Ever walked through airport security with a gold/silver coin or bar ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silverperch, May 14, 2011.

1. OneDay

OneDay Active Member Silver Stacker

I've been wonder about this. I wonder if I could get a few kilo bars into New Zealand from Australia this way? I'd hate to think what I'd do if they said I couldnt take them on the flight with me though. kinda hard to last minute rebook flights.

I'm worried they will think the kilo bars could be used as a weapon.

2. OneDay

nvm its probably a bad idea to try to take them.

3. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah refuse the swab and you are not going through and therefore not getting on the plane.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Catch a boat.

5. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Went through one of those full body scanners for the first time earlier this week. Kind of funky, on the monitor red dots come up as areas for them to check - fella went for a boob grab on me which I was not expecting :) and a run over with a wand. Not sure if the full body scanner picks up metal or just looks for the outline of the body. Looks very impressive though.

6. OneDay

Those things make me think I live in a police state it feels so invasive having to stand in one of them. They are friendly enough about it but even still they are spooky machines.

7. OneDay

mite see if I can get one back from bali. :p

8. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

They're just a tool, nothing more.

9. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Thats because it is a police state

10. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

Have only taken G & S bullion out three times (2 x SIN 1 x AKL) and picked up each times through x ray but no issues. Luggage x rayed on arrival into SIN and AKL and not questioned.

Get explosive swabbed every time (no shaved head) and when I asked why, was advised that it's a numbers game and if I am always punctual for my flights, this is the reason? BS

I used to travel internationally for work, I carry an Epipen in my bag, have done for 15 years and although I carry a letter my Epipen has never been picked up through any of the hundreds of airport I have passed through around the world. Hence I have zero confidence for the screening which apparently is for our safety onboard.

Three weeks ago I got pulled up for the small amount of gel toothpaste I was carrying and whilst I was given a lecture I was thinking, no problem I'll just pick the food out of my teeth with the syringe that I am carrying......and that once again you have missed :)

11. goanna

What's the issue with being scanned?

12. goanna

13. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Going from Darwin to Singapore to Jakarta to Sudan.
    I had a 10 mm open end spanner taken off me, when I asked why she said no tools allowed cos I could undo the bolts on the plane. Never seen a 10 mm bolt on a plane maybe they hold the wings on. She also took half bottle of Jack, said we (there was three of us) we will drink it as we have two hours before the flight. No if we do she will not let us board, but it ok to go to the bar. What the?
    After realizing this woman was a rotti with lipstick and wanted to bend us over, I remembered I packed the for mans bag that morning with a pas lode gas nail gun plus nail packs which include gas cylinders. I went cold said sorry your right and got out of there. There was not much else in the bag. Still wonder how it go through all those countries. Well I can in the Sudan as it was not automatic. This was 2002
    Don't advise anybody to do this these days. It was still dumb in those days.
    But if you need one and can't buy one Sudan and can't freight one, you take one, well that's our excuse.

14. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

evening all,

if I am carrying a lot, I declare and ask for a personal check in a room - never had a problem.

However, I did make a boo boo a few trips back - I had a few drinks (one too many obviously) with some friends at the airport and went to security later than I should have.

I dumped all on the trays, remembered to take off all that pulls you up - didn't have any metal to show and strolled through.

Nothing happened.

When I got on the plane i discovered I had forgotten to take off my security bellybag - stainless wire through the belt and stainless webbing in all the fabric - complete with padlock and about 50 pieces of jewellery.

Amazing - I just strolled through. If I hadn't drank those extra few grogs, I would have taken my usual time - maybe not asked for a search on that bag unless asked to open, but at least I would have put it on the machine.

anyway -- have a great night all

gazza

15. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What actually is the legislation regarding random explosives checks?

Years ago it used to be voluntary, however the last flight I took a few months ago, I asked the screener as he was checking me. The response was that if I refused, I would be arrested and locked up - his demeanor was serious.

16. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

Gold, Silver and most Jewellery metals (titanium stainless steel) don't annoy the scanners.
    I have been known to wear new purchases through the scanner at the domestic to check for fakes

17. goanna

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to board a flight carrying a surveryor's level, something that had been done bi monthly for a couple of years.
    Was informed that it cannot be taken on as it can be used as a weapon.
    Never mind the steel ball point pen in my pocket, I was going to take this thing and swing it by the strap and bash someone's head in.

I do not know who sets policy or even if they do as there is no consistency - can take something one flight, not the next but then can again later.
    I suspect it's the discretion of the baggage booker at the time.

18. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've never had any probs - oh btw saw this, whilst on a theme... Remember - NO PIE FILLINGS (unless of course they're in a pie) and NO COCKTAIL STICKS (but do feel free to board with your 15" knitting needles)...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luNfghUnvFg[/youtube]

19. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Some countries have the maximum value of goods allowed to enter set at $10k..Or is that the max amount of cash allowed?
    When going into a country with gold bars do the customs determine the value of your possessions?
    When carrying coins like Britannias or nuggets do the customs go by the metal value or stated face value?
    What is the criteria of entering with gold or silver?

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was pulled up and searched because the X-Ray showed up a luggage scale. True story. I don't think these security types are picked for intelligence. I also believe it is part of the training mechanism that includes random vehicle/licence checks and the bully boys that they have installed to prevent fare evasions from their inefficient ticketing systems.

The fact of the 600 million or so made by the manufacturers of the scanning machines and the company Board's connections to the Bush dynasty and political machine is probably also a factor in installing them, and their regular upgrades, at every airport in Christendom.

I have no illusions that someone dedicated could not compromise their security measures without breaking a sweat.

You have papers!!