Home robbery in Brisbane

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Lunty, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whether forum related or not we all need to think about how and where we keep things and most importantly who we tell about stuff.

I had my car stolen a few weeks ago and at first I thought it was a random act, but Im starting to realise it was targeted and that the person/s know me.

Lunty shouldn't discount anybody at this stage. The culprit/s might be from somewhere unexpected, but be someone who knows he's a stacker. Don't have to be a mem on here for that.

2. silvertorrent

silvertorrent New Member

Measures like that would have put me off from ever joining; yes there are low lives out there as per this thread (my condolences OP) but to close this site off in such a fashion would IMHO be detrimental in attracting more members (which short of actual figures would IMO already weigh heavily with more productive posters then would be thieves).

Failing that; there is simply no guarantee that a copy cat looking for a target will not join this forum, regardless of such measures as the range of methods available for anonymity online (among the more intelligent type of thief as opposed to the opportunist, though I suspect even the latter could park their backside in front of someone elses keyboard) would make any data collected on this server inaccurate and unusable were such to occur.

Going any further (requesting full ID and details of members) to try and mitigate anonymity tool use would not only dissuade people from using this forum (I'd leave in that instance for personal security reasons) but create a new attack vector for such thieves (why trawl through thousands of threads when there is a handy user accounts database ripe for copying).

3. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

I was talking to my wife about Luntys loss and she suggested the same as silvermernda said, maybe it could be worth 3 of you's get together and look at
    trade history,

Did they only take your stack Lunty or has other stuff gone?

If it was only the stack then its possible youve been targeted....I hope the police turn something up soon mate..

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

There were other events like this in the past, talked about here.
    Could it be an idea to assemble a list previous trades from these, to lay next to eachother, to see if certain names occur in all?

5. the optimist

the optimist New Member

Horrible news that, gutted for you fellow stacker.

Finger crossed for you, I hope you get lucky and get it back !

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Warning!
    Some file types such as JPEG include EXIF data that can include GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken,
    particularly if taken with smartphones such as iPhones. Check that you're not inadvertantly uploading your home address!

http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploadimg.php

Remember!
    Google Earth can allow crims to view your property in detail.

Never
    Discuss your security arrangements with anyone, and that also means if your wife is chatty, keep her in the dark.

Never discuss your security arrangements with a person on this forum even if they have become a close cyber friend.

Research

Research ways to diversify, never put all your eggs in one basket.

Lets make 2014 the year of protecting your wealth.

Cheers

H

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Evidently not all too clever. FTFY ;)

Any developments in the case? Wonder if they knew you were about to move your PM's or was it just a fluke... As soon as I read about the first robbery that happened to an SS member I got a PO box and SDB's. Wish you had done the same mate.

Every member I've sold to that gives their home address for delivery I've told to get a PO box, most find some excuse not to :/

8. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Something else to think about.

If your going to ship something Example:(Quantity of coins or bars) in a used Aus/Post box package, make sure it doesn't have your home address details on it.

I inadvertently did this a couple of times before I realized my mistake.

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

For most of us, too many people know we have pms. So, would you prefer that someone break into your home looking for pms that aren't there? I never tell them which bank I use, just that the pms are at a bank. There are about 20 different banks/branches, within a mile or two of my office and about 5 near my house. Also, in the US, the SDBs are double keyed and the bank doesn't have a master key to copy yours. If you lose your key, the bank has to drill out the lock. SDBs, at least in the US, are the safest method of pm storage for most of us.

10. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I started a thread in the members area, I received packages in packing that had been reused and had all the sender details from previous trades. If it happened to me several time I can say it is / was happening with other people , even if you have not traded with someone someone else you have traded with may have passed on your details by accident.

Something people need to be aware of - if you reuse packaging makes sure you totally remove other people's details prior to sending.

11. IlikeSilver

IlikeSilver Member

Yes the trade history between the 3 forum members that had been robbed seem's like a good point to start, it was obviously a targeted attack,they knew he was not home and knew what and how to get it, to open it up like that they came prepared to do the job,hopefully they left some nice prints for the boys in blue to work with im sure they have a list of local scum bag's that may already be known for such act's,the fact that almost everyone who buys bullion here in Oz now know's about it will hopefully make it very hard for them to sell without drawing attention i seriously doubt they are capable of smuggling it out of the country to take through an airport would raise some red flags,

I would happily donate a couple Oz's to him being a Soldier with a few tours under his belt, i feel so terrible for him to have this happen after he put his ass on the line, im sure i would not be alone in donating silver im not rich but i wouldn't mind missing a couple oz's for him

12. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Sorry for you loss Lunty.

This may have been mentioned above and sorry I didn't have the time to read all the thread but if Lunty was diligent in his stacking? he MUST log all the serial numbers/sizes/brands of what he lost here on SS'ers.

This way, IF they are sold F2F we all on his treasured SS'ers can and will know we maybe buying stolen goods. Remember, if you think you are a smart cookie and buy one of his stolen stash and you then go to F2F with someone else and have no records of the 1st purchase and that second F2F reports you. Well then I'll leave it up to you to imagine what will come next. :/

13. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

After reading this thread Lunty, I honestly felt a bit sick to my stomach. Having had the pleasure of meeting you a few times in the past at meets, I know how hard you worked for your stack and what a nice guy you are. I hope the police are able to recover your stack and nab these scumbags.

And I for one will never store any serious amount of metal at home again...

14. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This event was noted on survivalblog.com under OPSEC with a link to the ABC news item.

15. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

this morning I had a huge sigh of relief.....
    .....I have been reading this evolving thread and learning of more about the devastating blow that these burglars/scu*bagz had inflicted upon Lunty. My thoughts go out to you Lunty. Fingers crossed that you can get somewhere with some form of recovery of the items.

We too had our property burgled over the Christmas break. The big sign of relief is that we had already long ago shifted our investments from the property. These events however, give you a very clear picture, by way of tell tale signs, into the singular focus these crims have and what they are specifically targeting. On the surface it looks very "random" in nature - but having read through a lot of the commentary in this and other threads....and seen first hand their methods......there are too many similarities. So - what's the current running count of S/S burglaries over the Christmas break??

16. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I was about to post a question about this.

I wonder how many other stackers here have been burgled over the past 6 months, particularly in Brisbane.
    It's possible the same guys are going through a number of stackers until they hit one with PMs stored at home.

17. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Ultra Violet Pens - a few dollars each can be obtain from internet sites also ebay.
    They are not that expensive.

18. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Having been through this recently I know how Lunty feels. Heartbreaking mate, but you will get through it.

I can tell you that the resources being thrown at this crime are overwhelming.

Also I hope that SilverStackers gets through this and thrives. Stacking was an ethos for me, a way of life, I learnt so much from this site and the people that make it up. If there are bad apple(s), they need to be weeded out and dealt with. And members need to take all precautions to protect their stack. This site isn't to blame.

19. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I propose to our Super Maggie, to make available the Ultra Violet Pens & lamps available to us via her
    site. Since Maggie's is our one Stop Shop

Please Say Thank below. Majority Say "Aye"
    If this happen and we order from her, Will Maggie stock them??
    Maggie opinion please???

Have move this to a new Thread!! Thank you

20. slipage

slipage New Member

Po box is good, just be careful if it's in the same suburb and I'f you have your surname linked to anything that can be looked up online eg whitepages.

I've heard stories of criminals creating fake facebook accounts and send friend requests to certain Targets so they know there activity of when the home is unattended.

Some good people have paid the price for us to learn from it, and I for one have had my guard down in the past. Off course these are extreme cases but when trading bullion is involved it can paint a target on us.