Canadian Venetian glass coin is coming out

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by kingofwale, Mar 12, 2013.

1. silverbar

silverbar New Member

Eurocollections has the butterfly coin for sale - $199 + shipping.

Now sold out.

2. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

Bugger...missed it :(

Thanks for the heads up anyway

3. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Not much love here for the glass coins???

4. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Pffftttt---Tons of love everywhere else---sold last one for $300 :D

5. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

I don't like the coin so much but I asked to my usual coin suppliers (I don't want to buy on ebay at crazy price from privates, I wanna buy from a trusted company).
    So far everybody said that the mint provided a very low quantity that was sold out already.
    So which dealer have got most of the allocation?
    I think that RCM is applying a very bad policy not to spread this coin as much as possible worldwide, to make it easier to get it, so most of the dealers will skip this coin, and most of the collectors would not be able to buy at a reasonable price so will skip this coin as well.

Then I expect RCM to come out with 4 similar coins per year like they did with snowflakes and the series will be definitely R.I.P.

Just my opinion.

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Given the fact that you havent even done 1 deal in the year you have been here, not sure now much weight your opinion carries. People were lined up 100 deep outside of the mint shops to get one. Ill be just fine with the ones I have. :)

Added to which, these are all handmade, not mass produced, every one is unique. You may want to do your research before trashing something you couldnt get. Although I will agree that the RCM is treading dangerously close to Perth territory--time will tell.

7. kingofwale

kingofwale New Member

RCM doesn't need to spread this coin around oversea. there are enough population in NA. ;)

8. silverbar

silverbar New Member

A lot of Asian dealers sold out their allocation in a day. Many European dealers will be selling the butterfly on their websites, but not at issue price. For those who don't like this series, you really have to see a coin in person to appreciate the intricacies of the glass insects and the artwork of the flowers.

9. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Justfishin, I don't know what you mean that I haven't done a deal in the year. I am a new collector and I read the forum to know about new numismatic issues, to get some hints where to buy at best prices, to share coins that I think have a great potential, like (for example) I did last year with Tiffany Art 2012 coin that now is sold 5 times issue price. This is the real deal for me.

About RCM Butterfly, with a mintage of 10,000 pcs I would have expected a more fair allocation for worldwide collectors, I don't live in Canada to stay in line for hours at post offices or something, and I would like to be able to buy at reasonable price from any dealer I trust. As simple as that. Instead (according to dealers I have spoken with) the mint simply said: "sorry, not quantity allocable for overseas distributors" that in my mind sounds like "thank you for contributing in the success of make this series popular with Ladybug and Bee, now it is our business to make most of the profit and you are out".

So, if I can't buy from any big distributor I trust, I will simply skip the series. Participating in ebay auctions only makes me stressed ;)

Alex.

10. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

You might skip the series, others might skip the series, but the series is still HOT and will sell out every time, and that's all the RCM care about at the end of the day :)

11. silverbar

silverbar New Member

Not every coin dealer will get the butterfly coin. RCM allocates the number of "hot" coins according to yearly sales and the dealer has to buy a wide array of coins including crappy ones. The butterfly was sold all over the world. If you are looking to buy this coin under $200, then forget about it. Downies will definitely carry this series. They sold the ladybug near issue price.

12. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Well, I have seen so many "HOT" series from The Perth Mint selling out quickly, reaching high prices, and bubble last until all buyers that got the coins only to flip on ebay, flooded the market to make profit. These hot series nowadays are selling under issue price, can make dozens of examples.
    I think that a series is hot and stay hot (or at least "warm") if many collectors are able to buy the coin, and keep high the interest in new issues to have the series complete.
    When the coin is in the hand of few (most distributors didn't get this coin from mint, most collectors are disappointed too), and is bought at high prices by investors (not collectors) only hoping that price will rise even more.... sooner or later all this hype will fall like a meteorite and burn into the air.
    And I am tired to read that LadyBug is selling for $1000. And so, also "Red Back Spider" is selling for same amount, but for how much last coins issued are selling? Too much speculation destroy the series.

Just my simple "zero trades member" opinion.
    Alex.

13. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Well, one thing good about this series is that the mint so far only release one a year. I had to stand in line for over an hour to get one of these but it worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

Does anybody know how the 2014 coin will look like? I'm very curious about that..
    I find these coins fantastic, very detailed..

but hope they will only mint for a few years, to keep the value high.

15. silverfever

silverfever New Member

It's supposed to be a 3 coin series. No 2014 coin.

16. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Who gave you this information silverfever? I hoped there was another coin in 2014 :(

17. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Unfortunately, I can't recall where I read it.

18. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

that would be a pitty, i hope you are wrong, i can't find anything on the internet about a release or not, so i curious where you read it?

19. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I'll wait 4 months and buy 3 stock horses

20. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Here a image of the new coin. :D

[​IMG]