Copper 1 oz

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by copperhead, Feb 10, 2014.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Wile I do buy 1 oz silver as my main push for PM
    Are copper 1oz coins that can be purchased for $1 per ounce
    OK as a pet project stacking attempt ?

like $20 per month investment - - realize how we spend $20 with ZERO return weekly in life .
    The resell market is E bay or amazon and similar marketing on the net.
    Other than that it's spot market and then I realize - 1 OZ of copper at $1 is like 500% to 700% over spot
    yet there is a small but real market for coins to resell to consumers.

Copper use is growing more scarce as a easy find, yet YES it still can be found regularly
    consumer items are being replaced with plastics , aluminum , as I see from my hands on experience

So my hunch,
    copper use will grow but finding it free will diminish or become tedious to recover
    I figure in 20 years copper investment will show promise even if regulated by those in power to create scarcity .

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The cheapest I have been able to find copper 1oz rounds in Australia is about $4.

In America they are much better priced, $2-$3 but postage to Australia is a bit of a killer.

Some do go up in value, like the Copper Liberty Dollars and some are expensive to begin with, like the AOCS rounds.

I really liked some Lunar Dragon copper rounds from America but in the end they were too much trouble to get hold of.

If I was going to stack copper it would be in the form of copper pipes if I could get them cheap enough.

Other than the hobby of collecting pretty pictures there is no benefit to having copper rounds. In terms of space you might be better off stacking bars in the larger sizes, they physically take up less space and the larger the bar the less the premiums.

3. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to buy copper rounds since they cost so much above spot? So I bought a few. I do think copper is very pretty and they are sort of nice in the hand. I'm not sure I would focus my stacking around them for any sort of long term profit though. I'm sure if you bought a few tubes cheap you could flip them on ebay pretty easy though. I do intend to buy one of each of the Zombucks in copper just for sport but that's really about it for me. I'd rather have some copper tube and wire and some rolls of pre '82 pennies for some quick and easy copper stacking (and even the pennies are a little sketchy since no recycle place will melt them and even if they did they'd pay you for bronze/brass prices since the copper isn't pure).

Anyway, welcome to the forum and keep us posted on copper stacking! I hope copper becomes the new silver!

4. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Thanks also ,

Five years I have scraped metal & I learned how to find Copper , Brass , Lead Aluminum as the fist line of base metals of decent pay for size . steels with weight are fine cash also.

I have been able to purchase Silver from proceeds of scrapping . My silver purchases started about 5 years ago at a high of $39 per OZ , Since I sell scrap metal for silver the price of silver give or take flows of the scrap industry

But I am happy for now Silver is at the current price so I can buy with less of a pinch .

Due to scrapping, metals seem the same to me now -
    that is Metal is worth money -
    But some metals take less room for value like silver .

When I hold in my hand an automobile Rotor and realize it's worth $3 & value can be placed on every type of metal , I try to figure the figure the relationship of metals in the industry.

Wile I have tremendous respect for copper, Sliver is a focal point .
    You know when silver was $37 per OZ - copper was close to $4 per pound - Silver at $ 20 and Copper is $3.20 .

So Silver stacking is my final push . Copper stacking I do a little . Gold not yet .
    Copper is being stockpiled in China - I can't give clear details but casual reading on the net I remember reading relationships to copper with India , America the LME . I see the trend to control the copper market , copper is needed for much of our GOODS and the price stability of GOODS has to stay in reach of our ability to keep buying .
    Can copper be the next silver ? hard to say But copper rounds trade in modest amounts with collectors . If you have the ability to buy 50,000 ounces and the time to move them you will make money.
    If copper could be the next silver It will take decades IMO

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

So back to your Original post.. where are you sourcing 1 adv oz copper rounds for $1.. as stated about they sell for $3 -$4 (before postage) which tends to make them a poor investment when compared to the spot price for copper (which is per pound so more than 8x the weight of a base metal adv oz).

As you say copper is bulky so you'd need a scrap yard to have room for an investment lot.. i would advocate pennies at 20c for entry level metal investment and silver in small quantites.. once you have exhausted space drop copper and nickel and move onto silver.. then gold when you get a decent job or (a job).

1for1

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Last year I bought 1 oz copper rounds for $1 an ounce....not as an investment but rather I just like the design (I'm a Yank who has been to the Statue of Liberty several times) and they will make neat gifts to give away to friends and family.

Here's what they look like: http://www.providentmetals.com/statue-of-liberty-1-oz-999-fine-copper-round.html

As for investments in physical copper, I never heard of it for individuals. Yeah, China can buy up thousands of tons of copper because they have plenty of room to store all that physical metal. If I had decent money to invest in physical metal, it would be platinum, palladium, and gold bullion coins. I stack some silver because my budget only affords silver.

7. Jislizard

At that price I would probably throw in a few with my silver orders as well.

I have about 15 copper rounds which are part of my Community Currency collection but they weren't cheap.

The last company on eBay.com I bought copper rounds from didn't respond to any emails and wouldn't even tell me how much postage to Australia was going to be so I couldn't even pay. They eventually filed a non-payment claim which fortunately eBay told them to shove.

The copper rounds are pretty popular at my local coin club, you can get around $5 each for them if you have lots of different designs but really not worth the effort.

8. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Still you have a opportunity to earn money .
    OK in the USA some people pay as much as $4 to $5 for what they are convinced are rare But if you look Ebay has some fine deals on types that would be considered last years types . I buy 20 oz per month of them. In the USA , it's like pass the hot potato Zombies are hot
    & the fad will pass . If you spent $1000 on a large well priced batch you have to sell them as fast as you can as the window will shut and you can be stuck with last years news.
    The Zombies in time will sell at the $22 per 20 OZ eventually ABOUT $1 per ounce is the real value trade price and it makes sense when you consider what a company has to do to make a coin .

Fast research shows me I can't find any Minting company that make copper rounds in AU . But you can ship 20 pounds via USPS for $78 purchase price of $1 per coin from mint companies in USA with shipping comes to $ 1.21 per coin . I bet you can sell for more then $ 1.21 per OZ in AU .

9. Jislizard

We have had a couple of members here who were selling copper rounds via this website and eBay. Some even had an Australian theme. They were more as collectables than a method of stacking, not a lot of interest in stacking copper.

I am not sure why they stopped but it is probably more profitable to sell silver items.

You would have to import less than $900 otherwise you get hit with 10% customs duty and GST on the postage and AU$50 handling fee.

Then you have around 25 members in the coin club who might be interested in some, then maybe 10-20 at one of the silverstackers meetings. These are the people who don't have to pay postage so might be more interested in getting a handful.

After the low hanging fruit has been picked you have to start actively selling them, this site is good as it has free sales areas, eBay and paypal charges will eat into your profit but have a larger audience.

You should be able to sell the first few hundred quite effortlessly, as long as you are happy to be left with the remainder then you don't really have a problem, it would be ideal for a copper stacker who wanted to increase their stack but at a bulk discount price.

It might be worth having a Google to find the best prices and variety, not something I have looked into in the past because I am a stacker not a trader, I still have pretty much all the silver and copper I have ever bought.

10. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am looking at selling some copper rounds at this Sunday's Sydney meet. I'll post something now.

11. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How'd you go?

12. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Little interest.

13. klacey

klacey New Member

I brought 20 copper rounds each of 2 zombucks and 5 sbss. They actually look awesome to me. But I doubt I will make much from them. I was thinking of sending them out as a gift if you spend a certain amount on my store. lol

14. lucky luke

About $1 each purchased in the US. Got them back here at negligible price but only as a novelty. The airtite capsules are worth almost the same as the coin (approx 50cents each). Must admit, they are quite pretty "things" produced for about $1 US.

[​IMG]

15. lucky luke

Interestingly, 1 Oz copper rounds are currently #26 in Gainesvilles top selling items. At 99cents each, it's any wonder. Also interestingly, silver coins/rounds constitute the rest of the top 25 except for one single gold product. Silver seems much more in demand, at Gainesville anyway. This could perhaps be due to affordability though for those of us "poor" stackers. :)

16. Jislizard

I have a couple of yours stashed away somewhere.

I am sure there is a reason you stopped making them, care to share?

My guess is a combination of too expensive to produce, too small a market, other products have a better return.

17. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

I loved your copper 1oz bars,I purchased 10 of them back 5 years ago now,they were a nice addition to my silver and gold stack :cool:

18. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos New Member

I'm in the US and I'm wondering about the Australian cent and 2 cent coins they are listed at 97% copper . Can't you just stack those at face value ? Over here they stopped making copper 1 cent coins in 1982 but you can go to the bank and get mixed cents and just sort through and keep the copper and throw the zinc back. The melt value of a copper cent is around 2.1 cents each. Lots of $50 or $100 face value trade on ebay pretty regularly.

I save every copper US or canadian cent I get and there are folks that have literally tons in barrels. The Canadian nickles up to 1981 are .999 nickle I have tubes of those as well although nickle has been off its high for a few years now.

Recently I bought a big lot of Australian and New zealand coins and 3 of the large pennys make an ounce near enough. I'd take my copper bullion that way over some newly minted round any day.

19. Jislizard

Our copper coinage stopped circulating a long time ago.

You can still buy it but not at face value and as far as I know you can't get it in the banks any more, you can still cash it in at the banks I think. I suspect the Gov melted it all down to recover the metal.

20. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

End of the line for the lead bullet? Regulations, bans force switch to 'green' ammo | Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/2...-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/

Could this spike copper prices in time.

Since I live in the USA there are deals on Ebay free shipping $1 per coin

If copper ever did get kinda of big Copper is Copper - pipe - wire - it's copper

If the world turned into a Mad Max situation having a ton of copper hidden some place
    should buy you a little time to survive .

You know the survivalist say a 1oz copper round will have value = $100 and a 1oz silver round = $1000
    but I think there just getting high on a dream
    After all a world in confusion, copper will be in plenty of homes to take by force - yes the victor would