Scarcity of 2oz 2008 Year of the Mouse Series 2?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by ExchangeMan, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Relatively new to silver stacking in general (just over a month) and really trying to get the PM Lunar SII together. I can find the 2009 Year of the Ox 2oz-current 2014 Year of the Horse coins but none of the 2008 Year of the Mouse coins anywhere. Hours of scouring on the Internet don't yield results except for maybe the less than appreciated new six and seven coin proof sets such as at Downies. How often has the 2008 2oz been spotted in the secondary markets? I have alerts set up in locations such as APMEX and see that the last selling price there was $330USD. I've found a colorized version on EBay but that is not the preference nor are the proof sets. I can't see myself getting a proof and non matching coin for $720USD.

May be a little long winded and very specific, but in short has anyone seen the PM Lunar Series 2 2008 2oz Year of the Mouse coins in the secondary market or anywhere for that matter? My Google-fu may just be weak. Thanks! :)

2. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

3. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Wow. That one coin KJC wants for almost the same price as the 1 Kilo bar that I got recently....depends on how badly someone wants a product. Thanks, Kam-L!

Either way, keeping it bookmarked in case I pull the trigger next month. Crazy.

4. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

5. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

2 oz mice with mintage of 9100+

6. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Yeah the numbers I'm finding are a mintage of 9,126 coins from a couple of locations for the 2oz Mouse/Rat. Of course the first year of series 2 would be the lowest mintage. These are the other numbers I'm finding for 2oz. Seems like everyone likes the dragons - I see more of the tigers than dragons and there are almost twice as many of the latter.

Series II

Year.....Mintage.......Animal

2008.....9,126........Mouse

2009....18,570.........Ox

2010....63,005.........Tiger

2011....99,494.........Rabbit

2012....118,738.........Dragon

2013....55,933.........Snake

7. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The mintage is low for 2 OZ lunar Perth Mints.

However, the number of collector also low.

This means low demand low supply and slow appreciation or even hard to find buyer.

8. Mr.  Ed

Mr. Ed New Member

I think there are more collectors of these coins than you realize. I just completed 2 oz. series 1 and I am sure it would sell if need be.

Mr Ed

9. Mr.  Ed

Mr. Ed New Member

I agree CC
    I looked for a long time to find a good deal on the Mouse and had I not found it I would have bailed on the 2 ounce set.

Mr Ed

10. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Thanks to a member on here with some decent pricing, I now have all of the 2oz set except the 2008 Mouse. Some of the links listed here show some of the almost exorbitant pricing. Sure there are plenty of other coins with some high premiums but they're usually a lot older or graded.

11. Mr.  Ed

Mr. Ed New Member

From the prices I found while looking for mine I would say anything under 500.00 would be a deal. I know that sounds crazy but just look at what they are selling for. You would have to want the set pretty bad though to pay that.

Mr Ed

12. Mr.  Ed

Mr. Ed New Member

Be that as it may, When the dust clears and the last coin in series 2 has been released, This set is going to be a money maker IF you have the Mouse to complete it. I would spend the money to buy another one if the price was right.

Mr Ed

13. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

I'm not really sure if the set is going to be a money maker if most people are hunting for the Mouse. I own 2 sets at the moment and thinking whether to complete the set to sell or sell the Mouse first if there's an offer that is too good to turn down.

14. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

major dealer from lets say Germany may ask Perth Mint to make 10000 more mice and P.mint may fulfill the wish ...
    the total mintage for the coin was declared 40k. So one can presume that what was not sold can be minted and sold any day in the future ... P.mint has been there and done that already

everywhere one looks there's total mintage number of 40k, and sold number of 3k (or about, don't remember exactly) ... so, keep this in mind

15. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

I'm also looking for 2 oz Mouse Series II ... only one missing from my set too. I've been looking for years, unsuccessfully.

I once thought I got close to getting one via trading on here but the seller went AWOL with it before I could close the deal, grr.

I'm willing to pay a good price for this coin if anyone wants to sell. Not KJC-ridiculously-overpriced rates, but a good fair price. Please contact me if you want to sell (Australian or US sellers only)!

16. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

Wrong there WB 2008 2oz Bu mouse originally had an unlimited mintage target, Perth mint declared the mintage at 9126

Declared Mintage
    Is the final production figure for a coin that has been closed-off before its Maximum Mintage is reached; or the final production figure for a Mint-to-Order coin or an Unlimited Mintage coin.

Not saying you are wrong about German dealer requesting more coins to be minted but the s--t would surely hit the fan if they Perth mint did that after declaring mintage finished.

17. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+100

Not willing to pay $$$$$ on the mice :/ thus decided to sell my other 2ozers.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

2oz mouse cannot be reminted. Period.

1kg mouse can be reminted.

19. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

history tells us that P.Mint didn't know what remint was until it decided to do so.
    can anyone show me P.Mint declaration not to remint other coins?
    If not then it is speculation.

20. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

What I do know is that once a declared mintage amount is made, no more reminting. Now I understand they could have only minted 10,000 up to that point, and yet made a declaration of 20,000 for declared amount, so technically they can still mint up to 10,000, correct? All smoke and mirrors.