hello im the new guy :)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by mugen-mint757, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

hello all,
    im drew and pretty new to silver collecting. it all started exactly a month ago. it was Christmas eve and my brother was in town for the holidays and showed me his collection. he has been doing it for a few years and i heard him talk about it multiple times just never seen anything. after a few drinks the subject came up and he pulled out his small safe box and pulled out a 5oz figi taku. at that moment i was hooked. i then went threw everything he had with him and was in total amazement of the detail these kookaburras, pandas, koalas etc had in them. then he explained how to him this is a small hobby/investment and told me i should try it out. i thought about it and researched the next couple of days (mostly from this site) and discussed and explained it to the boss(wife) about how i thought this would be a cool thing to do plus its a INVESTMENT and after her approval it was game time. i made the mistake of letting my temptations get the best of me and ran to the closest coin shop and made my first silver purchase. a 2014 1oz koala and kookabura @33 dollars a piece. later that night i got on ebay and very quickly noticed i had been takin advantage of seeing these coins were going for 26-27 bucks shipped. from that moment on i knew i would NEVER return there as i explained to the owner on how i was new to all this and was looking for good solid advice on how to buy/sell,what spot was,the market etc. being very discouraged my next few purchases were from ebay and i feel i get the pretty good deals just lose alot of bids due to people who will pay the 30+ bucks for the coins im after. i have now found a reputable shop/dealer in my area and have been going there since. anyway thats my story why im here and hope to receive good advice, learn more and meet others who have the same passion as i do!:)

2. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

WelcomeI think you may find this sites a better place to pick up some metals.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi and welcome. Time to start your own collection. :)

4. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

thank you Load of Bullion. im hesitant on where i buy stuff online due to me getting scammed a few times on car parts on forums. is there a vouch list up here for people that are good and honest?

5. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

TY Altima. so far im 27 coins in and about 30oz in bars. coins are for the collection the bars are the investment. lol

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

7. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

thanks Greg! that has a lot of useful info.

8. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

Hi and welcome. Might be worth not writing off your local coin dealer, they have overheads that ebay dealers dont and they also are less likely to be fakes. That said you have access to some big online dealers in the states that should be able to give you better deals then ebay. Enjoy stacking.

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Fond memories of Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown. My favourite State.

Welcome.

SJ

10. fields

fields Member

Welcome, new guy ... from another new guy good luck

11. funman1

funman1 New Member

Welcome!!!

12. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

Old Codger i was just in jamestown yesterday and visited williamsburg coins and stamps. did you use to live here?

oz copper thanks i thought it was a pretty good intro. lol

13. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

bja the place i currently go too is a lot closer and more of a bullion dealer compared to the coin shop that i originally visited. there's a huge coin show coming up the end of February so im pretty excited as it will be my first one!!!

14. klacey

klacey New Member

Welcome mate and yeah great intro. I would get on friendly terms with your local coin dealer, you never know when you might need to sell. You could even get a deal every now and then. Ebay is full of fakes, so keep an eye on the feedback from others. Good luck with your stack and enjoy this rollercoaser we are all on. :)

15. funman1

funman1 New Member

Yeah, ebay is like SCAM heaven for silver fakes!!
    I would buy from reputability sites.
    Me personally I have bought from JMBullion.com and Providentmetals.com
    I like them both.
    JM has AWESOME prices and free shipping.
    Provident has awesome selection but you have to pay for shipping.

16. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

mm757,

" did you use to live here?"

No, we went for a bit of a drive in '04 from LAX via I-10 to the east coast, down to Key West, back up to NYC via I-95 I think it was, and flew to OR and then back down to LAX. Being a history nut we squeezed in every possible historic site in 59 nights. Like much of the USA, Virginia is VERY beautiful, and "the natives are friendly".

Looking forward to the next one, but a bit concerned about the way things are going and may have to stay home. The boss wants to go to the Isle of Man to see her sacred sites too.

The USA is too bloody cold in winter . not too keen on shovelling 15' of snow. Key West is about as far north as I want to be.

OC

17. mugen-mint757

mugen-mint757 New Member

thats one awesome vacation!!! VA definitely has its good and bad things weather as you said is one of them. Jamestown is probably the better if not the best place to visit in my opinion when family or friends come to town.

18. 2Addicted2Ag

2Addicted2Ag Member

Hi and welcome..