MS70 Gold Panda with a Hitchhiker

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by ExchangeMan, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Recently got a slabbed NGC 1oz Gold Panda graded at MS 70 which has a "hitchhiker". Specifically there is a hair that is invisible to the naked eye but very visible under 5x magnification. Initially it looked like a crack but inspecting it further shows that is a hair going over the length of the front rim on the top left quadrant vertically. I would prefer not to open the slab myself. I'm considering getting a hold of NGC to see if they'll remedy the situation. Thoughts? :|

2. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

Certainly speak/email them but you are entitiled to send them back for an appearance review at no cost(?shipping). I suspect they reholder it minus the hitchhiker. Which year and size gold panda is this?

3. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

2014 ER 1oz so it is relatively new.

I was thinking about emailing them directly to bring up the subject.

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

They'll reslab it for you, just contact customer service.

5. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

NGC replied this morning and sent the complimentary service forms to have it reslabbed at no charge and marked as a "MECHANICAL ERROR". The only cost that needs to be covered is the sending shipping, return shipping covered by NGC. Nice. I'll post an update with the turnaround time.

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the update. Just wondering were you the original person who sent it or purchase a slabbed panda from another dealer? Thought of reslabbing some coins but Im not the original person so to say.

7. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

This coin specifically came from APMEX. I didn't send the coin in myself to NGC.

Here is the coin. It may be difficult to see from the angle but the hair is directly on the coin.

[​IMG]

8. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Sent on 2-28 via USPS from TX to FL to NGC and I see that it was signed for today on 3-3. I'll update here once I actually receive the coin back from NGC.

9. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Coin is back in my possession as of today via registered mail and was shipped out from NGC in Sarasota on the 19th. NGC reimbursed me for the shipping to them as well. Including shipping times, close to a month for complete turnaround. Coin itself was in possession by NGC for just a little over three weeks. Not bad considering the full cost was covered by NGC.