Who screwed Centrelink down so hard?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The last government tightened the thumb screws.

Regardless...that doesn't help your situation.

Obviously you are pissed off because... like many folk you have paid taxes and now need help until you get another job.

Well-done for looking for so many jobs...keep trying.

Maybe you could tell the forum your approximate age, location and any skills you have...maybe some-one on the forum could help you find a job.

Here's a few things you can do to help your family.

*Contact your energy supplier, explain the situation and they should be able to help you with an energy plan so that you can pay instalments.

*If you are well and truly on your arse financially with bugger all money in the bank, contact centrelink as they know of charities that can help with part of the energy bill or provide other types of assistance.

*Keep your head high...don't worry about the negative comments by those on the forum who say they have worked bla, bla, bla bla and are fing work gurus! Infact...many of them are tax dodgers, take cash in the hand, do not pay capital gains tax.. yet crow they are great citizens.

*Reduce your energy consumption and...if your Misses yells at you for trying to conserve energy but She won't...you need to discuss that situation in detail.

*Is your wife employable? Maybe she can get a part time job.

Best of luck.

H

2. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you want higher unemployment benefits; vote the Greens.
    Stop complaining about low social welfare while voting for those who would get rid of it if they could.

3. Byron

Byron Guest

There are so many people esp third worldlers rorting the system, I'd be tempted to say if you can't beat them join them.

Example being old next door neighbours newly arrived from Iraq, husband collected centrelink and worked a painting job on the side. He was "separated" from his wife so she could also get assistance. He also told me that as long as they have a religious ceremony they don't care if their marriage is not registered officially, which helps them get benefits.

4. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1, similar bill for myself and the misses.

When people complain of 1k bills most likely they are running the A/C alot and uses a tumble dyer (if you have the option hang your clothes out).

Oil heaters? maybe just turn them off and stack on 5 layers of clothing.

Slam

5. clear

clear Well-Known Member

are you serious ($ 1000) - use the centrelink personnel to help you with your household budget, you need assistance not necessarily more payments.

6. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

We don't use A/C much at all.....I just don't get it we turn all the lights off whenever we can and we don't use the clothes drier we have either......The Last Nat Gas bill they tried to charge us $380 but we hadn't even been using any gas, the heater is old and shitty and doesn't work so we got the gas turned off instead of paying rent for the meter that we don't even use.

O.k so it was bloody Labor that screwed it all down so hard.....Well done idiots.....good riddance!

7. whitty

whitty Member

Anything using electricity to create heat will be inefficient and expensive. Instead of posting power bill in $ amounts you should be comparing average units(kWh) per day.

Centrelink payments are only there to give you some food while you find a job, and will never be enough to live on without major changes in spending habits. The only people who can survive on it are either very thrifty or working for cash on the side/rorting the system.

There is always plenty of work around it just depends how much effort you want to put in to get it, FIFO or relocating to where the work is. If you're keen on bludging on the dole you might need to pop out a kid or 5 like the pros.

8. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you using electric hotwater? (If you are make sure you don't have a leak). Electric hotwater is a big money burner.

Thank god I made the right decision to run new gas into my place, enjoying the rinnai infinity running on gas. Gas works out much cheaper than electricity, for water heating and cooking. Even after supply charges your still ahead.

Slam

9. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$1000 electricity bill WTF?

I have a whole family and it's never much over $400 in winter.

10. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Sympathy level = NIL!

11. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The same threads going around in circles. People have tried to give advice and it's ignored or it simply doesn't sink in. Looking to blame governments or government agencies for your all woes isn't going to achieve anything. As stated above, if centrelink payments were more generous what incentive would there be for you to continue to look for work? It's disturbing that you have a kid who's relying his/her father being able to provide for their future but you're not willing to accept any responsibility for your finanical future. Move where there's work, do FIFO work, scrub toilets if you have to, but more importantly be a f*cking man and provide your family.

12. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Ye I know.....I trying to get the details of the last bill so I can try and find a better supplier......The water heating is electric I seriously don't know wots goin on with the power?

I am going to ring a few electricians and see if they can do some testing on the smart meter and house......I'm thinking thers something seriously wrong?

13. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

Your marriage is more important than your financial situation, stay together no matter what.

14. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's only to get more centrelink benefits

15. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes however sometimes temporary separation can lead to unintended and unexpected consequences and is not worth the risk. Also it is a reflection of priorities and a marriage should have higher priority than the material situation.

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Well I don't know what else to do...I am applying for jobs left right and centre....going to interviews as well.....Got one in Melbourne city tmrw morn at 11am..... Got another call this morning but the employee is planning ahead for after Xmas so that means I still gotta find some temp work until then.....Another job I am waiting until Dec 12 to find out if I get one months works operating forklifts.....Its just bloody hard!

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it must be "Ai Did"

18. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oh FFS.

Howard kicked off the really harsh reforms to punish "dole bludgers" because it was popular with conservative voters who didn't want to see their hard earned taxes going to supporting lay-abouts.

Labor maintained a hard line because they wanted the support of conservative voters who didn't want to see their hard earned taxes going to supporting lay-abouts.

The current Liberal government doesn't care about people doing it tough because they represent conservative voters who didn't want to see their hard earned taxes going to supporting lay-abouts.

Aside from the Greens, nobody in parliament has any sympathy for people in your situation.

This is the reality that we keep voting for, including you.

19. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pretty sure I remember the Business Council of Australia calling for a $50 a fortnight? raise in the newstart allowance not too long ago. TheEnd have you tried looking for work in QLD or WA?

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So I presume that you reported this abuse to Centrelink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.