How do you prevent your rounds/coins from moving inside the tube?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by khmerog, Nov 21, 2013.

1. khmerog

khmerog New Member

When I ordered my tubes of Silver Rounds they came with either Styrofoam or the brown packaging paper inside them to prevent them from rattling inside the tubes. I was wondering what should I put in on top of the rounds to prevent them from moving around (obviously I try not to shake them). I am worried that the Styrofoam or the brown packaging may damage or leave marks on the rounds in the long run. I have removed them and put in a piece of cotton (from an old CLEANED boxer briefs). I want my silver to look nice from day one to 10 years from now. Please look at the photos and tell me what you use or shouldn't use. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do I make the pictures smaller on the posts? I hope I don't get in trouble for that..

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're soooo cute! Don't think styrofoam or brown packaging would have any adverse affect on the rounds. I use toilet tissue. The dimpled 4 ply stuff, none of that Coles Homebrand 1ply sandpaper rubbish.

Or you could just put another round on top... that's worked for me when I'm putting 50's in those tubes.

Your silver could easily oxidize/tarnish within a year so wouldn't be all too overly concerned or protective of it. Some of my Scottsdale Stackers are already browning up and I've only had them about 6m.

Your images are fine, chose 'thumbnail' next time for smaller pics though most bigger is better :D

3. khmerog

khmerog New Member

You are smart!! When the economic world collapses I will have silver for bartering and toilet paper for No. 2.

But really? after 6 months your Scottsdale starts to tarnish? I want to buy some Scottsdale rounds and bars but the premium is high especially for a silver bullion. Most of my rounds are the ones on Provident Metal and luckily I don't see any signs of tarnishing yet. But I've only been stacking for about a year. I read somewhere that "milky spots" happen due to the cleaning solution + cold weather, is why the Silver Maple Leafs are notorious for that. Should I be worried about my silver developing those spots since they will be in the "cold" bank. I try not to be over-protective on how my coins look like but when I see graded coins be worth more than 2x the price of silver I think differently.

Thanks.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Exactly, practical and convenient ;)

It's probably more to do where I'm storing them and wrapping tape around them while they were in transit. All the other ones are fine except these 12. Top one is the worst and thankfully the rest aren't too bad. You usually get back the premium you paid when you sell.

The milk spots are caused by the planchet cleaning and preparation process, some residue crap gets baked in. Not sure about the cold weather aspect as some people in Aus are already noticing milk spots on their lunar Dragons from about 2 years ago. Sounds like your coins are mostly non-RCM so you should be alright on the milk spot front.

5. khmerog

khmerog New Member

Alright thanks for the heads up.

6. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

My opinion is: coins won't "move" by themselves, because they don't live.

I don't know why they make those tubes like that. Why they don't seal well.
    There shouldn't be that much space there...

Put some polyurethane foam pieces in there. They're some of the best for this situation!

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I would be concerned about plastics and paper products inside the tube as you just don't know what chemicals / solvents can leech out in time. I always remove the styro bean used in shipping as I really don't know in 10 years what contaminants will be in the tube to tarnish the silver. If you are not fiddling with your tubes then leave them sitting on a shelf and the coins will not rattle around so no problemo !