first time I have ever been Kicked out of a Coin Show!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by silverbulldog, Oct 28, 2013.

1. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Look, youngblood - if you're going to do a job at least do it properly - no mention of streaking thru the venue hopping from table to table dodging security or pissing in the fountain out front...

Sheesh - the kids today...

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^

hehe.... or lick the top off an icecream cone onto a display case! :lol:

3. ausau

ausau Active Member Silver Stacker

Exclaim in a loud voice "this coin's old and dirty" and then try and spit and polish it clean.

4. OneDay

OneDay Active Member Silver Stacker

or simply ride a pit bike into the coin show.

5. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Walk around with your fly down with your bits hanging out and then when people tell you your fly is down smirk and wink and say "I know, my name is John what's your name?"

6. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

haha thanks for all the posts guys I actually could not sleep last night because I was thinking about what a dick the guy was.

I have already talked with several dealers and I am communicating directly with the President of the organization who put on the show. I figure he should know if I regular customer who brings guests as well as spends a good bit of cash at every show was kicked out because the dealer could not put his ego aside.

I do admit maybe I was in the wrong at some point buy standing too close to his case but that does not call for rude and offensive behavior the dealer displayed.

The other reason I made this thread is I figured I cannot be the only one with this type of negative experience at a show.

7. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

thanks for your input. As I train my sales folks I teach them if a buyer is rude to "fall on the sword" meaning you swallow your pride and get over your ego in order to make a sale and build the relationship for the future business you can do. If someone treats me in a way that I am not happy with I say " I must have screwed something up and I apologize can we start over?"

My best guess would be that this dealer is not very successful with the attitude he brings to the table. Being successful in business has a lot to do with your attitude. A positive attitude will take you to the bank. A negative attitude will put you out on the streets.

The next time this show comes around I will not be going or inviting my Dad and his friends who buy several Troy OZ of .999 Gold.

The last show I brought some people with me and combined we dropped about $20K. Good luck getting any of my money after this little sequence of events.

8. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The thing I love and I am sure people who want sales must hate. If you walk into somewhere in sandals, cheap shirt and shorts some sales people will not give you the time of day. They may look down at you and think you can't afford to buy anything. They'll not give you the time of day but they don't know that you have $10,000.00 - $15,000.00 cash on you to spend.
    If people are rude and look down on you walk out, you go somewhere and someone is friendly you may end up spending $120,000.00 - $130,000.00 with them over a period of time.
    I do not sell stuff but I would say to anyone who does treat every customer as if they are going to spend some big coin and occasionally the person you expect may spend a hundred could spend a hundred thousand or more....

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

^^^^ any good salesman will tell you the #1 rule Never pre-judge the customer :)

10. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Yes that's exactly right. My older brother owns several companies and has a seat on the board of Trade in Chicago at the Mercantile Exchange. He is 32 years old and has done very well for himself.

He went into several dealerships to buy a new car in Chicago. He went into BMW in flip flops, shorts, & a white t-shirt they did not even look up or talk to him. He went down the street to Audi in the same outfit and a sales manager walked up to him and started to ask him questions.

To make a long story short he bought a brand new Audi Q7 S-Line with upgraded 20" Rims & running boards which was probably a $70,000 sale.

good point as well by the above OP...you never know who the person is until you find out. You cannot qualify or disqualify until you go through the qualifying process. You need to find out first.

11. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

like they did recently with oprah in zurich switzerland when she asked to see a $55000 bag. The guy didnt recognise her and said something along the lines you cant afford that one lol

12. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

Had a mate years ago wanted to but a twin engined aircraft.
    Walked in with shorts and thongs and asked for a test flight.
    The salesman told him to bugger off so he asked him what it was worth.
    Went and got a suitcase filled with the amount, walked in and dropped it on the counter and said,"now can we have that test flight"
    "Come this way sir" was the reply.

I guess money really does talk.

13. itin

itin Member

I'm 47, but look pretty young.

Sometimes seems if you don't have gray hair and aren't wearing a suit vendors don't want to talk to you,
    never realizing you may have several thousand dollars in your pocket.

I've met the this guy way too many times at coin shows, LCSs, flea markets, yard sales and toy stores.

He always talks down to me.

He never gets my business.

[​IMG]

14. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

There are two sides to every story... just sayin'.

I tend to only buy where I receive good customer service (not just coins, anything). Dealers can be a bit 'eclectic', especially some of the older blokes that look like they've been transplanted out of the 19th century.

15. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

16. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Yes this pretty much describes the guy to a T.

I have made the decision to support my LCS who treats me well and I am willing to pay a bit more money to feel good about where my money goes. I currently support several small business owners and the biggest one i support is family owned and operated. They pay fair prices and sell at fair prices. The customer service is top notch and now they even hold coins for me If they know I will like it.

For example any Pandas that come through the door or any Australian Lunars they will not show to anyone until I look first. This has been a great business relationship for them and for me. I do probably $500-$750/month minimum with them sometimes more. Slow and steady wins the race right

17. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

of coarse there are always two sides but in this case I quoted him word for word so you can see I am probably at fault for being a dick but he was the dealer and I am the customer.

I am sure you appreciate good customer service and as a business owner I strive to provide my customers/clients with the best and friendliest service possible.

With that being said of coarse we make mistakes but we do not attack our customers or try to tell them they don't know what they are talking about.

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Doesn't matter, his loss.
    Build a bridge etc etc.
    Don't lose sleep cause its not worth it.

19. plata

plata Member Silver Stacker

A nice story:
    an Indian gentleman came to my brother's real estate office- dressed in shorts and sandals-, none of the three reps who were there bothered to dedicate time to him. My brother whom just arrived to the office, asked him if he could helped him,........the gentleman bought two three bedroom apartments off the plan on the spot, around $1.5m.
    I do agree whith the above quote. never pre judge.

20. millededge

millededge Active Member

Not exactly. The actual story is not exactly favourable to O. Though, never let the truth get in the way, as they say.