2014 5 oz Bullion ATBs

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by colu41, Jan 26, 2014.

1. colu41

colu41 New Member

Google is not helping me at all today. Does anyone know of any release dates for the 2014 Bullion ATB 5 oz coins? And or the P versions? Ive recently got really intothese and I would like to catch them as they are released instead of paying a premium in the secondary market..

2. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

Tomorrow -bw

3. db23

db23 Member

That is for the actual quarters, not the 5oz silver coins.

Mint website still lists...

-------------------On-Sale Dates and Prices To Be Determined------------------------
    2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Great Smoky Mountains National Park (TN)
    2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Shenandoah National Park (VA)
    2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Arches National Park (UT)
    2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Great Sand Dunes National Park (CO)
    2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Everglades National Park (FL)

4. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

If you are interested in the P versions, you might want to go to the mint site and check out the subscription plan. They were offering 10% off on the 5 oz P version ATBs for this year as they are released. That puts them at just under $140 each, not bad when the bullion versions go for around $125. I signed up.

5. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

Hellcat6 is absolutely right. Do the subscription if you want the P versions starting this year. A great deal. Also you can subscribe to more than one if you want to flip.

db23 is also correct, no dates for any 5 oz version have been announced. Remember last year it was May 16th before the 1st 2013 5 oz was released.

6. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

7. colu41

colu41 New Member

Alright. Thanks guys. Ill look into that subscription. Is there a fee? And im guessing for whatever coin you sign up for needs to be pre ordered?
    The Everglades & Shenandoah are pretty awesome btw!

8. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I just started the subscription and only for the ATBs so I am not expert but there is no fee associated with joining. I believe that you get an email when the first one becomes available and verify that you want one and you can quit it at any time.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

No fee for subscription...perhaps they are trying to encourage people to buy by subscription because it's easier to manage than random purchases, especially when a flurry of lots of the same item are purchased at once. At such a time they get unexpectedly back-logged I believe.

I would bet that more than a handfull of collectors got caught out last year not purchasing one or more of the 5 oz ATB's before they were sold out at the US Mint in record time. This subscription service should be jumped on by these collectors.

10. Sully

Sully Member

This wave of enthusiasm and encouragement to sign up for a subscription is ticking off those of us who do not live in the U.S.
    Subscriptions can only be made if you have a domestic address (U.S. only).

11. db23

db23 Member

I didn't realize the subscription was US only, I know the international shipping rates make it less attractive for international orders though.

I did add a couple subs to my order for a friend in Canada, but I think it's just because shipping costs were less attractive.

12. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Sorry Sully, no intention to add to any frustration, I know you are a big fan of the ATBs. :(

13. Sully

Sully Member

;) that's ok Hellcat. I'm just a teensy bit envious of you collectors of the ATB's who actually live in the states!
    coin reserved for you....low shipping rates....(sigh)....10% discount....(sigh)....no import tax....(eyes misting up now)

But, on a serious note, my worry is that there may be such a large uptake now on the ATB's (and interest/awareness has been growing quickly) that i may lose out on one of this years issues. 25,000 mintage (often well below that too) is really very low if you consider the daily sales the mint CAN achieve when they release a popular and anticipated coin.
    All the subscriptions are guaranteed delivery, not so those of us who can't subscribe. Subscription reserves the coin for you.
    Which is sad, and a bit unfair. I supported this series from the start, even when they weren't popular in the U.S. during 2011 & 2012..... yet i'm not allowed to subscribe and reserve one.
    The last coin of 2013 had (i think, but not certain on this) first week sales of over half the mintage, and there wasn't even the subscription incentive then.
    I'll just have to get the order in on the first day of each release in 2014 and hope for the best.

14. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It does seem unfair Sully, you are right. ...I never thought about how those outside the US might be affected. In addition, you have (much) higher shipping costs and import tax...oy vey...it's enough to make me realize how lucky I am being someone who really likes this series...living in the US.

Do you know anyone in the US who can place US Mint orders for you?

15. lostwords

lostwords New Member

What's the difference between the version?

16. db23

db23 Member

Bullion version is just that Bullion. P Version has a special finish on it to make it look nicer.

Bullion version is distributed by the mint's Authorized Purchasers and the P version is distributed by the mint directly to the retail customer, though some APs have been known to buy tons of them and submit for grading.

The P version is made so much cheaper by this discount that it's worth getting over the bullion version. What I can see happening is a lot of people thinking that same thing and seeing the bullion version finish with lower than expected mintages.

17. db23

db23 Member

It is a very very rare occurrence where someone in Europe is envious of someone in the US because of access to sought after coins. I would say that 90% or greater of the popular modern numismatic releases come from Europe and usually the only way people outside of Europe have access to them is to get gouged by the German & Polish sellers on Feebay.

I do believe that you could be on to something with faster sellouts due to these subscriptions. I've personally bought 0 of the previous releases and am signed up for 10 of each of these P series coins for 2014. I've gotta imagine that others have done the same. Then there's always the 1000s that the big dealers will buy to grade...

It's hard to call this subscription unfair when other mints do the same thing - or even worse. Most RCM subscriptions are only available to Canadians, not that anyone else would want that crap anyway. :lol:
    Look at the carded stock horse, was only available to Australians. The RCM Superman coins were only available to people in CA and US. Now these were both instances where they were ONLY available to the mentioned locations, at least the US mint will make the coins available to all on official release.
    Look at the HR Wedge Tailed Eagle Perth just put out, was only available at 1 US dealer that sent them all in for grading, but everyone else around the world could have bought from their regular dealer instead of being forced to deal with a low quality dealer they have no interest in? The coin industry is filled with unfair.

If you ask me, I wish that other world mints could be as fair as the US mint to all of it's customers. It's not often I say something nice about the US Mint either! :cool:

18. Sully

Sully Member

Actually, i realised this could all work out for everyone in the end.
    With a renewed surge of interest in the ATB's, when the mint count all the pre-orders on their books they'll simply opt to mint lots more. They can do whatever they choose with mintages..... can't they? We've seen that before.
    Here's to no more shortage of them from 2014 onwards, aren't we all agreed on that? Hooray. Both the mint and the secondary market will have bucket loads available.
    As a collector who just wants them because i admire them as a really lovely series of coins, from the start, this would be a welcome turn of events after all.

:(..... :|..... :)..... :D..... :lol:

19. db23

db23 Member

I'd bet that there is a 0% chance they raise the mintage on the P coins. Bullion would be anybody's guess, but after the 100K+ mintages of 2011 and many distributors still having hundreds in stock , I'd bet not.

Even if they did, comparing these numbers to Silver Eagles makes both versions of ATBs a WAY better investment IMO.

20. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I just subscribed and I live in Canada.