Joe Hockey speaks the truth!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Nov 13, 2013.

1. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Finally we agree on something CJ! Mate you are LUCKY to have that solar system and your parents too......One day eventually i will get there myself.

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BHP is a little over 60% (majority) foreign owned (according to BHP), Rio Tinto is about 85% (majority) foreign owned (according to Rio Tinto) and as you say, GlencoreXstrata is a British-Swiss company that isn't even listed here. Maybe some of us have indirect exposure to them via a managed fund or something.

The majority of the mining industry (not the mining services industry mind you) is foreign owned and has been for a very long time. We all know Australia imports loads of capital to get things built because there isn't enough of it here (perhaps because we're all too busy ploughing ours into real estate) so this shouldn't come as a massive shock to anyone.

The point is that those big, foreign owned mining companies make their money selling our dirt and as a 1/22,500,000,000th owner of that dirt I for one reckon it's worth more than we're selling it to them for in as-is, dig-it-up-yourself condition. I have absolutely no doubt the mining companies think the best way to spend the money is on paying it to their mostly overseas shareholders and they're not going to pay us a cent more than they absolutely have to unless someone in government decides to charge them more.

I've got no problem at all with the miners making money, but I'm pissed that the knuckleheads in the supposedly "prudent economic management" party have the gall to say "Oh noes, teh money is running out and you'll all have to deal with it" when six months ago they were saying everything was just fine and dandy. "No, no, don't take a little bit extra during the boom times and invest it for a sweet little income stream when things aren't so great. That's a really bad idea".

I mean, seriously: you don't have to be an economic genius to work that one out, yet Joe somehow failed to pick up on it and we subsequently elected him Treasurer of the Commonwealth Government of Australia.

3. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Big A.D. how did I know your uber-biased comments would show up here? You are dead set taking the piss when you even remotely suggest that Labor, had their tax even raised anything, would have invested a red cent into an income stream for when things aren't so great. You know that every cent of that money was spent and then some, well before it hit the coffers. And 99% of it was being spent on crap to get re-elected. STOP TALKING BULLSHIT!

If you want more than your share of 30% of the profits, plus the royalties for any mine that hasn't already been started and underway........ YOU go raise a billion dollars, YOU put everything on the line and YOU get off your ass and go find something to dig out of the ground and sell to the market.

4. Lovey80

Those same schemes are a large part of the reason electricity prices are so high. Everyone that missed out on the housing boom handouts that can't afford to buy a house before those schemes ended are now in a position where they are pushing shit up hill to save a deposit, all they while they are paying for the solar panel schemes of those that already have a house.

And Labor claims to be about the little guy. LMFAO

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am one of the "little guys" and I have a house, solar pannels and looking to buy my first investment house soon so it is still very possible today.

6. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

^^ +200billion

7. Court Jester

lol nice

8. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

That does not say much now does it?

The increase in the debt ceiling is to pay for everything which Labor had already past during its 6 years in office. The economy is like an oil tanker - still going on due to massive momentum in the wrong direction charted by Labor ...
    It will take time for the Coalition to turn it around, but they are making good progress thus far.

They've already made some good savings and are doing many of the right things in my opinion.

9. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

Not too sure about that one. From what i've seen so far the Libs are taking the scissors to a whole heap of useless government departments and beaurocrats which will - in the medium term - bring down government expenses considerably.

I reckon they're on the right track and doing a good job so far.

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I don't car about Abbotts budgy smugglers......As long as he runs the country efficiently I will be happy!

11. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

Sounds more like you're one of the "little fish" swimming in a "big pond" to me.

12. Court Jester

I would say almost all of us on here are.

13. tychondus

tychondus New Member

Hi TheEnd, are you able to take a photo or scan a copy of the article and upload it to a cloud storage? i would very much like to read this article.

14. Lovey80

What about the kid leaving school right now that's about to start an apprenticeship? The liberal schemes that pushed houses into a bubble put him behind the 8 ball to start with let alone the helium that Rudd added. He's not in the market with equity now. But to get there he has to save up for a deposit for an over inflated house all the while he is paying off your electricity bill so you can afford your investment property.

I doubt the Libs will do anything about house prices(likely to make them worse) and the horse has bolted on rediculous 44-56c rebate schemes that are already locked in for 20 years. What about that little guy?

15. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Yep.....They have well and truly screwed it this time! Thank god they have decided to raise apprenticeship pay.....Too many of them saying turtle this its too hard!

I remember when i was an apprentice i think i was getting like $180 a week as first year.....$80 of that was spent just on petrol to get to work.....And that was in 1990!

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Ummm. we have scanned it and copied it to desktop..... Cant work out how to copy it to the page tho?

17. Court Jester

nope dont feel sorry for him,

if he picks his apprenticeship correctly he will be earning more than me in 5 years time, and will be albe to save for a deposit easily enough if he does not piss all his $$$ away. Just like I would not expect a uni student to own a house nor would I am apprentice, mid to low 20's they could easily enough enter the housing market.

18. Lovey80

Your missing the point mate. He shouldn't have to go through all that extra hardship because you were born 10 years earlier! No need to feel sorry for him, next time someone tells you they got their first job just say thanks for paying my electricity bill for me.

19. tychondus

tychondus New Member

Could you please try and upload it to this site http://imgbox.com/ and post the link here. If that doesnt work i can try and find another site.

20. Court Jester

WTF do you mean by EXTRA hardship?

IN the last 100 years I very much doubt any apprentice would have been able to afford a house, while on on an apprentice wage/.

there i no Extra hardship? They will get the $$ when their education and experience allows for it, the way it has ALWAYS been and always will be unless you are part of the privileged few.