2013 Somalia Elephant - African Wildlife 100 Shilling.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SILVERCOINSSHOW, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Thank you Sully for all the info. :) I really appreciate it. :)

The mintage is a little too high for my "taste". I will probably buy few high relief, couple of standards and maybe some with privy marks.
    The more I read/see about these coin, more I like them. :D

I know that high relief version comes in wooden box with glass.

Is even "wise" to buy privy marked coins?

2. Sully

Sully Member

You're right, Stark.

The high mintage is a real 'downer', but i still can't resist. :p

The high relief promises to be a classy item, and @ only 1,000 issued.
    The privy 'snake' @ 10,000
    The gilded @ 5,000

I'm not a fan of the privy strikes full stop, no matter what coin. Whether this one, or lunars, or kooks, koala's, maples, even britannia's now i think.
    I just think they're gimmicky. You know, like.... "lets add a privy mark and charge even more than the regular issue".
    Or, "so we've reached the max mintage on a popular coin, just add a privy mark to the same coin and mint lots more".
    I'm waiting for the day when there's a privy ON a privy :rolleyes:

But, there's no doubt, lots of people like them, and in some cases numbers are very limited which can make for a valuable item........ so, really, what do i know :D

3. Razz

Razz Member

Sully i agree for a part with u on the privymarks but some of the coins like the maple leaf privy snake 2013 have a different version this coin is reverse proof and so much nicer then the normal maple .

4. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I'm thinking the same. It's currently around 75 which is not so much considering the low mintage, although I would like to get it for less. :)

5. purple88

purple88 New Member

Yes I have looked and researched. The Somalia Monkeys was a poorly executed series minted by a private US mint to unexacting standards. They weren't easy on the eyes either.

From 1999-2003 Zambia procured the expert services of Germany's Bavarian State Mint to produce the Zambia Wildlife Series featuring Elephants on each coin. The depictions of the Elephants changed every year. There were proofs made, some gold coins, colored and gilded coins along with a variety of finishes from matte to proof.

The end of the Zambia Elephant Wildlife series was in 2003. It my humble opinion it's a very collectible series for multiple reasons, such as, the coin changes every year, Germany's finest (and oldest) mint created a tremendous coin applied their craftsmanship to a high degree.

Like any great story there's some fantastic tales to be told but it important enough to learn, appreciate and respect these coins for what they are. A beautiful highly prized piece of world modern semi-numismatic history uncovered. I would also make the assertion, like with similar cases, although none quite like this one really nails the collectability trifecta that so many coin collectors and hobbyists strive to un earth and discover.

6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've found a gold guided one for sale, apparently only 3000 in mintage,
    Anyone have any idea what it's worth? After a quick search have not found much.

7. Hawaiian Stacker

Hawaiian Stacker Member

What is the year? 2014's going from about 52$ to 68$, 2013's from 52$ to 66$ last time I checked.

8. purple88

purple88 New Member

If interested I have some Somalia and Zambia Elephants for sale. What I have available is listed in the USA and Canada section of Buy, Sell, Swap.

Thanks.

9. purple88

purple88 New Member

The Germans get the money not the Somalians.

10. purple88

purple88 New Member

If my post above (listing items for sale) is against the rules please politely tell me. I didn't find a rule against it on the forums.

If there is a rule against it I'm ebarrassed (I'm an idiot) and I apologize in advance. I'll delete my post asap.