Could it be china manipulating the spot price ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by the optimist, Dec 22, 2013.

1. the optimist

the optimist New Member

I was just reading an article online about the possibility that its china driving down the price of PM while they buy it all up.

Thinking about it, if they are the worlds biggest buyer of silver & gold with the power they've got that seems feasible doesn't it ?

Buy it all up on the cheap then force the price back up, then show the world how much they actually have, call out America to do the same (which they wont do). then dump all the Dollars they are holding (leaving America in the $hit).

Then become the world reserve currency back by Gold.

2. klacey

klacey New Member

I think i may have read the same thing somewhere or watched a youtube video on it. In the last few years they went from biggest exporter of silver, to the biggest importer of silver. It wouldnt surprise me one bit if a plan is already done on China becoming the next WRC. China are buying alot of overseas real estate also, they are very clever people if you ask me.

3. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Interesting idea but how would the Chinese drive the prices down?

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Short paper long phys =winning formula

If I had as much $$$$ as they have I believe I could get myself a discount on my next purchase with a bit of timing

5. the optimist

the optimist New Member

Something else I thought was what if they don't have all these $ that everyone thinks they have ? they could have been spending them on PM for years through 3rd parties,

Buying Americas gold using Americas dollars

6. impending

impending New Member

One theory suggests China may have reached an agreement with the US to continue purchasing their treasuries in return for cheap gold. Note, the Chinese recently announced they would soon stop purchasing US treasuries.

For those who haven't already seen it, this is a currency wars scenario devised by Jim Rickards as an exercise for the pentagon some years ago. The Chinese gold hoarding scenario is playing out as predicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPkaCTdxBU

7. klacey

klacey New Member

We can only guess what goes on, we will never know the truth. We can only do what we can with the info we do have and hope for the best. I dont think its just a wealth transfer, its also a power transfer. China will take the crown as top dog. Whatever happens the world will look very different over the next decade. Just my opinion.

8. ounces

ounces New Member

I have seen articles of gold buying by China but does anyone have a link to their silver purchases.

9. klacey

klacey New Member

10. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I personally think it is China calling the shots, keeping PMs low while they buy everything physical in sight,my theory on how and why they are doing it is this.

China holds a massive amount of US treasuries and dollars.

China has within its hands the ability to destroy the US and the rest of the West by dumping its holdings of US treasuries, but of course they will damage themselves in the process of creating financial turmoil.

Also I don't think China has the very sophisticated financial systems the US does so they get the US to do their bidding until they decide to let the physical PMs rise and then the Yuan will be the worlds reserve currency backed by gold,not trillions of dollars of electronic s--te created out of thin air.

There are already at least 30 countries including the UK that deal directly in the Yuan for trade with China by passing the US dollar.I believe Australia has also done direct Yuan deals for some commodities.

11. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Some big errors in judgement here....
    Why would China really care about the silver market anyway...............
    Chinese companies control the rare earth market.....now that is smart...but there is nothing particularly rare about silver and its uses are limited.
    The Chinese are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.....smart enough to know that a market is a market and that everything moves in cycles.....in fact they have known this for thousands of years..
    smart enough to know that you cannot force things to happen, they will happen on their own....such as the decrease in the silver price....
    If the demand was there, prices would be rising................all the talk about paper silver is just way off the track and wrong.

12. klacey

klacey New Member

Silver has over 10k industrial uses, with more being found all the time. Silver in the medical sector is on a huge increase due to its anti-bacterial property. Its limits are endless if you ask me.

13. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

There certainly isn't a shortage of the stuff about............all this talk about paper manipulation.....if this was true then there would be no physical to be had but this is not the case at all.
    At todays price you can get any amount of the stuff at the spot price......physical....

14. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Doc ruminating on the possibility of China pushing prices down;

SD
    One of the most avaricious of companies helping one of the most secretive of countries drive down PM prices? Quite possible indeed

15. the optimist

the optimist New Member

That's the article I was reading, makes you think doesn't it ?

16. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

Although the OP has posted in the silver section, his original post refers to PMs probably gold in particular. Which we al know is being manipulated by the Fed but who is wagging the Fed's tail China.

17. PAMP_it

PAMP_it Member

I agree that in the not too distant future we will all be looking at AUD/Yuan exchange rates, but I am keen to see what will play out in the US this year in terms of QE and tapering...

There is potential there to really set back the US economy, driving the country deeper and deeper into debt. I suppose the question you would have to ask then is how long will China continue to buy US treasuries and prop up an economy that hasn't shown signs of recovery in a few years. The good old Keynesian "spend your way out of recession" philosophy is all well and good but I don't see the US being able to pay all these trillions of dollars back.

Whilst the Chinese could probably crush the US at any point now I doubt they would shoot themselves in the foot like that, given they are one of the largest importers of Chinese goods, they will probably continue to gradually bleed US gold reserves through the interest payments and let the natural course play out.

I personally wonder how long China will last as the world superpower, and who the next one will be after China's inevitable downfall (anyone care to make a prediciton?? :p)

PS. I'm pretty young and not as knowledgeable or informed as most on here, so please don't crucify me if I've made any dumb statements :p

18. klacey

klacey New Member

Who is to say we would have another superpower after say USA or China. Other then Russia or India, no one comes close. Would the world be a better place without one? I personally dont think its the countries that are the superpowers, but the 1%ers.

19. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cyprus.

I have been a sleeper here in Oz for over 60 years. I am awaiting the call.

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

They might be buying our current production, but the gold not being in Fort Knox is another conspiracy myth. Have the banks leased out the gold and sold it? Yes. But if the buyers of that leased gold read their contracts, they will see the brokerage firms can pay them off in cash. If the Chinese are lucky, they will get back more US dollars than they paid in. Of course, those dollars will be worth less.