Opinions on Australian Lunar Series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by colu41, Jan 4, 2014.

1. colu41

colu41 New Member

Now I love these pieces. With a large 45mm diameter and the all beautiful quality of a Perth Mint bullion coin just makes me want all of them. But what holds me back from stacking them to the ceiling is the crazy premiums. How do they go about figuring them?
    For example, AG is currently at approx $20. And the 2014 Lunar horse is on average about $40 anywhere you go. Thats double spot.
    So if silver was $30 will they be $60? In no way shape or form will I ever pay that for a raw bullion coin. Hard enough for me to pay $40 right now so I am just curious as to what you guys think.

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

That is nothing. Fools will pay $100 oz for that same 1 oz coin with a spider or dragon painted on it.

I can only imagine the Perth Mint idiot wealth transfer planning meetings.

"We are thinking of doing a limited edition Koala turd coin."

"Will it sell?"

"Yes sir, we believe so if the past is an indicator. We just need to paint the turd brown and limit it to 2500 pieces."

"How much can we charge?"

"About $100 a turd sir!"

"No sh*t!"

3. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Buy in bulk when they are first released approx $31

cheer$

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How do they figure premiums :lol:

Supply and demand ;)
    Don't like the premiums , don't buy them
    Stack bullion instead
    That's where a lot of people get confused
    Are you a stacker or a collector or a flipper

5. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. colu41

colu41 New Member

See that's where I differ. I love collecting. But the long term goal is investing. This a way for me to put away something extra. As I will have no problem selling when I'm ready. That and Lunar bullion coins seem to appreciate in value quite nicely so.That $40 I spend on a few coins here and there isn't a big deal right now.
    Same thing with Pandas imo

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I just can't believe APMEX and Provident now selling these for 38.00 and 40 respectively. Simply amazing. I'm loving 80 of these bad boys for 34.50. Nice. Gainesville still has them for 35 and change...for now.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Just recently, I saw on eBay a Perth Mint 1 oz silver Lunar Horse sell for under $33USD (if I recall correctly). I was watching it but was out the entire day and missed the bidding.

My point is, on eBay you can find better prices than from dealers when buying small quantities. Where the big dealers often have the edge is in large quantity orders.

I am from the USA and I also fell hard for the Perth Lunar series. The Lunar bullion coins are of a much higher quality than the US Mint bullion coins like the boring and cheapo-looking Amer Eagles. I think it's for this reason and the fact that the Amer Eagles can be minted to virtually any quantity (tens of millions minted in each of the past several years and every year in the past 13 years, minted a minimum of nearly 10 million coins per year) that the Perth Mint can easily sell for much higher premiums as the limit for the 1 oz bullion is no greater than 300k....that's significantly fewer than tens of millions. Besides, the boring Amer Eagle never changes design whereas the Lunar changes design every year and every series is re-designed from the ground up...even the size of the coin changes.

Besides, the Lunar animals are not only very popular among the Chinese (who buy lots of pm products) but also among many other pm and coin buyers around the globe.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The premium on the coins is worth every cent.

Limited edition, reverse-proof (USA) or...Brilliant uncirculated (AUS) encapsulated bullion coins.

If you buy a roll of coins, you may find coins that grade NGC MS70 which..."could" provide you a very nice capital gain.

imo, Perth's Lunar coins are fabulous, they hold their value, are well-known through-out the world and remain very stackable / collectable.

All 1oz coins are sold-out.

The various sizes 1/2, 2, 5, 10 and kilo coins from previous years are yielding very good prices. :D

This years 2015 Lunar Goat is going to be designed by Natasha Muhl :cool:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0fiH2U86fU[/youtube]

10. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I LOVE LUNARS!!! as a collectible I might pay a $20 premium. If you want to get a lower premium you need to get in early during release and/or buy in bulk. An alternative semi-numi coin would be the kookaburra, currently $6.40ish per ounce over spot if you buy a roll, still has Perth mints wonderful craftsmanship, and usually does well not as much potential as lunars but they are easy to get into at a great price as far as encapsulated 1oz rounds go

11. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

waiting for 5oz Ag Horses....

12. barsenault

Lunars and Kooks are the best bar none, IMHO...especially when it comes to bullion coins. I think 35 is a steal. I remembered DC laughing at me when I bought 80 of them in the 34's right out of the gate. I have a goal of one more roll. And then I wait for the new stock horse, goat and kook. :)

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I would like to see this mythical post where I was laughing at you. What I posted is that I thought the premiums would decrease and I was right. But the premiums have not decreased as much as I expected or enough to tempt me to buy. A $12.50 premium is too much for me, but if you believe $35 is a steal, you should be loading up at $32.xx. My 1oz lunar premiums have ranged from 3.85-7.00. The lone exception was the 5 1oz silver lunar dragons I bought in August when I expected to the horse premiums to return to normal and I thought I was going to keep my lunar sets going. I paid about $40-41 each for those coins. Too much IMHO, but 40-45% of what buyers in the US paid when they came out two years earlier. The lunars are my favorite series, but I buy coins as an investment.

14. barsenault

Just having fun with you DC. :). Here in the states, anyone will be hard pressed to find a lunar horse bullion for under 35. I think Gainesville had them when spot went to the low 19's. I've been a amazed at how they've held their value too. I suspect I may have another chance to get some in the 34 range in the not too distant future, if they're not all gone before then. My best guess is spot breaks below 19. We'll see. I won't be crying if it does but smiling. :) hope you are well. All the best.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

All is well barsenault, other than Obamacare costing me my health insurance. Fortunately, I am healthy. The $32.74 price is at Gainesville.com right now for orders of 100 or more. Their lowest premium has been spot plus $12.49 for months. $33.74 for 20-99 and $34.74 for 1-19. So you can finish your 100 right now. Since I am no longer committed to keeping my lunar sets going, you have no competition from me for the horses. I have my mice and tigers to keep me warm. :D

16. barsenault

Yeah, Obama has singlehandedly destroyed this country...or is trying to. He is a criminal. Oh and the prices you quote from Gainesville are wire transfer, and there is a 5% authorization fee...not sure if that is in addition to the price. And one needs to spend a minimum of 2,000.00. No thanks. But even at 35.75, still a rock'n price. I'll complete it someday. I'm focused on gold right now. Got a couple 2013 Pandas. Nice. :)

17. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Not sure what you're talking about regarding the 5% authorization fee. They do put a 5% hold on your cc for the order, but that is cancelled when they receive the wire. I am not a big fan of Gainesville, but if you buy a roll, you should get an unopened roll.

18. barsenault

Ah, got it. Thought maybe there is a fee. Plus I need to spend 2k. And I won't buy unless they agree to an unopened roll. No way. :)

19. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Aren't the 2/5/10oz and kilo lunars a lot closer to spot than the 1oz? If so, do they sell higher later on and are also more scarce than the 1oz? If that is the case is it ideal to stack these?

20. colu41

colu41 New Member

I'm going to have to keep a look out for the 2015s later this year. What dealers if any other than Perth sell them at the normal price?

I dont want to have to wait for the secondary market and pay $20-$25 over this time.