What's Hot and What's Not?!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 1for1, Dec 26, 2013.

1. db23

db23 Member

The moment a mint requests more premium from a bullion coin is the moment that imperfections like milk spots become unacceptable.

Why should a customer pay more money for a coin if the mint isn't putting any extra effort into that coin?

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Amen brother! That has been my argument for a long time. It is why I got rid of all my 'premium' coins with spots, never to look back, and never to order from these mints again. If I want standard bullion with spots, why pay a premium, like I did with the Canadian wildlife...that was the biggest wast of money in my PM investing.

3. JB3

JB3 Member

In a way, we agree.

You're right, two coins at the same price, I'd take the unblemished one. But that doesn't mean I care about milk spots. I'd not pay a penny more for one with no milk spots than a similar lump of silver with them.

So you might say I care. But I care more about the value of a penny than the presence or absence of milk spots, so I'd say I don't.

I don't even look at the metal I own - I stash it and leave it.

Edited for grammar.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So you don't care about the reduced capital gain you would get on a coin? :rolleyes:

No body in their right mind wants coins with milk spots unless they can be had for under spot or heavily discounted. :D

Sell your milk-spot coins on ebay with the equivalent listing of a coin with no milk spots and...your coin will not get sold and...if you sell a crappy milk-spotted coin on this forum without declaring the coin has milk-spots then your feedback will be trashed.

Don't care about milk-spots...you better start caring because we here on SS hate them and we don't like mints that charge top dollar for their milky products.

H

5. JB3

JB3 Member

But I won't be selling here, or on ebay. When I come to sell silver, it will be for the value of the metal.

Just like when I bought it.

You only have to worry about the premium if you paid it in the first place.

6. JB3

JB3 Member

On reflection, I realise now I'm in the 'Silver Coins' bit of the forum - while I have a stack of these too, I can see why it matters more here.

On the other hand, if you are stacking for mass rather than beauty, you might realise to some it doesn't.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes but some of us are stacking for mass.

There's plenty of folk who buy monster boxes to gain a decent discount only to find that the tubes of coins have spots.

Sure...some would say that the coins are only bullion but...folk buy these coins to stack-away for their potential numismatic appeal.

Anyway...not trying to argue the point...on this New Year Day...just trying to put my view across and hope those mints who have a milky rep...get their act together to provide customers with a quality product for their hard-earned dollars.

All the best for the New Year. :)

H

8. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Stacking for mass is certainly a viable strategy. In that strategy I would simply go for the cheapest thing available regardless of condition. Spotting, dings, dents, gouges and whatever else one can come up with are of no consequence.

With that said, there are other strategies and many of those strategies are greatly affected by milk spots. Using semi-numismatic coins to generate profits that I turn into mass has been a very big winner for me and has allowed me to acquire way more mass than I otherwise would have but just stacking mass alone.

9. JB3

JB3 Member

That's exactly what I do. In fact, if I can get a spotted coin for cheaper than a perfect one, I'll buy the spotted one.

I'm a simple soul; I'm buying the silver for the silver. Only.

Others, of course, may have other views.

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The only ones who are shallow and extremely one dimensional are those who don't even understand the concept of a premium and don't have a clue as to why milk spots are so frowned upon by many (if not most) people who buy coins. Most people here like and dislike a diversity of metal products. Many happen to realize that milk spots is a defect caused by poor quality control. Seems like the RCM isn't very keen on quality control. On top of that, their pre-release ordering policy which advantages some (based on an absurd criteria) but not others, sucks really bad.

I guess those shallow Canadians who are fanatic devotes of milk spots and other obvious defects can't see past their own severe limitations.

I say, to each their own and if many people reject milk spots, then why throw a pissy-fit at them....that's just arrogance you display.

Happy new Year.

11. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As aurora et luna says, milk spots are a guarantee that the coin is genuine RCM.

12. mmissinglink

So, a good imitation bullion CML will have faux milk spots?

:)

13. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No, just three.

14. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

That "junk" set a record for sales this year. You must have Vegemite between the ears.

15. Hellrider1

Hellrider1 New Member

Wow, lot of dicks on this thread. How can someone be shallow if they don't care about appearance and judging by somethings content? That's not the definition of shallow. Some people care about milk spots others do not. RCM not going out of business any time soon and good for those who don't want large premiums over spot.

Saying to each their own while insulting with backhanded comments is arrogant.

16. Staz

Staz Member

Thanks.
    Happy New Year to you too.

17. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

easy-cheap silver hot others not

18. mmissinglink

Yeah sure, so did Madoff Securities set records too. You don't get it...just because some people buy something doesn't mean it's a hot investment. You can buy 2013 ASE's are less valuable today than they were in 2012 and the first half of 2013. That's not hot at all...that's a loser investment.

19. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

You could make that statement about Maples,Viennas, bar, rounds, Pamp.
    You seem to be talking about the general PM play as an investment...no need to take it out on SAE's.
    SAEs could not be minted fast enough this year and serve as the global standard for general Ag investing.

20. mmissinglink

@ GreyGhost,

There are coins that have increased in value over the same period that ASE's and other common bullions have decreased. I'm only pointing out the devaluation of ASE's because that's a good example of the problem with common bullion coins. I could have just as easily used CMLs as an example....it's the same point but CMLs are plagued even more by the poor quality control problems of the RCM.

@ Hellrider1, the only dickheads here are those like you who intentionally conflate other's statements and then insult them for something they never asserted. You are the cast iron kettle calling the stainless steel teapot black. It must be a magical experience to live in your fantasy world.