Melbourne ANDA Show

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by xrayspecs, Oct 17, 2013.

1. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

They definitely were selling Mongolian Wildlife and Tiffany Glass. I didn't say you'd be able to pick one up at issue price, but I was hoping we could pick one up at a price less than the ridiculous prices they sell for on eBay :rolleyes:

They had Tiffany from 2013, 2012 & 2011. I think 2013 was AUD$695 and 2012 & 2011 were $895, which is certainly cheaper than a lot of eBay prices

Mongolian Wildlife they had was 2013 Argali ($295), 2012 Hedgehog ($649) and 2011 Ural Owl ($595)

They also had the gold-plated Mongolian Nature Crying Wolf coin for $199

2. Scyb

Scyb Member Silver Stacker

^ Thats great prices. Lucky I didnt go then. Would have been tempted to picked up the owl and a tiffany....

3. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

Agreed, with only 20-30 people at the talks we couldn't justify that in the future

Problem is that will those international exhibitors come back given the turnout?

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What international exhibitors ? apart from CIT
    The others were there with help from Downies :rolleyes:
    NO ADVERTISING anywhere of any kind :rolleyes:
    No signage to let people know where it was on
    Very poor effort on ANDA's behalf

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

6. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Location, location, Location - was crap. Mongrel place to drive in to.
    Was going to catch the coach in straight to southern cross station, but it came thru town about 3 mins to early so I missed it while buying my ticket at the newsagent!!! Oh well, stiff cheddar, no loss by the sounds of it.
    To drive in $50.00 diesel + parking + entry + lunch + sitting in smelly city traffic at TRAFFIC LIGHTS - lol something I dont miss at all!

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Show itself was fine - it was definitely a signage problem though to find it from the outside, and was underpatronised.

Funny to watch the PNC crowd stampede past the booth on their way to the Australia Post booth at opening time each morning.

8. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Shame to hear Bron say only about 30 odd people at the talk - for that number he could just come to a stacker meeting!
    Obviously ANDA need to make some signs!!!
    Oh well theres always next year, maybe ANDA could spend a few months brainstorming on how to make it bigger and better - make some signs too!

9. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would say lack of advertising is one. I only received my flyer (being on the mailing list) 7 dats before the show.

Mrs bloomst need to approve my pass 4 weeks prior...lol

10. mistered

mistered Member

It was sorta confusing with two ANDA shows so close together. :rolleyes:

I prefer the Caulfield venue too. Free parking, and lots of chairs to sit down and browse through the coins, chat with the dealers etc. Just a more relaxed vibe :)

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Well if no one posted a more detailed description on this forum I think I would have had a hard time finding it. Great weather though, and amazing seeing etihad stadium empty

12. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Did the Royal Mint, ROyal Post and CRM actually flew from overseas? I can't believe they don't even bring Brit 2013...proof/type set...the stock look like come out from LCS stock?

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can't afford the excess baggage, those coins are made from metal you know, very heavy, probably brought over about 20kg + 7kg of stuff each.

Plus I think they just sold the Royal Mail in the UK, I am not sure the shareholders would be happy about RM employees going to Australia on 'business'.

14. Jcoin

Jcoin New Member

Couldn't have been more central imo. You know, being in the CBD an all, a 2 minute walk from Southern Cross station. Obviously if you live out in the country everywhere will be a "mongrel place to drive in to".

15. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

Yeah I've got to say the location was superb. Very central, spacious, well presented. Caulfield looks like a homeless shelter by comparison, the presentation looks like a sunday country market there.

I loved the way this ANDA was set up, but I agree that signage was a real problem. They probably would have gotten a lot more "people off the street" if there had been clearer signage and more advertising.

16. L4A

L4A Member

Well this was my first ever coin show and I must say I really enjoyed being able to see those collections of coins and bank notes and meeting all those dealers from around the world.

Also felt a bit sorry for the guys who did those presentations about the gold market and gold confiscation, but as one of them said at least they had a 'small enthusiastic crowd rather than a large uninterested crowd".

But yeah I think more people would have come if it had been advertised better. Maybe if they had BIG signs at Southern Cross or people giving out flyers outside the Myki machines.