Fake 2014 Lunar Horses on Alibaba/Aliexpress

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by VRS, Oct 26, 2013.

1. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mongrels, since it has a value in Aus dollar and currency can the mint push to have them arrested in China?

3. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Credit to the seller he has written in the descriprion in capitals and bold text that it is NOT SOLID SILVER.
    I guess if buyers arn't going to read the descriptions in a listing then they really should not be purchacing online. Stick to you local coin shop if you can't be bothered reading a full listing of an item for sale on the internet.

4. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

Credit to the seller...

Had to record this before an edit.
    Yes they openly sell fakes as a business.
    Like saying credit to the plastic rice manufacturers who labeled their wares to the food packaging companies.

Anyone who would buy Pandas, when all sorts of fakes are coming from China, is supporting this unpoliced racket.

5. VRS

Hmmm - yes but it is a copy of a legal tender coin, no, so matter for AFP at the very least?

This isn't about 'someone not bothering to read' an ad properly - this is wholesale selling and I surmise not intended for retail end-users. No guarantee at all whether anyone reselling would bother to include the trifling detail that they aren't actually silver - aka 'passing off as' something which they aren't, y'see?

I've copied the link to Bron anyways.

6. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is like selling fake $50 notes in bulk saying "they are fake $50 notes" what do you think they are going to be used for? They will be sold as real on eBay within a week for $70 and some poor bugger is going to get ripped off......

7. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

if it has $1 face value not matter if it solid silver or not - it is money fake and should be prosecuted if there're no marks on the round that it is copy or replica.
    couple of days ago there was article on yahoo finance about changes in consumer laws in CHina - from now one the seller is going to be more more responsible from now on ... and I think this particular seller should be reported to officials in China ... the sooner it happens the better for everybody

as of the actual rounds - I think the quality is very poor, that's why they pictured real coins but will sell piece of crap

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Anyone importing these to Australia (for ANY purpose) is committing a federal offence. One of our members here ran afoul of the AFP simply for doing destructive testing on a fake coin and posting the video to YouTube.

9. 223150steve

223150steve New Member

I hope they get busted.....it's a low act even though they say not solid silver as we all know what's going to happen with them.

10. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

The Perth mint should get involved bigtime and prosecute these scumbags,surely they are breaking Perth mints copyright/design patents, not to mention copying a legal currency and as VRS said if they enter the secondary market the people who pass these on will conveniently forget to tell the unsuspecting buyer they are coloured brass.
    I doubt anyone here would be caught out but new buyers to silver bullion may be.

11. VRS

12. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

One of my friends purchase some shoes there and he said they looks/feels like original ones. :)

13. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

in the tekst title the coins are names Clad, that's fake Silver. Always a good reminder to read the advert very good before buying.

14. VRS

:rolleyes:

I think we've already established that buddy ;)

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There is a huge misconception made by some stackers. These stackers wrongly believe that the only possible use for well made replica coins is for the purpose of others reselling them as real. This is not true at all. There is at least one other excellent use that I can think of for well made replicas - to use as decoys in your own home. Of course anyone knowingly selling fake coins as real should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law but I see well made replicas serving a beneficial purpose and if no laws are being broken, I have no problem with replicas being sold as replicas.

16. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Doesn't make them innocent for me. They know people will buy them to sell as the real thing, so they are guilty too and should be arrested. How would people feel if fake medications were being sold on the open market? The sale of these rounds damages the lunar brand. Glad I don't own any silver horses.

Personally, if I were in charge, the Chinese Government would be given warning that for every fake seller they are notified of and don't shut down, another product is embargoed to other countries. Selling fake coins, then new Panda coins are banned for sale in Western countries. Start banning enough of their products and they will shut down the fake sellers. China depends upon selling to other countries, so while they might retaliate some, they know they lose a trade war.

17. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Unless they show some differentiation, they are illegal, period. Try printing copies of $100 bills and selling them as replicas. See how long it is before the FBI arrests you.

And having decoys just tells someone you have stuff worth finding. Once they find out the coins are fake, they will come back for the real thing.

18. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You misunderstand me...I am against illegal activity...if someone tries to sell fakes as real then it's illegal...I'm against it.

As for your claim that decoys just tells someone you have stuff worth finding, that's absurd. Some of the imitation coins I have seen are so well made that even an expert will have a very difficult time distinguishing from the real unless they take it out of the capsule and test it. When a burglar breaks into your house, trust me, they are not going to bring their acid test kit and their XRF equipment and take their time to take coins out of capsules to test them to try to verify if real or not...that's just silly thinking. The decoys look and feel like the real thing to almost anyone...especially if they are just grabbing stuff quickly out of a decoy hiding spot or decoy safe. Your claim that decoys just give burglars more reason to think you have stuff worth finding is silly thinking.

Of course, if the decoy you use is clearly a poor quality imitation, then a very knowledgeable thief will be able to spot the fake and may have some reason to believe that somewhere else on the property, there could be actual pm's secured away. But I'm not talking about poor quality fakes...I'm talking about the stuff coming out of China that fools even experts unless they test it with acids or specialized equipment.

19. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

When I was buying Adidas shoes I came across many (Chinese) which were selling "original" shoes. I've contacted Adidas for every store I was interested in and they replied me whether store is on their list of "trusted" stores. Same thing should be applied to silver stores. There should be some certificates of something similar.

Today basically everyone can have its own shop. Online stores are very easy to set up, you only need room and some money to start. With more people available to doing so also more "schmucks" come into business.

I agree with anonmiss. You can't blame store if you haven't read description. There are many Scottsdale replica bars on eBay (at least EU sites) and you can get "caught" easily if you don't read description (or don't see that some details are missing).

And some Chinese stores are selling stuff much cheaper because are located near production facilities. If you think that 100$ shoes are really worth 100$...

Under product details there are many interesting things. :D :D

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

ML, you are wrong. If they are identical to the real coin, the rounds are illegal per se. Counterfeiting is a felony in the US. Again, photocopy some $100 bills and advertise them for sale as replicas. You will be getting a visit from your local FBI agent.

As for your disagreeing with the value of the fakes, people have tried doing so and it didn't work like you want to believe. If you do a board search, you will see that this subject has been discussed before.