silver lost in the mail, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by konsole, Jan 13, 2014.

1. konsole

konsole New Member

I made a silver trade with someone on another forum, maybe he'll read this but I hope not. The trade was his 90% coins for my bars and rounds, and the trade was valued at about $1,000. I originally recommended using Registered Mail with the post office, but he recommended just getting insurance and I agreed. Unfortunately we later find out, and some of you will know that just insurance doesnt cover what we were shipping. Its only Registered Mail, which I originally recommended, that will cover the package. So what he sent to me got to me just fine, but what I sent him seems to be missing. Apparently the mail carrier attempted a deliver on January 2nd, which the other guy got this first notice because he wasnt home. However the mail carrier claimed to leave a second notice on January 3rd, but the other guy said he didnt receive the second notice. This was all right around the time of a large snow storm where he lives so I'm not sure how much added time we should give for that. So he went to his local post office and now they cant find the package. So this is going on about 1.5 weeks since the second notice was "allegedly" left. I went to my local post office and based on the latest tracking they said that its gotta be at the other guys post office.

Now if I kept insisting on us using Registered Mail, but he kept saying no just use regular insured mail, then I wouldn't really feel compelled to help him out a bit with the $1,000 that hes out. However I did agree later to use regular Insured Mail. Its probably still a little too early to say the package is completely lost, but at this point I'm trying to debate with myself if and how much I should help cover some of this $1,000.

On one hand he wasnt there to sign for the package the first time and it was his idea originally to send the package with a method that we later find out doesnt cover what we were shipping. On the other hand I did later agree to ship it regular Insured Mail, and I guess it is kind of my responsibility to make sure it gets to him.

I dunno what would you guys do? If it never arrives then say "tough luck" or would you help him cover some of $1,000, or all of it or what?

2. the optimist

the optimist New Member

Sounds to me like he's got the problem not you, I wouldn't give it another thought

3. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Always, Always send with registered and signature.
    Obviously the package is there as they have tried to deliver it.

4. klacey

klacey New Member

Agreed. If they have tried to post then its with his post office for sure. Did you add a return address and how long will the post office keep hold of the parcel? It could be on its way back to you. What does the tracking number come back with?

5. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

Morning,

One, there is evidence that there IS a package.

Two, there appears evidence that the package is missing - at his end.

Three, the package is missing using his system, not yours - requested by him.

Sorry, that is very clearly his problem.

Is there any possibility he is attempting to dud you?

Whether you help or not is clearly up to you. Do you think he would help out if you didn't recieving yours?

Hard to say as an outsider.

Good luck

Gazza

6. dross

dross Active Member

Maybe as others have said its on its way back to you or possibly move in the storm & is buried in the snow at his place.

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a simple policy
    Anything over $100 value I will send platinum xpress
    If the customer isn't willing to spend the extra couple of dollars , I will usually spend it anyway out of my pocket
    That extra couple of dollars isn't worth the risk ;)
    I deal with mainly regular return customers , & I will normally include platinum xpress in the deal

:D

8. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where in Australia do we have large snow storms in summer?

9. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not a PM item but I sent a parcel last Christmas and it never arrived, trouble tracking it. No one could find it at the post office, lots of hassles. I had to manufacture a new item, had it made and wrapped ready to go to the post office and I was going to wear the whole cost - I was not a happy fella at all. Very annoyed to say the least, whole process had dragged on for a month. Anyway I was going to send newly manufactured item and I get a phone call "item arrived, do not send the replacement"

A month for a package to travel 800km and they did not know where it was. They may well still find it, I would suggest you wait a bit longer to see if it is found.

10. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think he might be in the US, Canada or Europe from the mention of snow. Also he refers to a mailing system which leaves a card for non registered post, here in good old Oz it would just be left on the step, snow or no snow! AND I don't believe you can insure non registered post here, but might be wrong on that one.

11. Rick4691

Rick4691 Member Silver Stacker

hi guys I am going through a battle with Auspost as I type. I have found out that one cannot insure pms in the mail at it is prohibited to send it period. It was explained to me that the Mint and bigger dealers have an exclusion clause whereby they can send pms by mail. I am expecting an investigator from Auspost to visit me this week to interview me and possibly veiw the cctv footage I have of one of their contractors doing the wrong thing on two consecutive days

12. konsole

konsole New Member

ya I'm talking about the USA and pm's arent covered under regular insured mail. If someone has to sign for the package and nobody is there to do so then a piece of paper is left telling the person they can pick up the package at the post office.

13. Rick4691

Rick4691 Member Silver Stacker

that is what is supposed to happen console, but in this instance the items were signed for by another party who had no right to do so and apart from losing his/her job, could also be facing charges in the courts

14. long88

long88 Member

i actually got an item missing.. and i have go to go through the call centre.. given case number etc etc.. (standard procedure).

in the end, the money comes in at the maximum claim.. (it was registered).

i would not say it is coin.. what is in the package, computer parts that have high value content... (processor xeon etc).

always put the value to the max allowed to be claimed. as chances are you end up getting your money back + profit.

never use regular mail.. as it always get losts.

15. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Platinum, Platinum, platinum. Even that can disappear for a couple of days if sent to the wrong shed. Happened to one in Melbourne I sent. The tracking system showed one place and it was at another place . But it appeared after a couple of days.

16. konsole

konsole New Member

I hope he eventually gets the package. Seems like a nice guy too. Maybe I'll send him a 10 oz bar (registered mail) to show him I care :)

17. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Why not getting a PO BOX?
    Havent you guys learn. No PO BOX no deal or at your own risk.