An old proverb says that even dead cats bounce

Discussion in 'Gold' started by mmissinglink, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

2. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Just wondering if you're still waiting :)

- From the article...looks like Sam Kirtley doesn't know what he's talking about..

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Yes Dustin, always waiting for that awesome opportunity to buy...doesn't mean I don't pick on the cookies while I'm waiting for the main course. :)

4. The Road Home

The Road Home Member

Yes I agree, although we drink from the same fountain.

5. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

As good as $1000 an ounce might sound, it in itself will present some serious issues......I am more interested in the mining companies and most will be struggling to survive at below production cost. A small push to the mid $900 mark would also be a possibility so the feeling at the time would be as though the bull market in gold is over......the next issue would be price recovery time.....I would want a reasonably constant price rise out of the bottom which would mean a time frame equal to the time it took to get from 1900 down 1000 ( 3 years roughly ) before the parabolic move slowly generates.......remember the biggest parabolas have the broadest base.....this is what Martin Armstrong is suggesting when he stresses the importance of a major pullback in price being necessary for the bigger blow-off to occur in the long run.

6. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

No Bounce in Sight for the US$

7. tolly_67

The U.S. dollar is still a better bet than the Euro, the Yen. the Renmimbi, the Pound etc, etc.......they are all shit but it is the degree to which they smell.....at the moment, the u.S. dollar is the least pungent and I don't think it will be long and it will rise again....for a period that is......until it is the stinkiest.
    Too many are waiting for a fall in the u.s. dollar....this is a good sign that it isn't going to happen just yet because the majority normally get it wrong....just like when they will get it wrong some time in the future when the u.s. dollar hits an all time high and everyone is busting for a piece of the action......then it is time to exit.

8. Ronnie 666

I don't know what you are talking about ? The US $ is better than the Euro and The Chinese Yuan ????
    Look at the facts. Time to exit was 10 years ago into gold.....

1. US$ vs Yuan - US$ is falling off a cliff (looks pretty smelly to me)

[​IMG]

And compared to the Euro - nothing

[​IMG]

9. tolly_67

Don't forget that the yuan is not a floating currency and as for the euro, an invented currency with the backing of no country in particular....once the broke banks holding the bonds of the broke countries in europe are back in focus...an almighty rush out of the euro will occur and there are very few places that can absorb that kind of capital quickly apart from the stockmarket and the u.s. dollar.....forget about gold for the time being because it still has a negative correlation with the u.s. dollar at the moment and a rush into the dollar will put a lot of downward pressure on gold and silver.

10. Ronnie 666

The EU despite its ridiculous economic policy is still more solvent than the US. The Chinese have a real task at hand to out print the US as to keep the peg and they still can't keep up! All these currencies are doomed and I think that come the next crisis it will be a $ crisis and unlike 2008 they will not rush to the US $ but to gold. We will see!!!

11. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Mining is in the case gold largely irrelevant, since all gold ever mined added to the worlds bullion stockpile, that is now like 70 gold mining years. And alot of that gold is in central banks hands, with a long history of selling outside crises and buying inside. The exact opposite of what speculators do, thus inflicting them higher purchase prices (inside crises) and lower sell prices (outside crises).
    So those companies, alike those small ones from the tv series that popped up in recent years, well, they can go bankrupt/cease without impact on gold price trend as controlled by the central planning parasites.

12. tolly_67

Yes, that is true.......

On a falling price, falling demand....a lot of mining companies will go under and it will have no effect on gold price.....
    The effect is not felt until demand for gold picks up and prices rise. A company will not commit to mining until a reasonable profit margin is possible...if a company waits to long, the lead time for crushing and processing equipment turns into years, not months.
    Buying into a mining company at this point is very risky. If prices continue to fall....so may the company.

13. Dustin

Dustin New Member

lol..

14. Dustin

Dustin New Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBBCa7P4d1o[/youtube]

15. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We are in a conundrum. we stack for "just in case." The cheaper the silver, the more we stack. If it falls a bit more, we can buy a bit more. If it rises a bit more, we buy a bit less.

However, should it go to $30 or $36, we are justified in our actions, but we can only buy two thirds as much. It becomes a battle between our ego and our back pocket.

The only logical play is to go "all in." Should nothing happen, you have a shitload of silver. Should it drop, who cares, you're ready for the next rise; but should it mushroom, sell half the stack and wait for the next dip.

16. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    Dollar-cost-averaging is a fallacy played by mugs.

17. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

So buying into an investment (eg shares) on a regular basis as income becomes available is a fallacy ?

18. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No, that saving/investment strategy is driven by neccessity.
    As an investment method of choice, it's not favourable.

19. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I must be a mug because now, more than previously, this has become my strategy.

20. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I take it you're not a fan of Harry Browne's Permanent Portfolio then?