Best software for cataloguing world coins?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by mythar, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mythar

mythar Active Member Silver Stacker

From nowhere my collection of a few coins has grown to several thousand and I'd like to keep track of what I have, where its stored, and things like value, condition, size/weight etc.
    I collect silver and gold coins from across the world and Australia, mostly moderns, but some coins date back to 1800s so I would need software with a pretty extensive database.
    Does anyone have any recommendations? :)

Matt

2. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Relative new to collecting and nowhere near the multiple thousands mark. Check out Numis Professional. Database allows for your own input for where its stored, value, condition, size/weight and your own fields in a relatively easy to use GUI. Browsed a few pieces of software and even tried just Excel before going with Numis.

http://www.numisprofessional.com/NumisProfessional.aspx

3. mythar

mythar Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for that. I will check it out. Seems to be a bit US biased, but I suppose that's what you can expect.

4. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

Try before you buy and whatnot. :D I guess I would be a little biased with US coins with myself being from the US. It does have a world coins section which has quite a few entries - you're not restricted to what's in the database though and can simply add your own entries with specifications with the plus sign to the right of the name of Year, Mint Mark section.

[​IMG]

5. Fjpod

Fjpod Member

I checked out the website and can't tell if it includes US Mint and Proof sets...and commemoratives. I may do the 30 day trial.

6. ExchangeMan

ExchangeMan New Member

It does but in the end it's just a value in the database. If you're so inclined, you can add corrected entries to sort and categorize the coins you have instead of going with what entries are already in the database - done that with quite a few graded silver eagles. I've added quite a few world coins and bars that weren't in the database already which is pretty simple to do once you do one or two additions. Didn't hurt to try it out.