Importing to UK Duty& VAT on Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silverstack, Nov 22, 2013.

1. silverstack

silverstack New Member

Hey Guys new to the forum which I've spent quite some time reading through and trying to find info regarding importing silver coins & bars to the UK

I was looking at Perth Bullion (Bullion Bourse) in Auz

I'm buying from Atkinsons at present and you UK guys know how much the new website has cost customers... so I need a new supplier

Looked at coininvest but with German VAT set to increase I'm looking long term for my stack purchases

So importing looks the best bet.

Found this article on the forum but it does not really give any conclusion

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...n-numismatic-coins-into-the-uk-is-not-20.html

Do UK guys have suggestions or can post you the process or info for importing silver for a novice?

Started stacking in Jan 13 and love it... this is the best, wish I'd started years ago

Hope you can help

2. kiwi_stacker_uk

kiwi_stacker_uk New Member

Hi silverstack. I have learnt the hard way trying to buy silver outside of Europe. You will most definitely have to pay 20% VAT on any silver imported. For now the best option is from Germany. I'm still thinking about what to do next year but I might start stacking gold then.

The other option is when abroad load up the suitcase as much as is reasonable.

3. silverstack

silverstack New Member

Hey Kiwi thanks for the response, so would you say coininvest would offer the best price when buying in 20 or 40oz for now?

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Anything you buy from outside the EU will cost you 20% VAT although there is a tarriff for numismatics that is lower but good luck in arguing your case with customs. There are threads on this process on this forum. I buy from German coin dealers and only pay 7% VAT. Bars are 19% though. After the New Year the VAT rate in Germany will rise on coins so best buy now. Silver prices are very low compared to past couple of years so perhaps a great time to jump in. Atkinsons is perhaps the cheapest in the UK and look out for bargains and offers. I just ordered UK Lunar horse 2014 in Germany and adding the costs of shipping etc. compared to Atkinsons saved ~2 per coin. Not a big saving but it soon makes a difference if you become a serious stacker.

5. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

Its possible to get cheaper.

Keep searching you will find it.

People mostly play their cards close to their chest so they can make a buck.

Google vat silver to uk....come back and tell me you have 14ish an oz. Good luck

6. olifrated

olifrated Active Member Silver Stacker

Does anyone know if there is a limit for taking silver back into the country ( uk )

I am originally from there and when I eventually go back for a visit I may take some back with me

7. ArgentaLupa

ArgentaLupa New Member

What's the current problem with Atkinsons?

8. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Expect to pay 20% VAT as you pass through the red channel declaring your stash.
    I assume if it is a large amount say $5000 or more then you will most likely need paperwork to prove you are the legitimate owner.
    If it is a small amount - check the personal gift allowance it doesn't have to be declared.

9. agaubullion

agaubullion New Member

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

why dont you just stick to gold it is VAT free.