In it for Profit or Theory?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gucci, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Just wanted to know how many people buy silver/gold to make a profit and how many people are in it for "Theory" meaning you are holding for some event in the future. And why?

Guess i'll go first. I'm in it for the profit because for me it's easy to get it for low prices and flip it onto people that's "Preparing" for whatever there reason is. There are small investors and big investors. I am both small and big because I spent less than $100 dollars for more than 1000+oz. It has alot to do with my age. I'm probably the youngest person here. I started at 14 years old back when silver was under $14 dollars. I bought 5oz with my allowance. The coins eventually got boring to look at after a week I began to trade. And long story short I traded about $100 worth of silver into something big. (example below) See I wasn't born or taught anything about a dollar collapse, the world coming to an end, great depression, recession, oppression, or any story behind why I should own/hold silver. It wasn't until I started watching YouTube that I found out why you should hold on to silver pretty much until you die because of a theory that is suppose to happen in the future. I could only imagine what would happen if I was still holding the same 5oz for a from a few years ago. Holding gold and silver is cool but I see some people with no strategy to increase there silver without losing cash. Here's a personal story about some youtube channels. I watch pretty much all the silver youtube channels that yall watch. There are people over the age of 60 holding silver for this event that they believe will happen in the future. Now that's cool to do the problem is there age. There comes a certain point in time where your theory doesn't even matter because of your age. Let's say the dollar collapses in 20years. Will you even be alive & if you are it's good that you own silver to bad you forgot it's the year 2040. I'm not sure what planet your living on but it will still be business as usual in my state. School will still be own, walmart will still be open, Fedex will still be running, the only thing that will change is the amount of crap that will be broadcasted on the news about some super recession. But I don't watch the news anymore. I stick to YouTube as my media outlet. Last time I watched the news all I seen was super long food lines for some winter storm. Why the fridge was empty to begin with I'm not sure. Why people drive the cars on the interstate where the weather is bad without snow tires it's stupid to me. I've seen alot of there car pile ups on Youtube which could all be avoided if people had the right tires. Canada got that figured out which is why it's the law to have snow tires. I don't what the usa is doing now a days.

Here an example on how I started:
    1oz Eagle vs 1oz lunar horse. Let's say you buy 5 eagles and your friend buys 5 lunar horses at $14 dollars each. After a month you trade each other. Who now has made the most out of there investment? You when you trade him for the horses because his eagles will see be around $14 dollars and you with the horse will collect a higher premium which you can trade your 5 lunar horses for maybe 10 eagles to someone else because your 5 lunars is now worth 10 eagles. (I have no idea if this makes any sense assuming spot was $14 dollars the whole time. The lunars can even be panda's) Now of course I did add a few more dollars to make up the difference in any trade. Not all trades equal the same. Did I forget to mention the mining stocks was cheap & that I followed peter schiff advice and got me some shares while there ultra low. Even got into those weed company shares seeing how cartels will be here soon with all this legal crap going on.

Note: I'm an investor, not a English major! :D

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I must be missing something, I can't see how you could possibly turn $100 into 1000+ ounces of silver...

3. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

Hey Gucci,
    I dont mean to pick, i liked your initial question around stacking v investment but this post doesnt seem consistent with a few of your other posts
    If you have traded $100 in 1000oz why are you asking questions like
    Is my 2g bar real, or what would you do with $240 ?
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-48913-240-to-spend-what-whould-you-get.html
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-49008-is-this-real.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-49435-what-combination-would-you-buy-with-370-dollars.html
    Just saying it looks a bit inconsistent

4. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Gucci - excellent work......

5. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

No.

6. Bullion Stacker

Bullion Stacker Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Still young and soon realised after investing what people really invested in bullion for. I don't think it is the best investment for making profit.

7. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Twenty five years ago there was no Walmart in West Virginia.
    Will there be one there in another 25.I don't know.
    The only consistent thing is change.

For 40 years I have had one or more friends who told me "Buy gold".
    I considered all of their reasons, and declined. Those first ones have now departed this earth, the more recent ones are younger than my children, should have many years ahead.
    None of them retired at an early age due to PM.
    I do not believe that was their intention, so no foul.

Some of the reasons have remained the same, some new ones have sprouted up.
    Those new ones caught my interest, seem to have merit.
    The new ones are about insurance, and I don't buy insurance to make money, I buy insurance to prevent my family members from become poor and needy, to maintain equilibrium.
    It is that way with silver.

If I hand over a few ammo cans filled with silver to my children on the way to the old folks home it will not bother me one bit.
    If it turns out that I can sell some of my stacks and double my fiat, without risking my insurance, it will be fun.

Few of my purchases in life have been to make money, although live auctions and eBay in the 90's was a fun way to double my money with glass, cast iron, and unusual things. Those days have passed.
    I have put, and continue to put, hard earned money into mutual funds via 401k, and I am ahead of the game, but those months of putting $200 in, and losing $300 (often worse), were not enjoyable.
    I didn't sit down with a calculator to do a tally, but if I had been buying $5 silver with that money, I think I'd be further ahead especially if I had flipped some of it at a good time. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Money and wealth are capricious things. Some of us will do well, and that will validate our wise decisions. Others will not do so well, and that will demonstrate their lack of foresight.
    Most of us will end up in the middle somewhere, content with our decisions, or not.
    We are responsible with our own happiness, regardless of our decisions.

And like they say, money doesn't buy happiness.
    I buy silver for the future, but with no particular event anticipated, simply the future and whatever it may bring.

8. klacey

klacey New Member

I'm in it for so many different reasons, but mainly because I feel better knowing my money is in real assets than in the hands of banks. After watching what happened in Cyprus and the debt we have in the UK, its a matter of when not if we are hit the same way. If I control it, I feel better I will come out better than if I left money in the bank.

I'm also looking to profit from it, which is so far successful since I created an online website in the UK. Alot of work for the small profit, but hopefully it will pay off over time.

9. excalibur

excalibur Member Silver Stacker

I am in it for savings. I use disposable $$$ that would normally be spent (wasted) on junk and have replaced it with silver.
    For example, I used to play the pokies every Friday night with the missus - now that money is used to buy silver - and the resulting feeling of satisfaction is great.
    I buy less golf shirts - how many do you need? Each shirt is a couple of ounces of silver.
    Long term, i am not stacking for a doomsday scenario, I will cash out at various stages to enjoy my disciplined savings. Be that paying for one of my daughters weddings or taking my wife on a great holiday!
    There is no way I would have saved so much through regular savings - it's amazing how it adds up and you don't really miss the fiat.
    Plus silver is pretty!!
    Sorry to ramble but I am in it for savings.Any profit would be a bonus.

10. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Page 2 scroll down : http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...on-would-you-buy-with-370-dollars-page-2.html

Yes, it was my first time ever seeing a 2 gram coin & no I have never tested any of my silver or gold. I know the magnet test but I keep my coins air tight from the mints so I don't even know how to spot fakes. & also I asked the question what combination would you buy for $370 to see between which coins did the people think would make the bigger profit. Of course $370 dollars wasn't actually the goal but if I would've said $40,000 dollars I would get answers other than the options. Like Gold, Gold & maybe More Gold. Or either junk silver, and mixed combination of things. Also I was new member :D

11. Gucci

Gucci New Member

I see. Here's another explation:

#1: On Jan 1st 2014 you bought 5 (1oz) eagles at around $22 dollars. Now if you anything about lunar you know the premium will go up after it's sold out. So you trade 5 eagles for 3 lunar (1oz) horses which would both me close to the same price. Now for the person you are giving 5 eagles to for only 3 lunar sould like an awesome deal. In fact they think they have profited $40 dollars because they now have 5oz of silver you have 3oz. Now skip to today your 3 lunars are worth $52 dollars each. While the person you traded eagles are still at $24 dollars each. Now you could trade someone for more eagles maybe 7-8 eagles for your 3 lunars or you could sell them and by something different. Or you could keep holding them because there going to go up to $100oz overtime in just premium price. Same Principe with the ATB coins. Now of course the more silver you own the faster you can trade or sell. The process is slow when you first start.

Now here is the same example but with more oz.

#2: Instead of 5 (1oz eagles you have 100 (1oz) eagles). You trade for only 80 lunar horses. Again the person you traded thinks they just collected $400 dollars (assuming the eagles where $20 each). Skip to today each of your lunars are worth $52 dollars each you profit is: $4160. His total profit is $2500. Where did I get these numbers?

Today 100 eagles is $25 each (rounding)
    Today 80 lunar is $52 each (rounding)

Jan. 100 Eagles where around $22 dollars
    Jan. 100 Lunars where around $22-$24 (Bulk price)

So you see the gains in profit. Yes both of you profited but one more than the other. No one lost any thing unless of course the lunar price never increase then you would lose. This is why when you see me post pics of my order I buy alot of the same thing and nothing else. IT's all for the profit short or long term. Just think when the 2014 ATB coins come out. If you buy 5 (5oz) ATB at $100 dollars and I offered you 25 eagles which is $625 dollars ($25 each) would you take it? Your profit would be a gain of $125 dollars. Now if you were smart you would trade and rebuy the ATB's.

But anyways this is just an example of how I traded without actually spending money. Just look back at all the coins that you know you should have gotten where the price is way more than they were sold for.

12. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Awesome! As long as your aren't saving for an event then it's a good deal. People who save for events could be saving until they die if the event never happens. I know lots of people that are stacking for strange reasons. I call them collectors rather than investors. :)

13. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

Hey Gucci,
    If you have turned even $1000 (allowing for postage and other costs along the way) into ~$20k+ in 6 years, you are doing fantastically well.
    Good luck to you, I know its very difficult to do, hence the skepticism / comments.

For the record, I'm in it for the investment potential, not the "insurance"

14. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think hard assets is the way to think. I honestly dont think premiums mean a dame thing in the long term. Spot is the only calculation that I believe you can trust. Up to this point I have never made a dollar on either metal and just work on spot as there is a good chance in the future that is what you will get. Premiums only seem to matter in the initial purchase after that it appears to be every man for himself. The only deviation from this is of course numis. where collectors with a must have mentality who pay the premium to own or finish a collection eg. zags.
    Just try and get a big premium on here for a proof coin 80% will look at it as an ounce of silver but a few may want it badly enough to pay a higher price.eg redback or the SAS proof numbered round in the special box 1000.00. No to buy low sit and sell at a higher price as spot rises for whatever reason is the aim.Not I believe wait for spot to rise then try to get the initial premium on top!!! Wont happen except in maybe numis. cases. I have watched on here people trying to sell numis. for a couple of years, just does not happen much. Price reduced, Price reduced.!!!!! You want out tomorrow because of emergency or any reason SPOT is the only figure that matters. Calculating a stack in anything other than spot makes no sense in my mind. Just hope spot rises and then everyone feels better.

15. the optimist

the optimist New Member

I'm in it coz I'm hoping my stack is gona make me rich simple as that !

16. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I'm in in for many reasons now none of which are doomsday or a target future event. I agree with you that such planning is faulty. For me it started as a way to hedge other investments and diversify. Yeah I don't expect to make a killing off of silver or gold but I doubt I will take much of a hit over the years either. It is changing for me from my own retirement to passing wealth down to any possible next generation (currently don't have kids but that could change at some point the wife is several years younger than me). My greatgrandmother was a hoarder of many things some treasure some trash. When i was a kid and we had to put her in a home we had to clean out her house. She had a bunch of silver coins rolled up, Morgan dollars to pre-64 dimes and everything in between. That few hundred dollars face value is now worth a lot of money just in spot price. I'd like to pass silver like that on as well (only in fine not junk... plus Granny's junk silver lol). Like a lot of people here I used to spend money on silly stuff. I would eat out for every meal with the Mrs. It isn't good for my wallet and it isn't good for my waist line either (plus i have to take an annual agility test every year to keep my job in the department). We eat out rarely, we feel better, we are both getting a little more trim and we are doing better in the gym. Now those few hundred extra dollars go to paying down debt, and buying silver, gold and other cool things. Heck even bought some land in New Mexico for future use.

As for your method to flip silver for more silver; seems like a good plan. It looks like you are taking advantage of numismatic bullion to get the most out of your silver. I'm not sure I want to work that hard for something that is just fun at this point but I'm very glad you are doing well with it. It reminds me of a story I read about a kid who traded on Craigs list. He started with an old cell phone and he kept trading up until he ended up owning a ranch somewhere!?! Kinda cool I guess.

Cheers,
    Chris

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most people stack for a couple of reasons, I think this is because most people need a few good reasons before they bother to do anything.

I have my junk silver because it was below spot and if everything does go horribly wrong then it could be used to make purchases, if everything doesn't go wrong I can sell it to people who think everything is going to go horribly wrong.

I have my seminumismatics, i.e. anything currently being produced which the mints have decided to make in limited numbers, coloured/proof/gilded/high relief rubbish that fits into a collecting interest of mine and the 1oz Lunar Bullion. This is for personal gratification.

I have my actual numismatics which may well increase in value whatever the silver spot price is doing, probably the main investment when it comes to PMs.

I have my bullion bars which is my store of wealth which can't be electronically stolen by the government or spent on rubbish.

I have my bullion coins and rounds which might go up in value depending on how popular they are.

I have my unallocated which is in my Self Managed Super Fund and will hopefully allow me to perfrom GSR swaps when the time comes.

I also have other investments which actually make me money, they are in no way PM related and arenot nearly as interesting.

18. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I read about this guy, and decided to run the kind of experiment. Recorded every transaction, buying the 1st coin a year ago (Feb 27th, 2013) with this kind of purpose, and did it for 1 year ... So, today is Feb 19th, and time to draw a deadline.

I bought the 1 st coin for $75 (2 oz), traded proceeds, and today I've got $1k in cash + 27 oz of numismatics
    so this plan works )))

19. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One Red Paperclip.... http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com.au/

20. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Okay, I think I have most of this figured out.
    You find people to trade with, that do not know how much silver is worth.
    Like this example, you trade $156 worth of lunars, for $168 to $192 worth of ASE.
    It seems to me it would be better to trade for 10 ASE, but......

Anyway, you just find people who are willing to lose money on a trade or deal, compared to market value, and you can trade up.

The part I don't have figured out is where you find these willing participants.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get 80 - $52 lunars for only $24 each by buying only 20 more. I would think anyone selling 100 lunars would know their value is much closer to $52 than $24.

Hey, as long as the system is working of you, keep at it.
    We don't expect you to give away all of your secrets.
    Your allowance money is being well spent, no disagreement there.