years 1991 - 2007 (as 2008-2012 were all sold up to their original mintage limits).
    All of these restrikes came in round cases.

Now original strike 1990 - 1999 came in square cases - so you can easily tell if they are restrikes or not by the type of case.

However all Kookaburras minted after 2000 came in round cases, so you cant really tell if they are reminted or not.

Any Kookaburras 2008 - will definately be originals as no restrikes were made for these years.

Hope that helps :)

Declared mintages of Kookaburras fyi.

http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...ra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Series_1990_-_2013.pdf

7. Belvedere

Thanks Au-M,

That clears up a question I failed to ask about restrikes but begs another question.

A couple of coins I have that came in square capsules look their age in that they have a 'toned' look. Others in square cases are absolutely pristine. Is there any other way of differentiating between original strike and restrike coins apart from the case?

Cheers

8. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

Is there any other way of differentiating between original strike and restrike coins apart from the case?

Cheers

in short , you can not tell the difference between old and new

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Haven't tested it, but the restrikes are supposed to be a much more exact weight closer to 1oz. If there is some "giveaway" weight then it is probably original.

Also, the round capsules DID change a few years ago - older ones are slightly thicker and look slightly frosted when looking at the milled edge of the coin, the modern ones are clearer.

Personally I'd value a full set of Kooks (retail) at a minimum $40-50ea average, so $1000-$1250 depending on condition.