Copper 1 oz

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by copperhead, Feb 10, 2014.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if anyone's after copper for the sake of stacking copper as an investment, not just for the looks or collectability of a copper round, which has it's merits,
    then most likely you have it already, right in front of you, maybe in the garage?

I bet you pass 20 - 30 oz of copper sometimes just going to the shops, sitting on a nature strip.
    I don't expect people to be strapping washing machines to their backs and walking home, you could just pick it off on the spot.
    but it's there.

for little effort you can have it for free, work the premium out on that, all you need to focus on then is the spot price and copper is as liquid a metal you can get.

for interest sake, here's a quick example..

This, is a dishwasher, weighs about 40 kg, scrap steel probably $6 so if you took the whole thing your $6 up.

[​IMG]

you can open it and check the steel inside, if it sticks to a magnet it's just steel, if not it's most likely stainless steel.
    in this case it's stainless steel, worth about 5 times regular steel, so you can spend a few minutes here and remove the sheets inside, might add $4 to your bank.

[​IMG]

But you may not want to drag a washing machine home, ok, then just go for the good bits and leave it where it is.

Flip it over..

[​IMG]

I see a spaghetti of insulated wire. cut out all the wire, there's about $3 worth including the main cable, takes seconds to cut away.

[​IMG]

remove a few screws and take out this motor, cut one side off and the other side pulls out, you got maybe 30 oz of copper there alone, rinse and repeat.
    before you know it you got a barrel of it, really it's as simple as that.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We just replaced our old boiler, as soon as I got the spanners out my wife wanted to know what I was intending to do.

Needless to say I didn't strip it down, did I miss out on much? What about air-conditioning units, I wasn't allowed to take that to pieces either (but I do have a shed full of old computers)

3. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

oh yeah, old boilers can have a few kg's of copper in 'em, brass too.

4. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Some electric motors have Aluminum wire , like clothing washing machines some 1/4 1/2 hp also . so far for sure Vacuums are copper dish washer's also . It takes time to get the copper out
    If you already have a job , Just for the challenge you could just simply scrap metal , dissemble a little so you get extra for Copper brass Aluminum and steels . Then take proceeds and buy your neat clean CU Rounds , Sure it's over priced but you bought it from free finds.

5. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos New Member

What made me think of it was that I got a roll of 25 1983 2 cents coins and they are beautiful . :)

[​IMG]

The large pennys aren't unc of course but I got some BU silver with the lot thats pretty nice . Where is a good place to look up the values of the silver?