Coin prices rising as gold falls/holds

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Stacknpile, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

Up to a few weeks ago as gold (in UK sterling terms) was coming down and coin prices were following it. At a lot of times the premium for a 1 Oz coin was 20 to 35. Very low.

For the last few weeks gold has hovered around 750 but coin prices have been going up. Best part of 790-800 for a lot of coins.

I guess it's just the way it is sometimes. Just wondered if anyone else in the UK had noticed.

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I noticed that last year in UK with sovereigns in the various gold sellers in Essex. Spot down and prices up. Quite surprised me actually. It seemed to me that they didn't really want to sell any.

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I watch prices daily and what is happening right now is there are loads more buyers taking advantage of the drop in spot.
    Main dealers are low on stock and having to pay more for say sovereigns as demand is very high.
    This is very much now a sellers market so dealers can increase their selling prices.
    Typically the best prices over spot on sovereigns has crept up from 3% to 5% but not so on Krugerands for example.
    Shop around as not every supplier is marking up prices on all coins but some coins are sold out and when they appear they are marked up more than expected as you rightly pointed out.

4. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

Getting a bit better. I'm seeing Oz nuggets at 772 vs spot of 745. Other coins are a little cheaper but not much.

As gold keeps falling there is no rush to buy me my Christmas present!

5. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

Now 762 vs 735

Starting to track down with price