Semi-Numis vs bullion ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by errol43, Nov 16, 2013.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

In recent days, I have noticed the great prices sellers are receiving for 37 crowns..Buyers have been offering around the $40 mark..Now there is just under .9oz in a crown..Now that brings the SP up to spot been around the $44oz mark. Now even when silver was spot #$30/35 mark, you could still buy crowns around the $35/40 mark.

Also look at how the prices for the SS Pennies and Rams have moved up with a minni rush on every time they are offered..That is understandable as there is no too many of them out there.

Now for the 66 fifty rounds..Prices are around the $9 mark..I can well remember Auspm advising members when silver was booming and heading for $20oz, don't pay anymore than .50 cents a coin more, was his advice.

Kangaroos that were bought for spot around the $38/40 are still getting $40 today. In other words their price is holding.

Now to bullion.. If you stack say 10oz bars, then if you bought at $35 spot + 10%, you would have paid $385 . If you were selling today with the same 10% surcharge you would be selling at around $255.

Is it because here on SS we have 6000 + members today compared with 600 in the early days. More buyers chasing fewer coins keeping the prices of coins higher than they were in the past.

So now, is it the way to go and buy coins instead of bullion?

Be interesting to hear your take on coins up against bullion. BTW I have both.:)

Regards Errol 43

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

My philosophy is to diversify whenever possible and not stick to only 1 type of pm product.

As a general rule for myself, I tend to stay away from blobs (common, non-denom bullion bars) when I believe the spot price is still yet to tumble. When it hits what I believe is the bottom (or close to it), that's when I buy some blobs. All other times it's a mix of bullion coins and semi-numis whenever I can find what I believe to be a good price.

I am not in the camp of the doomsdayer / permabulls. I know that in the US gold and silver are assets, not money.

3. Byron

Byron Guest

IMO people are overpaying for the crowns.

Sure do it if you want a speculative investment but most bullion shops will probably only give you spot.

That's were bullion is handy. Buy near spot, sell near spot quickly without stuffing around with bank transfers, postage etc.

4. ArgentaLupa

ArgentaLupa New Member

I heard some very good advice on youtube: 'Match your buying strategy to your selling strategy'

If you want to sell individual coins on ebay and make a bit of a premium, then semi numismatic are the way to go. But if you want to sell quick and/or in bulk to dealers then bullion is preferable. I tend to stick to bullion, but sometimes pick up a handful of semi numismatic just to have a bit of variety.

5. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

I can see that many contributors to SS play their cards very close to their chest ((and that is not a criticism at all) but those that talk about their strategy all seem to go for bullion as the 'bread and butter". Personally, as my superannuation hedge, I am about 75% downright ugly to 25% pretty ratio. In the pretty range are a few older Kooks etc that seem to maintain their popularity.

6. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

I had no idea that when I first decided to start stacking silver what it would lead to. My initial plan was to add as many ounces as I could when I could. Now I tend to favor things like Morgan, Peace and have almost completed a Franklin half collection. I do however still add bullion regularly even added a tiny amount of that ugly yellow metal. I like silver dollars because they do sell for a decent premium. This is just my opinion but I feel in the years to come they will even sell for more of a premium because there will be less available. So this gives them silver value, possibly numi value and if things get really bad a one dollar value(not one of those SHTF guys) but you just never know. OH! what the hell am I saying I LOVE IT ALL!!

7. mgo10000

mgo10000 New Member

I prefer silver that has the potential to gain in value beyond the underlying spot price. That's why Lunars, Pandas and the more attractive rounds and bars have my attention. I've been dabbling in silver and watching the prices on Ebay for the last two years. The premiums have been holding up on the numis and the well know rounds and bars as the price of silver has gone down.

One Example: Junk US silver consistently sells for above spot price on Ebay.

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Everything sells above normal on feebay. I would question the value of investing in Pandas now. Lunars, pre 2012 dragons and Pandas pre 2010/2011 were the two best buys. Now there are too many Pandas being minted and too many being faked. You can see the effect on Panda prices on ebay. Yennus will jump in and tell you how few Pandas there are for the Chinese population. Guess what, they are not buying a lot of Pandas or there would be a bunch more minted. And if the PM keeps issuing Lunars at spot plus $15 or so, I am not sure that there is a bullion coin that will be a worthwhile semi numismatic investment. Glad my silver buying days are pretty much over and I am even converting some semi numi silver into gold.

9. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

RRight!
    that's why increase from 600K to 8mil is not "bunch more minted" ... bunch more should be 8 billion :lol:

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

8 million Pandas and 1.xx billion Chinese. Now tell me how many other mints have increased their mintage in the last few years? Would that be all of them? I guess there is no chance that foreigners are buying the additional Pandas? You guys need to get over the Chinese are going to gobble up Pandas theory. If they haven't by now, why would they later?

11. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I know at least 5 guys who started collecting pandas this year (coz I sold them 2013 pandas, and then 2011-12). So, here's a fact that foreigners buying pandas. Beliefs and reality are two different things, and I'm not talking about guesses here ))

I have no idea how many mints increased the mintage ...coz I don't care - I buy what I like ... 90% of the time (even more often) what I like rises in value, including pandas.

Now, tell me what coin with mintage of 8 million (except 2012 panda) sells on eBay for more than $35?
    That's the answer for your "Chinese are going to gobble up Pandas theory".

Stop comparing price action of semi-numiz without looking at spot - so compare semi-numiz to: a) ASE/Maples/Libertads; b)Numismatic coins. Any other ways to compare lemons with lamb will lead to wrong conclusion. No one told that if one buys panda at $30, the one would enjoy the same value of panda if spot drops to $11 ... but smart people telling one good thing - the longer you hold this kind of coin the higher it goes. You know why??? Yeeeees, coz it is semi-numiz, baby. ;)

P.S.Telling what will happen in the future is a speculation as no one, NO ONE has a crystal ball.