Kookaburras

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Fiat = Ponzi, Jun 17, 2011.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I have an email from the Perth mint that said once the declared mintage was declared, then they would not mint any more. Am I missing something? For example, if there are 84.000 2004's declared, that's it, they ain't minting any more. Correct?

2. sandi

sandi New Member

Yes you are right.
    But I will buy the silver Kookaburras 2008 from a private person, and I will know if 31 for 1 oz. is a good price?
    What do you mean?

3. barsenault

Bob A says:
    March 8, 2013 at 10:29 am
    One last question, not about nuemismatics, but about bullion. I have a lot of kook bullion coins collected over the years. I see that many years have not been sold out. It is kind of a bummer, that if one bought a lot of 1994s back in 1994 and a little beyond, but here it is in 2013, you can still mint 1994s. Heck, the 1994s can continue to be minted for years and years to come until the allotment of 300k is filled. Am I the only one who thinks that kook, kook? Granted this isn't a nuemismatic investment, but lets be frank, we are paying a premium for those coins, so there is at least a semi nuemismatic value to the coin, yes? I would think the person who bought in 1994 wasn't thinking the 1994 would still be sold in 2030. Crazy right?

Louis says:
    March 8, 2013 at 11:04 am
    My understanding is the mint has indicated it will not being doing any reminting anymore, so there is no need to worry.

Blog Team says:
    March 8, 2013 at 11:07 am
    Hi Bob

Well there has been a lot of debate about this recently! In response, we changed our policy earlier this year and you can read Ron Currie's announcement on our bullion blog here.

Take a look at the Bullion Mintage page and open the relevant document and you will see that we have also Declared mintages for all Kookaburra bullion coins issued between 1990 and 2012.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Blog team

- See more at: http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2013/03/07/perth-mint-declares-final-mintages/#comments

4. Sully

Sully Member

Yes, 31 is a very good deal for this. I would expect to pay at least 45, closer to 50 perhaps.

5. barsenault

Recent email confirmation for newbies about declared value of coins.

Good afternoon Bob,

Thank you for your enquiry. As per our mintage policy (http://www.perthmint.com.au/mintage_policy.aspx), once we have declared the mintage, production is closed off for the coin and no further coins may be minted.

I would need more information to confirm your mintage number below, however our mintages for bullion are kept at http://www.perthmint.com.au/investment-bullion-bars-and-coins-mintages.aspx and the mintage for the 1oz Silver kookaburra for 2004 was declared at 84,455.

Kind regards,

Aaron Gibbs
    Customer Service Officer
    The Perth Mint
    P: +61 08 9421 7313
    F: +61 08 9225 5012
    E: [email protected]
    W: www.perthmint.com.au

6. 223150steve

223150steve New Member

Did the square capsules stop in 1999? And re-mints for these years turn up in rounds? And if that's the case is total mintage 300k for both?
    Thanks