Scarcity of 2oz 2008 Year of the Mouse Series 2?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by ExchangeMan, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Seems like some of the Mouse S2 coins are on the path to clearly being the defacto prized coins of the entire series. I have seen threads on forums on the internet where collectors are ardently appealing to get help finding the scarce 2 oz, 5 oz, 1/2 kilo, and 10 kilo bullion coins.

The rare 1 kilo proof S2 Mouse is actually the coin I would love to own. Too bad that in 2008 I had no clue as to the value of precious metals coins. Would I have, it is the very low mintage 2008 proof coins that I would have purchased. Now, the only 2008 coins of this series that I can afford is the 1 oz silver bullion version which surprisingly, is right now still reasonably priced.

Anyone here selling a 1 kilo proof S2 Mouse for a really good price?

2. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt New Member

3. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

4. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt New Member

sorry, mate thought the price was to good to be true, I realized as I looked a bit further down the ebay listings.

5. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

What do you think the fair price of this coin is, given they seem to be almost impossible to find (someone must be sitting on a bunch of them, because they seem more scarce/expensive than a 9,000 mintage would suggest)?

It's going to remain the key coin in the series, so unless someone decides to sell a whole bunch at the same time, I can't see the price getting lower in future (since it's already well and truly divorced from spot silver). I agree that almost $700 is a bit ridiculous but I wonder if the fair price is still not that much lower.

PS. A lot of the German listings you see come up on Ebay for this are a bit deceptive. They don't mention anywhere in the listing that it's actually the COLOURED version, and they create the listing with a picture only showing the observe side of the coin (Queen's head side). Scroll down a bit and you'll see that the front side is the colourised version. Still a rare coin, but not what the OP is looking for in this case. The plain BU ones are genuinely quite hard to find. Here's one that appears to be genuine, and went for a good price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNAR-2-OZ-...3308053?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4acc307695

A good buy there, I'd say.

6. Mr.  Ed

Mr. Ed New Member

I would say that was a good deal and if I had seen it I would have paid that and not thought twice about it. I still say this set is going to be a keeper if you have the Mouse. I had the 2 ounce colorized version untill I found the silver version. I then sold my 2 ounce colorized version for 85.00 after paying 80.00 for it. I saw several of the 2 ounce colorized on the bay and like you said. They show the queen side and you think you have a keeper untill you scroll down. They also want way too much money for them but folks building the set need a Mouse to fill the hole. Just sayin.

Mr Ed

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Have seen about 10 of these coins at the World Money Fair in Berlin today. Cheapest 355, most expensive 400. No-one is willing to move on price. That puts them in the $540-$610 AUD range.

Was hoping to find 5-10 at a good price to bring back, but it's not going to happen.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

These dealers must know that this price range is the right range.

I remember when I first got my consciousness about stacking at the end of 2012, I was hearing and reading quite a few bullion silver stackers belittling as a bad investment the "animal" coins like the Lunar series and instead claiming that the only good silver to buy is blobs (non-denom bars) and junk silver.

Goes to show how in every group or community, there are people who are just clueless.