What It's Like To Be Poor

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by fiatphoney, Nov 24, 2013.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    VODAfail
    When digital phones first came out ,I had a top of the line phone on $130 plan a month

The phone would turn of when on a call & wouldn't turn back on for hours :mad:
    Swapped for new phones 3 time in 1 month :rolleyes:
    Same problem , returned the last phone , paid for what I did use
    AND

For over 12 months they kept sending me bills :rolleyes:
    After receiving a bill for $1400 :mad:
    I rang , jumped up & down for months , they told me on the phone they had fixed the problem
    Bills still kept coming :mad:
    So I ring up again , jump up & down , got a fax number of the give a fuck department :D
    AND

I faxed them a bill for $1800 :D
    Stumped the person on the other end :lol: :lol: :lol:
    He asks how we can fix this :rolleyes:
    Told them to , send me a hands free kit & a battery for my new phone ;)
    They did & the bills stopped coming
    Whe the hands free kit arrived it was damaged in the mail :mad:

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I was with Kogan until they got shut down, I'm now with Aldi. Out of nowhere they halved the data limit from 5gb to 2.5gb, but you still get unlimited calls and texts to all numbers in Australia for $35.

TheEnd stop being a twat, I'm pretty sure we all went through your stupid expenses months ago. There is absolutely no reason for you to have internet or a landline if you're struggling financially. Ditch them both and get the Aldi deal. If you use up all of the internet you can get an extra 2gb for $15, but if you're just applying for jobs all day then you shouldn't need to. If you're smart you'll just go to places (e.g McDonald's) where you can use free wifi.

Since you don't have a job and don't go and talk to businesses yourself (you apply online and call agencies) there is no need for you to spend more than $20 per week on fuel to go shopping or whatever. Make sure you by whole foods and cook proper meals for yourself and your partner since you have a lot of free time anyway.

I am at uni full-time and also work. I get about $460 per week and pay $135 for rent (includes internet and other bills) in a share house. I am with Aldi but since I communicate mainly over facebook now I just have the $15 annual deal (just in case I need to call someone) and just add 2gb of data per month for $15 (so my mobile costs about $4 per week) I spend about $50 per week on petrol and about $100 on food. So that is about $290 per week for essentials and of the other $170 I save probably about $150 and then do something social once a week with my friends and/or girlfriend. Because I've decided to focus on enjoying life until I finish uni the money I'm saving will be going to travelling on a tight budget (lots of buses and couch surfing). Next week I'm off to America for 9 weeks, mid next year I'm going to Japan for about 3 weeks and then at the end of next year I'll hopefully travel around Europe.

There is no excuse for being so fiscally illiterate when you are a regular on a site such as this.

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:

4. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

We have to have a landline because my mother in law calls her friends after 7pm and talks for hours....$3 flat rate.

We have to have internet.....Minimum Telstra deal is 50GB for $70 per month so we can do online banking, search for jobs and all the rest.

I have said it before I live in the bush and have to travel AT LEAST 30 klms to the suburbs/industrial areas by car and there are NO Buses that travel down the big main road we have to take......I have checked online and there are NONE!

We also have a 2.5 yr old son so thers childcare fees every term and clothes, nappies, food etc for him. He really does'nt eat much at this age so that is good for now.

We do have one of the two cars for sale but its pretty old so will be hard to sell and we spent about 2k on it last year keeping it running and paid reg last month.

I am ringing V.P to cancel today and will also get the missus to cancel her Telstra mobile also. Its looking like the Aldi deal is the way to go!

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

If your wife had any sense you would not get ANY, until you got a job.

LYSISTRATA!

6. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Again, you need it like you "need" a jetski. It would be cheaper for you mother in law to use your mobile for free since you'll have unlimited calls with aldi.
    Like I said, if you're just doing banking/job applications you can do it through your phone. If you have a recent phone should even be able to set up a wifi hotspot and use you laptop.
    If you don't have a job you don't need childcare... Be smart, recognise your needs vs your wants and act accordingly.
    Don't travel that 30kms unless you have a job interview or are doing shopping then. Cut it down to like once a week. You run lpg so 100 km a week should cost like nothing.

7. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought you were doing warehouse work? You didn't quit again did you?

8. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Mate if you read my previous posts I worked hard all week and really cleaned the place up and did stock takes and all sorts.......Then friday at knock off they said things have gone quiet and they wont need me anymore!

9. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Just spoke to V.P again they're giving me a $20 discount for a few months.......Also changed the plan from unlimited calls to unlimited texts.

Now just gotta sort the missus contract.

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I hate using a bloody tiny little phone searching the net and doing banking its shit.......... Cant beat a PC with a normal screen..

I just got a phone call an hour ago about more operating work......Got an interveiw at 2.00pm........And yes while we are 'down the hill' we will do everything else we need to.

11. col0016

col0016 Active Member

You can set up a wifi hotspot and use your mobile phone's internet through your computer...
    Save money wherever you can bro.

12. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I doubt it would work properly where i am Col...I much prefer the ADSL 2....After our next Telstra bundle deal bill I will be re assessing if I can find a better deal through DoDo or TPG or any others.......And then Telstra will want a bloody exit fee :mad:

13. whitty

whitty Member

Checkout VoIP deals mate. MyNetFone have 10c untimed calls to landlines, no monthly fee if you sign up with the whirlpool saver https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool/VoIP/Plans/WhirlpoolSaver-Plan I think there is a setup fee these days but you get that back in credit or something.

I use VoIP for basically all my calls, and even my SMS from my phone which is just a telstra prepaid data SIM ($180/yr for 12GB but most of the credit is transferred to my wife's prepaid). I even use VoIP from my mobile most of the time on the rare occasion I make a phone call.

14. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

This thread should be renamed to What to do when you think your poor.

Poor IMO is when you wake up at sunrise with pangs of hunger in your stomach and prepare to fetch water, seek food and wood to keep warm for the next cold night ahead. Mow that is called survival of the poor.

If TIMES EVER GET BAD< then that is the end of the END.

REGARDS ERROL 43

15. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

16. whitty

whitty Member

Aren't poor and rich relative terms? So someone in Australia can be considered poor while the same situation in a 3rd world country might have them considered to be rich.

Gina thinks someone earning 60k is poor. someone earning 60k thinks someone earning 30k is poor and someone on 30k thinks pensioners are poor.

These days people are fixated on getting more money like it will fix everything, but if you're wasting the small amount of money you get then having more will mean you waste more and nothing changes.

17. whitty

whitty Member

18. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How unusual......they go to the trouble of obtaining the services of a job agency to hire someone and then they find they don't need them a week later. :/ Did they least offer you a reference for your next job application?

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Man, zerohedge is full of shit sometimes.

They quote a small except from a large report: "Review of social determinants and the health divide in the WHO European Region".

The WHO report was actually paraphrasing another report: Kentikelenis A et al. "Health effects of financial crisis: omens of a Greek tragedy published in the Lancet in 2011."

That paper stated:

The "Greek tragedy" paper was, in fact, paraphrasing another paper: "Report of the ad hoc expert group of the Greek focal point on the outbreak of HIV/AIDS in 2011."

That last paper from the Greek Documentation and Monitoring Centre for Drugs is where the claim originates and it states:

So, we go from Half Of New Greek HIV Cases Are Self-Inflicted To Receive 700 Per Month Benefits, Study Finds to "An additional factor...worth considering is the well-founded suspicion that some problem users are intentionally infected with HIV".

Short version: We don't know for sure, but it's possible junkies might be f***king themselves up for better drugs or money.

WHO'd have thought it?

20. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

I get it now, it's TheEnd of on topic SS threads.