Documentary: Death by China, "How everything is nearly made in china"

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Slam, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi All,

A lengthy and interesting documentary on the majority of widgets we have being made from China. Alot of western manufacturing just can't compete, are we seeing something similar in Australia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqxtFOCnnY

I am still watching it, hopefully will post up some comments later when I finish it.

Slam

2. Byron

Byron Guest

Like others, i try and boycott Chinese made goods (and food products) wherever possible, but finding an alternative can be very hard sometimes. Don't care if it costs me more.

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I only boycott chinese foods . Theres a lot of good quality goods coming from china for a fair price .
    The same thing was said about japan a few decades ago now they are known for quality product
    Some of the chinese stuff is excellent quality .the stigma has come from tightarses importing the cheap & nasty crap for maximum profit ...There will always be capitalist pigs profiteering to make a buck & retire early.

Lets be realistic if you can buy a dozen containers of goods in a year & flog them for maximum profit & make the same money as you would in 10 years of working...who wouldnt .

Disclaimer...I am a capitalist pig :lol:

4. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

This is why the U.S no like Mr Chinesey man!

We wer warned about 'offshoring' 10 years ago......Now that 10 years is here and its happening Right NOW!

Learn to survive anyway possible!

p.s VW (German car manufacturer) are getting DSG transmissions made in...........China...........Its all over!

5. renovator

I think the us like the chinese money flowing into the country just like oz its a constant stream of funds flowing into the economy from foreign investment

6. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Went through a good chunk of the documentary. The documentary seems to be protraying a very negative image on China. Literally bashing them over every point.

We live in a capitalist society, if you don't like the goods just don't buy it. I'm wondering what the real propaganda is behind these documentaries? To brainwash the american's and point the finger at the chinese when SHTF?

Slam

7. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I'm 20 minutes and I feel sick.........Look at how they treat they're workers.......DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and look at the pollution all just to keep a competitive edge.........JUST WRONG!!!!!!!!

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

The title gave that away didn't it? ;)

9. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

As explained in the doco ther isn't any other options in some cases because so so much is made ther now........The computers and phones and gadgets are all designed in U.S but the factories to make them are in China paying people peanuts in horrible working conditions up to 12 -16 hrs a day!

10. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Economic swings and roundabouts.

When i was young i remember that everything was made in Japan. Then i noticed that they were made in Taiwan.
    Now they are made in China.

There will be a point in time, i'd suggest not for quite a while though, that goods will be made in the next country to keep their currency low and pay their workers next to nothing. I'm starting to see more clothing items made in Vietnam and Bangladesh. Fingers crossed other countries will get some more action.

11. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Propaganda a good 80% of it

12. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

Am I the only person who finds joy in this ?

--- Moves factory to china then whinges they cant buy a American made microwave ---
    --- Destroys worlds economy with virus like banking sector whinges that China manipulates currency ---

Hopefully America are learning a lesson

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

look at the living standards of those 'legacy' industrial countries. They now have long life expectancy, wealthy lifestyles, high education and diversified, high-tech economies.

Meanwhile in the west, life expectancy & wealth is declining along with education levels & narrowing resource dependant economies.

14. renovator

Thailand has a chunk of vehicle manufacturing & assembly & building materials manufacture .India also has a lot of manufacturing I think the other asian countries will take a slice of chinas pie like vietnam phillipines etc as soon as they can up the quality standard to an acceptable level .So its not all about china taking over the world. It definately is asias time in the sun.

Until the west can compete (which i think is highly unlikely because of the rules ,regs,& safety BS ) asia will be the manufacturing hub for decades to come

15. Naphthalene Man

Look for reports that now recommend washing clothes before use as they are covered in formaldehyde, or reports that state the heavy metal contamination across China - including those areas that are used for food production.
    In the production of cheaper goods something must give. More often than not it is either the environment or the workers health and safety and/or pay.

Cheaper goods just mean that someone is paying the cost somewhere.

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

So you think it is o.k for these multi national corps to sack U.S workers, move factories to China, pay Chinese workers very little with very poor working conditions while polluting the country way beyond anything else I have ever seen.

As been mentioned on another thread they're growing loads of fish is disgusting farms and feeding them with hormones.

17. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

/insert some other country complaining about the illegal billions and billions dollar farming subsidies that US does

18. renovator

yes ...i dont eat fish from supermarkets or restaurants so i couldnt give a crap about what they feed them or how they do it ....

19. Naphthalene Man

I'm not sure how that is any different from the many schemes that the various countries undertake to protect their businesses.
    Schemes such as farm subsidies (not just USA), import duties, quarantine regulations (although i agree with these ones).

The purchase of low costs goods simply passes on the cost to someone.

The (insert environmental/health/safety/working condition here) cost is predominately passed to those who can least afford it.
    I hope that consumers vote with their dollars and refuse to buy $2 crap just because it is cheap (and ultimately disposable because it won't last as long).

Google
    "The story of stuff"

20. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Pun intended? :D