The video game Bioshock Infinite

Discussion in 'Silver' started by konsole, Jan 7, 2014.

1. konsole

konsole New Member

Infinite is the 3rd in the Bioshock series and there seems to be some message pertaining to silver in the game. It was released a little less then a year ago, whereas the first 2 games where released probably about 3-5 years ago. The first 2 games where just called Bioshock and Bioshock 2, but now there is "Infinite" as the 3rd bioshock.

The first 2 games took place in an underwater city, basically "down in the dumps" where science was king and people lived without rules. I guess it was a place for people to get away from the "overbearing" society above on land. In these 2 games the US Dollar was the currency used to buy things in the game. I think the first 2 games took place somewhere in the 1940's and 50's. Early in 2013 Bioshock was released and instead of using US Dollars as currency, it now uses Silver Eagles. Along with the Silver Eagles, the antagonist or "The Prophet" is named Comstock, which many know the Comstock lode was a massive silver discovery. Bioshock Infinite takes place in a floating city in the clouds, kind of like "the sky is the limit with silver". Also the floating city in Infinite is called Columbia which I would assume relates to the District of Columbia. Placing a connection between the District of Columbia and silver is difficult but I think it can be made. Finally Infinite takes place in 1912, which is just before the Federal Reserve was created. So you have silver being used as currency in a game just before the Federal Reserve was created in real life, and then US Dollars being used in the other 2 games which time wise took place later.

When I first noticed these things I did some searching online to see if anyone else had noticed it, but I didnt find anything. If anyone has played these games and has anything to say about a connection with silver please share. If you want you can go on youtube and watch some gameplay videos of the game to see if you can spot any connections with silver. I'm gonna see if I can contact the creators of the games to see what they have to say about all this.

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

While you're no doubt reading into it far more than the creators I do like this post :)

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The online game, 'World of Tanks' is run on Gold & Silver.

Gold can be purchased with real world currency (i.e. with your credit card) (to buy certain items in game such as Vehicles & Equipment Premium account Etc)

Silver is earned in-game and can also be used for purchasing equipment repairs etc.

Some items/features can only be purchased with gold.

It's a novel way for the developers to earn money on an essentially '$ free' game as it allows players to play for free (taking a long time to progress) or those who are keener can have a much richer experience by paying more.

4. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mario and Luigi have been stacking gold coins for the last 25 years. :)

5. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The first Bioshock was basically an intellectual love song to Ayr Rand and Objectivism. The underwater city of Rapture was created practically as a stand-in for Galt's Gulch from Atlas Shrugged.

"I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'it belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'it belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'it belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor; where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality; where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well."

If you want to see 2 pages worth of Atlas Shurgged references in Bioshock 1, click below:
    http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/BioShock_Cultural_References

6. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

the Columbia might refer to space shuttle columbia the one that blew up in 2003

7. Roswell Crash Survivor

"Columbia is a historical and poetic name used for the United States of America, and is also the name of its female personification."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)

The song 'Hail, Columbia' was also an unofficial US national anthem prior to adoption of 'The Star-Spangled Banner'.

So 'Columbia' is a poetic/literary allusion to 'America', which is why they name one of those deathtrap Space Shuttles 'Columbia' because it fits the theme of the Shuttle fleet's names. ('Freedom', 'Endeavour' etc)

8. Clawhammer

Just earned 967 silver sticking a AP round from my Tiger 1 into a T-29's lower mantle at 500 metres :cool:

9. Roswell Crash Survivor

World of Tanks?

10. Clawhammer

yup :)

11. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

I have all gold guns in COD4

12. silvertorrent

silvertorrent New Member

Rocked a pair of the Golden Gun in Goldeneye 007 [Nintendo64] back in the day :p

13. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Yes konsole. This was my fav game of the year, almost ever. And i didnt notice that alot. Its cool being a stacker and then playing a game where u just go around collecting thousands of silver eagles. and killing for them ;) (shft anyone?! :0 ). I was wondering for ages if somone else noticed that.

14. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

You can also pickup bars of silver, they are worth like 20 eagles I think, sick game

15. konsole

konsole New Member

I used one contact link to send the game developers a message and they don't see to be responding to that one. I found another contact and just sent an email to that one. Lets see if I get a response.

16. oscarheem

oscarheem Member

bioshock infinite is a really good game. I did notice the silver. I think it just gives the game a bit more of an oldskool Victorian vibe, nothing less, nothing more.

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or every cloud has a silver lining.

I guess it is ok to read things into the game, a lot of thought goes into making some of them, as long as the computer game isn't telling you to do anything we should be safe.

I am pretty sure there was a game called Dungeons and Dragons which also had gold and silver as currency but I don't know which consol it was on.

18. Emanance

Emanance Guest

:lol: Made me think of:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztRfwxiq28[/youtube]

19. Clawhammer

cheese dreams anyone?
    [​IMG]

20. konsole

konsole New Member

Several people on this page said the same thing about thinking that the antagonist Comstock is named after the Comstock Lode

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bioshock/comments/1b7d7r/a_look_into_the_names_of_the_bioshock_infinite/

I dunno, USD being used in the first 2 games, then "silver eagles" (American Silver Eagles) being used in the third game while the antagonist in the third game is now potentially named after the biggest silver discovery in history, and is referred to as "The Prophet". Cant be a coincidence can it?